Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant brain fog and fatigue ruining my life

Options
  • 22-10-2018 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm a 22 year old male and for the past two years I've been suffering with constant brain fog and really bad tiredness. I've had numerous blood tests, which have all came back as normal. I've had a sleep study and no issues were found.

I've been desperately browsing the internet for solutions to no avail. I do have a some stomach problems. I'm easily bloated off any food and I get full very easily. Also, I've noticed I have a green tongue which I have noticed before. This is giving me the idea I may have candida. I'm wondering how would the doctor diagnose this?

I'm currently eating gluten free for the last couple of days to see if it will make any difference. I'm not a healthy eater by any means and would have at least two takeaways a week.

Basically I'm asking do you think candida is quite possible? And is there anything else you think could be causing this? Thanks
    Regards
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Diet is the obvious red flag from what you’re saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

How much sleep do you get each night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭JonDoe

Try intermittent fasting, basically pick an 8 hour window to eat all your food within, outside that period it's water only. It's all about not producing insulin outside the 8 hour window.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Munster46

I'd get at least 8 hours and still be exhausted when I wake up. Even if I slept for 10/11 hours I would still be wrecked. My sleep feels very light and I dream very vividly, the dreams are always related to things going on in my life. Thanks

endacl wrote: »
    Diet is the obvious red flag from what you’re saying.
    I've always said to myself that it couldn't be that obvious that it's my diet, but the more and more I read I'm coming to the conclusion it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Have you had an allergy test?
    It could be so many things but best to start eliminating things.

Green tongue - most people have had that, depending on what you've been eating. Unless we're talking a coating of grass

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Munster46 wrote: »
    I'd get at least 8 hours and still be exhausted when I wake up. Even if I slept for 10/11 hours I would still be wrecked. My sleep feels very light and I dream very vividly, the dreams are always related to things going on in my life. Thanks

That's good to hear that you are getting the required quantity of sleep. Why do you think your sleep feels very light?

If you are truthully getting at least 8 hours of sleep per night, then as others have suggested the obvious red flag is your diet.

Do you drink much water each day?

fritzelly wrote: »
    Have you had an allergy test?
    I'm planning on going to the doctor tomorrow morning to ask to be tested for coeliac, but I have heard that allergy tests aren't all that reliable, so I'm not going to be too optimistic.

That's good to hear that you are getting the required quantity of sleep. Why do you think your sleep feels very light?

If you are truthully getting at least 8 hours of sleep per night, then as others have suggested the obvious red flag is your diet.

Do you drink much water each day?

It's hard to explain, but I wake up a lot during the night. I drink about two liters of water everyday, maybe a bit more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Any thoughts on the state of your gut microbiome? Have you had antibiotics in the past? Tried supplementing with probiotics? Do your symptoms respond to increased fibre intake? Have you tried psyllium husks?

I get similar symptoms and it seems to be related to gut bacteria.

• Advertisement

A weekend fast never hurt anyone (and actually can be good for you) and see how you feel to rule out any food intolerances.
    Then on to your lifestyle...stress, exercise, work etc. Underlying internal conditions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

I'm planning on going to the doctor tomorrow morning to ask to be tested for coeliac, but I have heard that allergy tests aren't all that reliable, so I'm not going to be too optimistic.

The only definitive way to determine coeliac is through endoscopic biopsy. If having a biopsy it is important to remain on a gluten containing diet as the small intestine is sampled.

The symptoms you describe are similar to some of the symptoms I experience when I consume gluten.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gravity10

Look up the FODMAP diet, do it for a month. You will feel worse initially, but that is as the candida/bad bacteria die off. I found it life changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Captain Peanuts McDrummie

Have your blood tests already tested your thyroid function? Thyroid issues can cause fatigue / brain fog.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

As an aside get a sleep tracking app for your phone, Sleep Android is very good, it will record snoring and it might give you a few ideas on the “sleep hygiene” front. Heavy snoring or sleep apnea would certainly add to any brain fog issues.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭barneyrub

Coeliac is not an allergy so no allergy test for it. It's an autoimmune disease and first step to diagnosis is a blood test. Then confirmation by biopsy of the gut.

As you are already eating gluten free this will affect the potential results from any test. Are you long gluten free and are you fully gluten free? Do you still eat oats?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Did you bloods show a lack of anything?

Do you eat fruits and vegetables?

Very rare nowadays but ...
    Scurvy is a disease resulting from a lack of vitamin C (ascorbic acid). Early symptoms include weakness, feeling tired, and sore arms and legs. Without treatment, decreased red blood cells, gum disease, changes to hair, and bleeding from the skin may occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I used to get this brain fog and tiredness a lot, had Al allergy test done, was sent to immunology in Beaumont, also had the scopes done etc..

I am not imagining it, porridge, every fokin time, within an hour of eating it had that effect on me to the point were I felt off balance.

Eliminated it from my diet and the problem is gone.

Had a bowl last month and BOOM, felt like I was stoned for most of the day, took a half day in work and went to bed.

Try a food elimination diet and actually stick with it 100% and you'll be surprised you'll find at least 1 culprit.

If you don't, then it would be worth getting tested for lupus and sjogrens syndrom as both can cause this too

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭missbaker

Someone said already, try Intermittent fasting. I do along with a lazy keto diet and have never felt better. I have cut out carbs and sugar, which was tough at first but once my body adapted I was fine. I was always tired and sluggish. 6 months in , Im a new woman!

missbaker wrote: »
    I was always tired and sluggish. 6 months in , Im a new woman!

OP is a man, probably not the desired effect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭missbaker

fritzelly wrote: »
    OP is a man, probably not the desired effect

Crap. Scratch what I said then! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

JonDoe wrote: »
    Try intermittent fasting, basically pick an 8 hour window to eat all your food within, outside that period it's water only. It's all about not producing insulin outside the 8 hour window.

After reading your post, i weighed myself on November 2nd and i was 211 pounds. My BMI was 30.3.

I stuck to the fasting right up to Christmas and i fell apart for that and put on a few pounds but am back on track again with the fasting.

I am now 194 pounds and hope to knock off another 20 pounds and see then if the big belly is gone because that seems to be where it all is!

With Intermittent Fasting, i have to be disciplined in sticking to it and that works perfectly for me. No question of having this or that to eat during the fasting. I do the 16/8 version of it.

I am also walking lots more now and eating healthier than before and still making improvements along the way.

So thanks anyway for your post, it certainly gave me something to think about and do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Just something else to consider, you may have spinal / mechanical / muscular imbalance issues that could also cause some of these symptoms.
    Maybe take a trip to a physio and ask for a myofascial massage and trigger point release.

See what they say, so many possibilities it's so frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I'd suggest getting a full check of absolutely everything. Some of the private hospitals can do a proper screening with a physician. Thyroid, heart and lung function as well as endocrine issues : thyroid, diabetes etc should all get checked.

If you're not sleeping properly, check your sleep environment and get some advice from a sleep consultant. There are a quite a few good sleep clinics in the cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

how was bilirubin level in your blood tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I've had a sleep study
    Were you hooked up to machines overnight for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anotherfinemess

Go see an acupuncturist, preferably a Chinese one, not just a normal doctor with a bit of TCM training. Will cost money but is worth it. Speaking from experience. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Munster46 wrote:
    It's hard to explain, but I wake up a lot during the night. I drink about two liters of water everyday, maybe a bit more.

Too much water, unless your exercising daily your bossy doesn't need so much water. Probably what's waking you at night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

It is the porridge that always make me sleepy, I would love to know why

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Not slightly Stronger

Ok a few questions before we can figure out what may or maynot be causing problems for you.

No.1 Sleep ( you've answered this already and you seem to get enough hours rest

No.2 Hydration How much water do you drink in a day? Dehydration is one of the main causes of feeling fatigued so i would adress this. If your urine is not a pale yellow or clearer than you could do with upping your hydration. dark urine ov=bviously is a tell tale sign you need to drink more water.

No. 3 Sugar Intake - Are you constantly in a high low cycle with your sugar levels? Do you constanly drink suggary drinks like coke or eat alot of high sugar foods? the crash from constantly raising your sugar levels can simulate fatigie and brain fog.

No. 4 quality of your nutrition - What is your diet like? Do you eat a good selection of food (wide variety) or do you eat mainly takeaways and junk style convience food? What is your Vegtable intake like? Do you make sure you have a good source of protein with every meal? Poor nutrition is a cause of fatigue.

No.5 caffeine Intake -- Are you a big coffee drinkeer or do you drink alot of energy drinks. If so reducing your caffeine intake will actually help the feeling of fatigue although initially you may feel withdrawal affects they only last a few days.

No. 6 Are you eating enough calories or have you been on a "diet" in a deficit for a long period of time? Being in a calorie defiict for a long period of time ie. months will leave you feeling very fatigued and have difficulty concentrating.

Please ignore suggestions to go on a fast before you address all of the above issues :-/

Advertisement