Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

Can anyone recommend and installer in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 agentblue

bauney wrote: »
    Do many have their mowers out now?
    I put mine away in November thinking i was being smart but my grass is fairly long and still growing (albeit slower)

Is there any harm in the grass getting longer that it should be for the mower (even at top height) before it starts out for the new season? i have automower 430x

/

I have mine out on a reduced schedule. In the past I have found that the mower has no problem cutting grass taller than the mower itself!! The only downside is that your lawn looks like a mess for the first few cuts as the mower is bending some of the grass rather than cutting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend and installer in Cork?

Atkins do sale and installation if it’s any help to you. Most dealers would be supporting installation I’d think

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bauney

KCross wrote: »
    Put mine out about 2 weeks ago and let it cut it all at top height and then brought it back in as the temps dropped to freezing again (so the grass stops growing).

It just means it will be a bit easier for the mower later when it has to go back out again and the lawn does look a bit better too.

What height do you normally have the automower at?

I normally cut it at the 2nd highest level (cant remember what number).
    I would have left it cutting occasionally except that i extended the lawn last year and that part is horribly wet and spongy. I just walked it there and heard squelching all around, it looks fine from afar but its a mess when u walk on it. i was hoping to stay off it completely until it gets a bit drier but when will that happen. The soil is poor quality and heavily compacted in that the water cannot penetrate well at all. And yes i put in loads of pipes and drainage stone.

On a side note/different post arguably: has anyone done any aerating of their lawns for such issues? this area is about 1000sq meters of heavy compact wet soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭WhichWay

Charlieville plant hire are good to deal with in north cork.
    Mine was out at Christmas max height . Going out again today for 48 hours if rain and frost stay away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Water John

MCCarthys Macroom Tool Hire sell and install also, Husky.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Just want to confirm..., I have my eye on a 430x in a German shop (official dealer) , I take it the warranty is Europe wide - anybody any issues getting problems resolved with Irish dealers with a mower bought elsewhere..., just double checking before I purchase...... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I'm up and running as of yesterday with my 2017 model 430x, autoconnect module and shiny headlights.
    Fingers crossed.

Moreilly wrote: »
    Just want to confirm..., I have my eye on a 430x in a German shop (official dealer) , I take it the warranty is Europe wide - anybody any issues getting problems resolved with Irish dealers with a mower bought elsewhere..., just double checking before I purchase...... ;)

Mine is from GPLshop in Sweden, curious about this too. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭staples7

Roen wrote: »
    I'm up and running as of yesterday with my 2017 model 430x, autoconnect module and shiny headlights.
    Fingers crossed.

How did the install of the guide wire go? What size lawn? Cheers!

• Advertisement

staples7 wrote: »
    How did the install of the guide wire go? What size lawn? Cheers!

So was about to do it myself and half an hour in I called the local installer. He got out a week later and the install went without a hitch. Green light straight away.
    About 1hr 30min and 300m of boundary and guide wire laid with his machine.

Lawn in the rear of the house is 1250sqm, fairly straight forward, only 5 islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭fanzhiyidan

Hi All,

thinking of pulling the pin and buying a Husqvarna 315x in the next few weeks through a local dealer/installer.
    I've read on the official website that the batteries need to be replaced every 2-4 years. Has anyone had experience of battery decline and how much are they to replace?

Also, I've put up some fencing to separate the back garden from the front while the kids are small so the fence will have to stay in place for a few years yet. I'll probably have to lift the mower to the back garden which I think i'm fine with.
    However, is it easy to adjust the wire so that I can change the route/layout of the lawn in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Hi All,

thinking of pulling the pin and buying a Husqvarna 315x in the next few weeks through a local dealer/installer.
    I've read on the official website that the batteries need to be replaced every 2-4 years. Has anyone had experience of battery decline and how much are they to replace?

Also, I've put up some fencing to separate the back garden from the front while the kids are small so the fence will have to stay in place for a few years yet. I'll probably have to lift the mower to the back garden which I think i'm fine with.
    However, is it easy to adjust the wire so that I can change the route/layout of the lawn in the future?

i have my guide wire on lawn surface as i'm adjusting regularly as I plant trees etc... (new lawn since last year, alot to do). once the grass growth really takes off in spring the wire becomes unnoticeable quickly but still easy to find and move if needed.

some others on forum have made a hole at base of their fence to allow mower travel through to other sections. Probably a nice escape route for kids too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I've my 330X for 5 years now. Still on its day 1 battery. Still get the same cutting time per charge so I think the 2-4yrs is very pessimistic. Maybe Husqvarna just covering themselves for warranty purposes.

I think the battery replacement is around €200 but dont quote me on that.

Shaunoc wrote: »
    i have my guide wire on lawn surface as i'm adjusting regularly as I plant trees etc... (new lawn since last year, alot to do). once the grass growth really takes off in spring the wire becomes unnoticeable quickly but still easy to find and move if needed.

some others on forum have made a hole at base of their fence to allow mower travel through to other sections. Probably a nice escape route for kids too.

that's what I'd be worried about....escape to victory!!
    Anyone have any ideas of a lawnmower only way of getting from one side of a fence to another?

that's what I'd be worried about....escape to victory!!
    Anyone have any ideas of a lawnmower only way of getting from one side of a fence to another?

3 options....
    - Physically carry the mower between lawns. Some people do it. It wouldnt be for me. It defeats the purpose of having a robot mower if you have to carry it every few hours between charge sessions.

- Buy an extra charging station and setup the perimeter wire as two separate lawns. You'd still have to carry it between the lawns but at least you could leave it on one lawn for half the week and the other lawn for the other half and it would autonomously do its thing.

- Get kids that are bigger than the mower! :)
    Ultimately if you want the mower to cover the entire area without being physically moved it has to be able to drive itself through whatever gaps you give it. If your child is smaller than that gap there isnt much you can do.

would it be possible to have the mower set to mow the back lawn during certain times ie night time where I could leave a gate open for the mower to go through?

Then if I forget to open the gate, the mower bumps into it and continues cutting the front lawn??

would it be possible to have the mower set to mow the back lawn during certain times ie night time where I could leave a gate open for the mower to go through?

Then if I forget to open the gate, the mower bumps into it and continues cutting the front lawn??

Yea, that would work.

It needs to be a bit wider than your average gate though.

By the by, the installer was at a course the day before he called over. A goal of Husqvarna is to do away with boundary and guide wires altogether and have wireless charging by 2022.

Would rely on GPS for boundaries and god knows how it would do wireless charging. Body of the mower is way too high up for inductive charging to take place.

Either way some interesting tech to come in the garden.

By the by, the installer was at a course the day before he called over. A goal of Husqvarna is to do away with boundary and guide wires altogether and have wireless charging by 2022.

Would rely on GPS for boundaries and god knows how it would do wireless charging. Body of the mower is way too high up for inductive charging to take place.

Either way some interesting tech to come in the garden.
    irobot are going to do something similar this year, working off GPS and some wireless poles in the garden for accurate positioning, no boundary wire necessary..., Just manually drive around the boundary once and it remembers....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

shouldnt be that hard the vacuums do it

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Cyrus wrote: »

vacuums have a nice wall to bounce off.

Cyrus wrote: »
    The price of these lawnmowers will drop big time when companys like Xiaomi get in on the act, the likes of husqvarna are seriously overpriced , when you look at the tech that's in them. My 250 euro Xiaomi vaccum has more tech, laser mapping, misses nothing, very intelligent in the way it cleans and the routes it takes around the house and doesn't randomly bounce around....at 250 euro.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

The price of these lawnmowers will drop big time when companys like Xiaomi get in on the act, the likes of husqvarna are seriously overpriced , when you look at the tech that's in them. My 250 euro Xiaomi vaccum has more tech, laser mapping, misses nothing, very intelligent in the way it cleans and the routes it takes around the house and doesn't randomly bounce around....at 250 euro.......

Sounds good, can you give a link to that . tia

https://m.gearbest.com/robot-vacuum/pp_440546.html?wid=1433363

https://youtu.be/eWLWO5AxAHo

Comes up cheaper every now and again, plus try and get it from a European warehouse to avoid customs (fast-23) option on shipping, don't see it there at the moment though ... :( , Have one a couple of months now, great little machine ..now it's time to automate the lawn !!

But at the same time the prices for the Husqvarna are on the way up, albeit with newer models.

Will take something like Xiaomi coming along to knock them down alright.

The price of these lawnmowers will drop big time when companys like Xiaomi get in on the act, the likes of husqvarna are seriously overpriced , when you look at the tech that's in them.
    But at the same time the prices for the Husqvarna are on the way up, albeit with newer models.

Will take something like Xiaomi coming along to knock them down alright.

The thing is the robot mowers are out 10 years or more now so its not like its breaking tech so if they were going to muscle in you'd think they'd have done it by now?

And there are several competitors in there already from all the major lawnmower manufacturers so its not like they have the market cornered.

The likes of Xiaomi might be only interested in consumer electronics and not so much lower volume external garden stuff that lasts years rather than months, but you never know.

It's far from new tech !, Take a look at this video, well worth a look :)https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/1000685544647475201?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Ginger83

staples7 wrote: »
    On a slightly separate note has anyone heard of one being nicked? My biggest fear being near a busy road. Will be purchasing one with the GPS tracking. And I know their useless without the pin but there are idiots out there with nothing better to do. Neither of the dealers I’ve been talking to have had stories of stolen units....

I've a Stihl imow booked for April, with gps.

• Advertisement

Interesting to see the pivoting blades were there 40+ years ago. Great vid.

Advertisement