Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

MoeJay wrote: »
    I guess it's official...

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/borrow/credit-cards/aer-credit-card/features-benefits/

..monthly fee and earning rate not particularly attractive? (Chase card in the states earns 1 avios per $1 spend non-Aer Lingus I think?)

Seems to be a complete waste of time.. Really disappointing to be honest..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

SB Morer wrote: »
    The redant in me notices that the old logo is on that card.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

Anybody know if you get tier credits for your travel regardless of how the flight was paid for (avios, complimentary upgrade etc.). Will I get business class tier credits if I have paid economy, and then upgraded it with points for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Diego Tristan

elgriff wrote: »
    Anybody know if you get tier credits for your travel regardless of how the flight was paid for (avios, complimentary upgrade etc.). Will I get business class tier credits if I have paid economy, and then upgraded it with points for example.

No, upgrades using either of those methods would mean you get tier credits based on the economy fare you paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

It's silly that you need to present it still.

BA is great.. Apple Wallet ticket clearly reflects your status and it's sufficient for fast track and lounges.

And starting since early Jan AL finally recognises Concierge on tickets and in the AL app (strangely Apple ticket does not reflect it). Because of the mess of rolling it out (got my Concierge card two months after!) I think all AL and other lounges now accept the Digital one. That said I like the kit (though cheaper this year instead of the gift box) and not like Delta where most tiers get nothing - even Gold does not warrant a card.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

elgriff wrote: »

You’ll only get Tier credits for the class you paid for. So if you book economy but fly business due to an upgrade, you’ll still only get the economy tier credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Just saw Bank of Ireland advertising the Aer Lingus credit card. The state of points rewards in Ireland (though hey, we probably pay less for it in fees than our American counterparts) - 1 avois for every €4 spent on non-Aer Lingus purchases (and 1:1 on AL). Non peak to London is 4,000 points, so €16k in spending will get you there. The sign up has 2 flights per year after spending €5k though, so the value is basically on the sign up. But for actual redeemable points on spending it's a bit dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Just saw Bank of Ireland advertising the Aer Lingus credit card. The state of points rewards in Ireland (though hey, we probably pay less for it in fees than our American counterparts) - 1 avois for every €4 spent on non-Aer Lingus purchases (and 1:1 on AL). Non peak to London is 4,000 points, so €16k in spending will get you there. The sign up has 2 flights per year after spending €5k though, so the value is basically on the sign up. But for actual redeemable points on spending it's a bit dry.

Just saw a big billboard before security in T2 when I was passing through this morning.
    Nothing in it for me so I won't be bothering with it, I don't spend any money on tickets with EI (company pays when I do use them), I don't spend any money onboard, I already have tens of thousands of Avios I don't know what to do with, I don't use the lounge even when I have access and my fast track security is already included in my tickets. My travel insurance costs me about €60 a year (for both of us) I also have travel insurance through work.
    I do put several €K a year of expenses on my credit card so it would be nice to get some sort of a points reward for my spending but this card doesn't really match what I'm looking for, hopefully it will open the door to a few other companies trying to come up with something similar...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭NSAman

Just saw a big billboard before security in T2 when I was passing through this morning.
    Nothing in it for me so I won't be bothering with it, I don't spend any money on tickets with EI (company pays when I do use them), I don't spend any money onboard, I already have tens of thousands of Avios I don't know what to do with, I don't use the lounge even when I have access and my fast track security is already included in my tickets. My travel insurance costs me about €60 a year (for both of us) I also have travel insurance through work.
    I do put several €K a year of expenses on my credit card so it would be nice to get some sort of a points reward for my spending but this card doesn't really match what I'm looking for, hopefully it will open the door to a few other companies trying to come up with something similar...

I'm Similar. Luckily I have both the United Card and the AA cards here. Even purchasing flights from Aer Lingus, I get points. OK AA's program has diminished in the amount of flights that you can use. BA used to be the main option for points, not now alas. As this is a company credit card, the points build up fast. for 65K normally is a first class ticket to Europe. Dates can be sometimes hard to get in AA, United seem more flexible on dates.

I wont be getting a BoI credit card as this is not something that I can actually use and do not think that there is value for money there.

THe other question is when will Aer Lingus Avios be able to be traded for something other than flights and hotels? Currently have over a hundred thousand points, the only thing I use them for is flying family to the States... for little or nothing.... but it would be nice to have other options.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Theres a €8 fee per month too, makes it dearer than my BOI plstinum card...dunno how they work out the free travel insurance part is worth €150pa.

• Advertisement

Theres a €8 fee per month too, makes it dearer than my BOI plstinum card...dunno how they work out the free travel insurance part is worth €150pa.

I missed the fee. So €96 for the perks, after you spend €5k on the card for the flights etc. I can see how it'd add value for some folks, but when you read the points sites from the US it's pretty thin gruel. But as I say (and I was reading some more about this today out of interest) a reason underlying it in Europe is that the EU capped interchange fees, at 0.3% on credit cards versus 1.5% plus charged in the US. So I guess there's where you get your 1 avios for €4 spent. The value of an avios is obviously difficult to pin down, but 4k for an off-peak flight to London that's probably costing €29.99; of which €9 is taxes, so €20.99 means your avios is worth €0.005 if I'm correct? Now you could go somewhere further during off peak and juice that value a bit, but that's quite the return on €4 spent (0.125%) but fits I guess within the envelope of a 0.3% interchange fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭cson

Surprised they haven't added Priority Boarding as full time benefit, it'd cost them nothing and would probably be attractive to a lot of travelers.

Something like the Chase Sapphire Reserve/Preferred would absolutely hoover up the millennial demographic in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Identical situation here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Avios and Aer Club in general are worthless and the BOI card is more so.

Cash fare for Dublin to LGW on 12th Feb is €29.99

The Avios Aer Club deal is 4000 Avios plus €36.05 in fees and they want you to spend thousands on the card to earn those Avios all for the benefit of giving them back 4000 of those Avios and an extra €6

Long haul and last minute short haul (with virtually non existent availability) offers mildly better "value" but in general bothering with the scheme is pointless.

The real value is to be found in ditching "loyalty" and flying with whoever offers the cheapest fare for any given trip

Avios and Aer Club in general are worthless and the BOI card is more so.

Cash fare for Dublin to LGW on 12th Feb is €29.99

The Avios Aer Club deal is 4000 Avios plus €36.05 in fees and they want you to spend thousands on the card to earn those Avios all for the benefit of giving them back 4000 of those Avios and an extra €6

Long haul and last minute short haul (with virtually non existent availability) offers mildly better "value" but in general bothering with the scheme is pointless.

The real value is to be found in ditching "loyalty" and flying with whoever offers the cheapest fare for any given trip

I suspect you’re correct. I like simple loyalty programs, like Hotels.com (collect 10 nights, get a voucher for the avg value of the 10 nights) and have ditched the complicated chain loyalty programs as a result. Even Ryanair’s approach to that model (putting the cash you spend against cash vouchers) is pretty compelling. I think the issue with a program like Aer Club is that there just isn’t enough juice from the program really to justify loyalty for loyalty sake, and the same goes for the credit card. Even if they offered you priority boarding on all flights, sure half the plane has priority boarding nowadays on many sectors thanks to seat sales and all the rest.

The only thing worth a damn from non-US loyalty programs nowadays is fast track security and occasionally getting to use a decent airlines lounge, ala KLM in Amsterdam back in the day. With EI I used to marvel at some of the Mendez or whatever they were IKEA lounges you’d get around Europe. But sure you can buy lounge access in most airports when you really need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I suspect you’re correct. I like simple loyalty programs, like Hotels.com (collect 10 nights, get a voucher for the avg value of the 10 nights) and have ditched the complicated chain loyalty programs as a result. Even Ryanair’s approach to that model (putting the cash you spend against cash vouchers) is pretty compelling. I think the issue with a program like Aer Club is that there just isn’t enough juice from the program really to justify loyalty for loyalty sake, and the same goes for the credit card. Even if they offered you priority boarding on all flights, sure half the plane has priority boarding nowadays on many sectors thanks to seat sales and all the rest.

The only thing worth a damn from non-US loyalty programs nowadays is fast track security and occasionally getting to use a decent airlines lounge, ala KLM in Amsterdam back in the day. With EI I used to marvel at some of the Mendez or whatever they were IKEA lounges you’d get around Europe. But sure you can buy lounge access in most airports when you really need it.

I thought there was some light at the end of that tunnel when they introduced the two "priority" queues in Dublin and Heathrow - 1 for AerClub followed by 1 for "purchased" priority.

But of course they just refuse to enforce it (much like half of the outstation airports ignore enforcing priority boarding altogether)

I’ve said it before here and I’ll say it again;

I’m convinced the whole (farcical) roll out of AerClub, and the absolutely abysmal return you get for Avios, not to mention the abysmal customer service a lot of folks experienced (and I’m sure continue to experience) is all just a ploy from IAG to drive people away from the Aer Lingus loyalty product.

From the outside it appears they have cut cost at every opportunity (the shockingly poor transfer of the IT when AerClub first rolled out (despite the repeated delays in the roll out to ‘ensure it was ready’), the quality of fare in the Dublin lounge has gone to pot (has anyone ever been there and witnessed all coffee machines functioning normally), the cheaper brown bread, butter, jam, soggier pastries etc...).

Perhaps this was all a demand placed on AL by uncle Willie when he finally got his hands on it, but either way, the AerClub model is certainly not designed to attract new custom, but rather drive existing custom away.

Of course they have their token publicity stunts like this new card which offers little to no real world benefit, or the Kildare Village offer, but what’s the point of giving out Avios if they are of extremely low value, and in most cases pointless to use as they actually make a fare more expensive!!

blackwhite wrote: »
    I thought there was some light at the end of that tunnel when they introduced the two "priority" queues in Dublin and Heathrow - 1 for AerClub followed by 1 for "purchased" priority.

But of course they just refuse to enforce it (much like half of the outstation airports ignore enforcing priority boarding altogether)

The state of "Priority Boarding" in general. Probably my favorite thing about flying in the US is the enforced boarding groups on many airlines. Physically segregated lines and bolshie gate staff, quite consistently enforced. Means even when you're flying down the back, your status can assure you easy boarding. I'd say if they want to get serious on this "Gateway to Europe" thing they'll need to sort that out, as it's the type of point that business travelers, the review bloggers, etc, will pick up on when they transfer to the short haul product.

To anyone complaining; I think you need to realise the low base you're coming from here - up until about 2 years ago (at a push) credit/debit card rewards were a virtual unknown in Ireland. At least you've got something now, albeit its utility is poor - better to get 1 Avios per 4 EUR than nothing.

It may serve to spur some competition if it works out - take a look at the latest AA earnings call, their co-brand cards from Barclays and Citi contributed more to the bottom line than mainstream revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

cson wrote: »
    To anyone complaining; I think you need to realise the low base you're coming from here - up until about 2 years ago (at a push) credit/debit card rewards were a virtual unknown in Ireland. At least you've got something now, albeit its utility is poor - better to get 1 Avios per 4 EUR than nothing.

For €96 per year it's not better than nothing though , it's effectively paying for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You get middling multi trip family travel insurance which costs about that anyway. However you get it cheaper on the Platinum card already

You would need to make sure the flight vouchers get used for suitable value really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

L1011 wrote: »
    You get middling multi trip family travel insurance which costs about that anyway. However you get it cheaper on the Platinum card already

You would need to make sure the flight vouchers get used for suitable value really

Yeah, agreed. If you pay approx 100 a year for family travel insurance, then this is a net win. Albeit a very minor win. Even if you put all your spending on the CC the amount of Avios won’t knock you over.

For €96 per year it's not better than nothing though , it's effectively paying for nothing.

What's better out there?

Lets say you put 20k on it = 5k Avios which at 1.5cpp = 75 EUR
    2 Lounge Passes = 60 EUR
    2 Fast Track Passes = 12 EUR
    2 Flights = 60 EUR (Lets be conservative)
    Travel Insurance = 30 EUR (Its a poor plan tbf)

I make that 235 EUR of value for 96 EUR fee, even if we discount the benefits by 50% you're still out ahead, albeit marginally.

It's a really ****e state of affairs compared to the US, but it is better than nothing.

This is all assuming the folks who go for it are not status members of AerClub and don’t already have lounge/FastTrack/Priority boarding anyway.

Is it not really defeating itself in that it’s aimed at folk who most likely already have half of the benefits the card provides?

This is all assuming the folks who go for it are not status members of AerClub and don’t already have lounge/FastTrack/Priority boarding anyway.

Is it not really defeating itself in that it’s aimed at folk who most likely already have half of the benefits the card provides?

I would see it as more of a play towards the millennial generation and their fondness for travel (witness even EI pointing toward their new livery allowing wingtip instagrams!).

There's big room for an aspirational metal card like the Chase Sapphire Reserve or Amex Platinum amongst that demographic imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

It's almost as useless as the loyalty scheme itself...

Out of curiosity is there anyone on here that would actually consider applying for one of these..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Out of curiosity is there anyone on here that would actually consider applying for one of these..?

Maybe, my annual travel insurance is 109 for the family. If this policy is as good, then for 96 Euro a year it’s the same cost so anything else would be a bonus. Need to read the details of the policy though.

If it is similar/better I will, if not then absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

cson wrote: »
    What's better out there?

Lets say you put 20k on it = 5k Avios which at 1.5cpp = 75 EUR
    2 Lounge Passes = 60 EUR
    2 Fast Track Passes = 12 EUR
    2 Flights = 60 EUR (Lets be conservative)
    Travel Insurance = 30 EUR (Its a poor plan tbf)

I make that 235 EUR of value for 96 EUR fee, even if we discount the benefits by 50% you're still out ahead, albeit marginally.

It's a really ****e state of affairs compared to the US, but it is better than nothing.

If you are spending 20k on it, you are probably already at least silver and getting the lounge and fast track for free.

Really that travel insurance is useless also so it's basically worthless since you would need proper coverage.

Better than nothing yes, but I can't see people flocking to it. You are better off using your SuperValu account and MasterCard for the groceries to build avios.

Reminds me of the revolut metal card, pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

As I said earlier on the thread I push well over 20k over my BOI credit card and I'm not Silver. Limited business travel off the island; was mostly on Cityjet - still won't be enough for Silver even now that's EI - and circumstance has meant that most of my leisure travel has been on KL and affiliates in the past few years. Don't have status with them either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SB Morer

I would strongly consider getting one when my travel insurance expires. I'd have to re-check the benefits, but I don't think they are any better on my current policy (which cost €80 for 2 of us) and which doesn't have winter sports cover. Everthing else is a bonus. I spend well over €20K a year on my card but don't do any business travel outside Ireland and so am nowhere near having status with Aer Lingus. Therefore the 'free' flights, lounge passes and fast-track security would be welcome.

As others have commented the Avios earning rate isn't fantastic, but it is the only option on the Irish market.

For those saying Avios are worthless, you really need to widen your view on what you can do with them. I'm planning to book a One World Multi-Carrier Award Ticket for Business Class travel to Japan on Cathay Pacific and JAL and should end up saving thousands of euros.

Also, although my inital gripe re this card was the lack of sign-up bonus and earnings when compared to the US Aer Lingus Credit Card from Chase Bank, it's unfair to compare it to an non-EU issued card, given the EU's cap on interchange fees.

However - it is entirely fair to compare this card to cards issued in other EU countries, such as:

France -
    Basic British Airways Visa Card: Annual Fee €24, 0.8 Avios per €1 spent (but double Avios on BA, Aer Lingus, Iberia and Level), Signup Bonus 6,000 Avios. Additional Benefits: 10% discount on BA flights.

France -
    Premium British Airways Visa Card: Annual Fee €96, 1 Avios per €1 spent (but triple Avios on BA, Aer Lingus, Iberia and Level), Signup Bonus 10,000 Avios. Additional Benefits: 10% discount on BA flights.

Italy -
    Basic British Airways Visa Card: Annual Fee €49, 1 Avios per €1 spent (but double Avios on BA, Aer Lingus, Iberia and Level), Signup Bonus 4,000 Avios. Additional Benefits: 10% discount on BA flights.

Spain -
    Iberia Icon Visa Card: Annual Fee: €90 (waived in year 1), 0.5 Avios per €1 spent, Signup Bonus: 9,000 Avios. Additional Benefits: Oneworld Ruby Status - so priority boarding on all OW flights, Business Class check-in, 25% bonus Avios on flights. The card also gets you a 10% discount on all Iberia flights and Preferred Plus status with Avis (=free car rental upgrades).

Basically, Irish customers are being asked to pay the same fees as the French BA Premium Card or the Iberia Icon Card, but get substantially lower benefits and Avios earning rates, but do get travel insurance. It is especially insulting that French or Italian BA credit card holders get 2 Avios on Aer Lingus bookings, when Irish Aer Lingus card holders get only 1 Avios per euro.

Aer Lingus really could, and should have done better. But then again they know they have no competition, what other options are there on the Irish market?

Advertisement