Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The process of claiming your 'free' flights reads like a promo offer from the Irish Daily Mirror.
    Log in to the Aer Credit Card portal. Click on the My Fares tab to complete the 2 Free Return Fares request form. Given travel restrictions we’ve outlined above, make sure you have a few preferred dates to suggest when completing the request form. Once you complete the form, you will receive a call back from an Aer Lingus representative within 24 hours (excluding weekends and bank holidays).”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Yamanoto wrote: »
    The process of claiming your 'free' flights reads like a promo offer from the Irish Daily Mirror.

Ah that’s BS. So you fill in a form and it goes to someone in head office to see what they can do for you. What use is that? No proper integration into IT systems shows it up as being a bit Mickey Mouse.

Thanks above for the comparison of European offers. That really does show it up. 4:1 vs 1:1 or near enough on point earnings is extremely disappointing, and the 10% discount on BA flights is actually really interesting if you are a frequent flyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Yamanoto wrote: »

...and it's enough to say that life is too short for me to even consider this card.

>20K/year and bucket loads of EI flights each year, but no trans-atlantics so no status.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Noxegon wrote: »
    ...and it's enough to say that life is too short for me to even consider this card.

>20K/year and bucket loads of EI flights each year, but no trans-atlantics so no status.

100% ain't worth **** unless you are used to.... shall spare the group. I put 30k a year through by BOI card but 90% of my flights are booked by a travel agents. Circa 10k a year in Avios isn't going to motivate me to do anything. And I value Avios quite highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Can anyone access their Aerclub this morning - since yesterday evening I cannot get in and wonder if it my profile or an Aerclub issue.

Includes just trying to log into my account when booking a flight too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Same here, stuck on the 'One Moment Please' and the spinning wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭rio1

I can’t access mine either, thought it was something I’d done.

Happy its not just me - you hear so many horror stories of Aer Club IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Wouldn't surprised me if their IT integration consisted of someone printing off stuff at a computer in one end of the building and typing it into a computer at the other end of the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

thebiglad wrote: »
    Can anyone access their Aerclub this morning - since yesterday evening I cannot get in and wonder if it my profile or an Aerclub issue.

Im getting the spinning wheel since yesterday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Yeah it takes a while for flights to appear and frequently needs you to log out and back in again to refresh your points. Can't log in for last day or so, like others. It is a dog of a system

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I haven't tried to log into mine since November 2017 when I decided I had better things to do than try and chase down missing points after every other flight.
    In other news I seem to have no difficulty logging into my AF/KLM flying blue and LH/SR miles and more accounts...

Working now - thankfully all points still present:P

Yeah it takes a while for flights to appear and frequently needs you to log out and back in again to refresh your points. Can't log in for last day or so, like others. It is a dog of a system

It takes me 7 days to get tier credits and avios!

It takes me 7 days to get tier credits and avios!

Is that for return flights to Dublin too? I find them to be terrible. Can take weeks and then still have to fill in form and follow up. Flights out of Dublin are usually between 5 and 7 days.

Mine are posting recently, consistently at 5 days - I prefer this to the old 3 days to ??? range. Haven't needed to submit a missing flights form in a while now.

Mine are posting recently, consistently at 5 days - I prefer this to the old 3 days to ??? range. Haven't needed to submit a missing flights form in a while now.

I thought they had got better, but I have two flights back to Dublin from mid January haven’t got Avios or Tier Credits for yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

cson wrote: »
    What's better out there?

Lets say you put 20k on it = 5k Avios which at 1.5cpp = 75 EUR
    2 Lounge Passes = 60 EUR
    2 Fast Track Passes = 12 EUR
    2 Flights = 60 EUR (Lets be conservative)
    Travel Insurance = 30 EUR (Its a poor plan tbf)

I make that 235 EUR of value for 96 EUR fee, even if we discount the benefits by 50% you're still out ahead, albeit marginally.

It's a really ****e state of affairs compared to the US, but it is better than nothing.

How does the Govt duty work - is there an ideal time to transfer to reduce cost ?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SB Morer

banchang wrote: »
    How does the Govt duty work - is there an ideal time to transfer to reduce cost ?

You will never escape paying the duty, regardless of when you open or close an account.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/stamp-duty/other-stamp-duty/financial-cards/credit-cards-charge-cards.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

SB Morer wrote: »
    You will never escape paying the duty, regardless of when you open or close an account.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/stamp-duty/other-stamp-duty/financial-cards/credit-cards-charge-cards.aspx

I think they meant how to avoid paying it twice if changing supplier, which the linked document does cover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 New_home_2018

How many tier points do you get per flight. Does it work on price? Travelling a lot to continent for work this year

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It depends on the fare class

All Europe is the same regardless of distance, just depends on fare class, saver fares 7.5, regular 15, plus 25 and advantage 50.

All explained here: https://www.aerlingus.com/aerclub/using-aerclub/tiers-and-benefits/#/tab-0-green

If your a self booker and always check a bag into the hold, book the plus fare for the extra €30-€40 and guarantee yourself the 25 tier credits for each flight.

rio1 wrote: »
    Is that for return flights to Dublin too? I find them to be terrible. Can take weeks and then still have to fill in form and follow up. Flights out of Dublin are usually between 5 and 7 days.

I haven't flown from Dublin in a few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Noxegon

If your a self booker and always check a bag into the hold, book the plus fare for the extra €30-€40 and guarantee yourself the 25 tier credits for each flight.

Unless something dramatic has changed the only way to guarantee tier credits is to check that they’ve been given to you and chase them repeatedly when they haven’t.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

7 flights so far in 2019, every single one posted exactly 4 days later, avios 5 days.

Only problem in last 4 months was a goof up at Dusseldorf where the ground agents messed things up and EI's records said I was not on the plane at all! Took some discussion with EI to prove otherwise...

Noxegon wrote: »
    Unless something dramatic has changed the only way to guarantee tier credits is to check that they’ve been given to you and chase them repeatedly when they haven’t.

Bar 1 or 2 delays in early 2017, all tier credits posted for me after 3/4 days (about 900 tier credits)

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Arbie

Just noticed missing United miles from Lufthansa coded flights from a few weeks back. Went on United website, typed in a few details, and the miles were in my account in seconds. I couldn't believe how easy it was.

Aer Lingus, by comparison... still waiting for miles on EI flights from May 2018, Sept 2018, Dec 2018...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Arbie wrote: »
    Just noticed missing United miles from Lufthansa coded flights from a few weeks back. Went on United website, typed in a few details, and the miles were in my account in seconds. I couldn't believe how easy it was.

Aer Lingus, by comparison... still waiting for miles on EI flights from May 2018, Sept 2018, Dec 2018...

That was part of the problem I had claiming missing points, there was no acknowledgment of your correspondence or their mistake, so for people doing a lot of flights trying to claim random missing flights it was a real pain. You submit the missing points claim, they might credit you the points but they wouldn't acknowledge it. I would often only be able to tell I'd been credited by checking my Avios and even then there seemed no logical reason why some of the flights had since been credited but others not. I used to email to try and get this resolved but nine times out of ten they went unanswered.
    By comparison if you claim for missing points on KLM/AF flying blue you get them instantly as soon as you enter the flight details, there is no technical reason why AerClub couldn't do the same so you have to assume it's because they don't want to.

Advertisement