Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Roen wrote: »
    I bought the 2017 version, which has no app connectivity and bought the automow connect module separately. Still worked out cheaper than the '18 version.

How much did you pay for the module?
    Did you install it yourself? Was it easy?
    Did the module come with a SIM and it was just plug 'n play?

Any SIM card topups required to keep the SIM active?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

KCross wrote: »
    How much did you pay for the module?
    Did you install it yourself? Was it easy?
    Did the module come with a SIM and it was just plug 'n play?

Any SIM card topups required to keep the SIM active?

€280.

Still to arrive, only ordered it all.

As far as I know it's not a user installable item and will be done by the lads I'm getting it off. Not sure on any of the above re SIM but I haven't seen it listed as a requirement anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭staples7

On a slightly separate note has anyone heard of one being nicked? My biggest fear being near a busy road. Will be purchasing one with the GPS tracking. And I know their useless without the pin but there are idiots out there with nothing better to do. Neither of the dealers I’ve been talking to have had stories of stolen units....

I know a few lads with them and so far so good. Some are behind gates and some relatively open. All in quiet country roads though.

My main worry is the opportunist who doesn't know what he's knicking is useless.
    It gets lifted and then an hour later dumped in a ditch.
    That and some passing scumbag that just tossed it out of badness.
    This is doing the back garden for the time being. I might connect up one part of the front eventually though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 deccydohc

I know a few lads with them and so far so good. Some are behind gates and some relatively open. All in quiet country roads though.

My main worry is the opportunist who doesn't know what he's knicking is useless.
    It gets lifted and then an hour later dumped in a ditch.
    That and some passing scumbag that just tossed it out of badness.
    This is doing the back garden for the time being. I might connect up one part of the front eventually though.

The X models have Theft protection by GPS and the Automower® Connect gives you full control of the mower right in your smartphone. You can easily send start, stop and park commands, check and adjust settings. If required also receive alarms and track your mower’s position in case of theft

• Advertisement

deccydohc wrote: »
    The X models have Theft protection by GPS and the Automower® Connect gives you full control of the mower right in your smartphone. You can easily send start, stop and park commands, check and adjust settings. If required also receive alarms and track your mower’s position in case of theft

I think all X Models have GPS but they dont all have the SIM module by default.... or at least didnt until recently.

So you could have an X model that has GPS but you cant track its location. The GPS is only used by the mower itself to navigate around the lawn and map where it has been. Without the SIM module you cant track its location if its robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 deccydohc

I think all X Models have GPS but they dont all have the SIM module by default.... or at least didnt until recently.

So you could have an X model that has GPS but you cant track its location. The GPS is only used by the mower itself to navigate around the lawn and map where it has been. Without the SIM module you cant track its location if its robbed.

I think the X models from 2018 models and up come with the 10 year mobile data contract included. Through Automower Connect you will always have full control from your smartphone.

Taken from Husqvarna website - "Theft protection by GPS
    Products equipped with Automower Connect®/Husqvarna Fleet Services™ immediately begin tracking its GPS position and send notifications to your devices. Makes the Automower® installation extra safe and minimizes the risk of theft."

The Automow Connect gadget I got has 'Free use for 10 years.' on it. The manual mentions GPRS signal too so I'd say even though it's a 2017 model you can get the full functionality out of it.

Still is not much use though.
    Someone sees it, nicks it, tosses it. You can find it handy enough but it's in 7 pieces in a ditch.

I need to read up on how people are insuring these. Cos usually all bets are off unless something is kept in a locked garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Yeah me insurance company refused to insure my 430x.

Where are people ordering their blades from?

padraig.od wrote: »
    Yeah me insurance company refused to insure my 430x.

Where are people ordering their blades from?

Loads on amazon, not sure of the quality, I got some original spares when I ordered mine from GPL shop.

• Advertisement

Loads on amazon, not sure of the quality, I got some original spares when I ordered mine from GPL shop.

Saw them on GPL but delivery is a bit steep.

Saw them on GPL but delivery is a bit steep.

Local dealer then really. That's what the lads in work so for theirs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I get them in local dealer, I find I don't need to replace more than once or at most twice per season so they're not that expensive.

I'd put a fresh set on for the first cut of the season to make life a bit easier for the mower.

After that one or two changes and thats it.... so 9 blades max in total for the year for the Husqvarna... cheap mowing!

I'd put a fresh set on for the first cut of the season to make life a bit easier for the mower.

After that one or two changes and thats it.... so 9 blades max in total for the year for the Husqvarna... cheap mowing!

My blades were in an awful state when I changed them on the weekend. I have a new set in, only 3 spare left. Do you buy from Husqvarna or pick up generics?

My blades were in an awful state when I changed them on the weekend. I have a new set in, only 3 spare left. Do you buy from Husqvarna or pick up generics?

I've done both.
    Cant see any difference in the generics tbh. Bought a set of 30 from ebay for ~€20

Just search for "30x Blades Knives husqvarna" and you'll see plenty. Just check the thickness of the blade in the ad (0.6mm+ is good. I use 0.75mm)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

I've done both.
    Cant see any difference in the generics tbh. Bought a set of 30 from ebay for ~€20

Just search for "30x Blades Knives husqvarna" and you'll see plenty. Just check the thickness of the blade in the ad (0.6mm+ is good. I use 0.75mm)

what is the advantage of using slightly thicker blade?
    longer life / rougher lawn...?

Shaunoc wrote: »
    what is the advantage of using slightly thicker blade?
    longer life / rougher lawn...?

Nothing I'd say. I just bought what was available and they work fine.

The last pack of genuine Husqy blades I bought were 0.6mm. I dont think it matters as long as you are in or around those values.

Anything thicker and I'd say they wouldnt spin on the bolts properly. i.e. The blades pivot, they are not in a fixed position so they need to be able to spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

i got a stash of 30 spurious .45mm blades which will keep me going for next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭randombar

One of the lads in work here is looking for a lawnmower plus installation, I keeping an eye on husq 430 with the size of garden I have but he has a Large town garden rather than the bloody field out the back of mine. What kind of price are we talking and any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭staples7

GaryCocs wrote: »
    One of the lads in work here is looking for a lawnmower plus installation, I keeping an eye on husq 430 with the size of garden I have but he has a Large town garden rather than the bloody field out the back of mine. What kind of price are we talking and any recommendations?

Automower 105 should be more than able for that size (Up to .14 acres).

https://www.gplshop.co.uk/robotic-lawnmower-husqvarna-automower/husqvarna-automower-105.php

The 310 might be overkill? (Up to .25 of an acre)

https://www.gplshop.co.uk/group-2178148/group-2178982/husqvarna-automower-310-2018.php

There's a chart somewhere that outlines the model versus the size of your garden in terms of how long the mower will be out for. I went next size up from what I could have got away with as I don't want the thing cutting 24/7.
    I think it'll do my back lawn and the small section of front I can connect in 13 hours a day.
    Any smaller and it'd be out when I'm playing with the kid.

Edit. It's in the manual for each mower. Can check the PDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That seems to be recommended. Go a size up from what could well do the job.
    Another guide might be about half the size of the max suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

For those looking for mower I have these items.

Mcculloch ROB 600 Robotic Lawn Mower, UK and EU plug, 18 V, Up to 600 m sq https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NBXR31R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_kmJqCbD3WHG3N

Mcculloch ROB 1000 Robotic Lawn Mower 18 V, Up to 1000 m sq https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N0Y4IK7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_hpJqCbKR87XFK

I have 3 seperate Lawn areas and have two ROB 1000 and one ROB 600. Purchased start of last season.

Mcculloch is a Husqvarna company. Mower manual badged with Husqvarna. Parts look like Husqvarna. Battery branded Husqvarna.

All mowers worked faultless over season. All still out with reduced hours given continual growth up until last week or two.

Amazon don’t deliver this item to Ireland so I used An Post AddressPal. Box within weight/dimensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

I am looking into getting one of these. I have 2 separate lawns with tarmac drive separating. I have ducting for 1 line under the tarmac connecting the lawns but salesman told me I would need 2 lines to connect, and the mower can't cross a driveway with one line alone, it has to stick between 2 as a corridor or else return by crossing somewhere else on the drive.

This is a pain as if I had known before I laid the tarmac I would have buried 2 ducts instead of one.
    Any solutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

I am looking into getting one of these. I have 2 separate lawns with tarmac drive separating. I have ducting for 1 line under the tarmac connecting the lawns but salesman told me I would need 2 lines to connect, and the mower can't cross a driveway with one line alone, it has to stick between 2 as a corridor or else return by crossing somewhere else on the drive.

This is a pain as if I had known before I laid the tarmac I would have buried 2 ducts instead of one.
    Any solutions?

Consaw two tracks across the tarmac either side of your existing ducting. Presume ducting is for guide wire and outer wires will form the corridor in which mower will travel. Fill tracks consawed out with black silicon when finished, neat enough job, as tracks only need to be the width of the blade to fit perimeter wire

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

septicsac wrote: »
    Consaw two tracks across the tarmac either side of your existing ducting. Presume ducting is for guide wire and outer wires will form the corridor in which mower will travel. Fill tracks consawed out with black silicon when finished, neat enough job, as tracks only need to be the width of the blade to fit perimeter wire

Sounds good I'll look into this.

On a related note, is there a big risk of driving over it? Salesman told me that with regard to the wire crossing problem, id probably be better off forgetting about linking the lawns and lifting it to the second lawn, and eliminating the risk of destroying it with the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Obviously if someone drives into it will result in damage, but carrying it over kind of defeats the purpose of a robotic mower. I had same dilemma, I put post box at the gate, to eliminate postman and usually run mine at night. I also bought some reflective tape so it can be seen better, but I live in country so not attracting too much unwanted attention either

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bauney

Do many have their mowers out now?
    I put mine away in November thinking i was being smart but my grass is fairly long and still growing (albeit slower)

Is there any harm in the grass getting longer that it should be for the mower (even at top height) before it starts out for the new season? i have automower 430x

/

• Advertisement

bauney wrote: »
    Do many have their mowers out now?
    I put mine away in November thinking i was being smart but my grass is fairly long and still growing (albeit slower)

Is there any harm in the grass getting longer that it should be for the mower (even at top height) before it starts out for the new season? i have automower 430x

/

Put mine out about 2 weeks ago and let it cut it all at top height and then brought it back in as the temps dropped to freezing again (so the grass stops growing).

It just means it will be a bit easier for the mower later when it has to go back out again and the lawn does look a bit better too.

What height do you normally have the automower at?

Advertisement