Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Mate. What are you talking about? Do you think there were no nurses in any hospitals yesterday? Dying? Get real son and lay off the hyperbole.

Christ you are like that person who says why do pharmacists get paid so much? All they do is put labels on bottles.

You don't think there were any dying people in hospital yesterday? Or were you so eager to misread my post that you assumed I meant dying from inattention from the nurses?

wrangler wrote: »
    Unfortunately all the sick and dying can't get into the hospitals, they're still on the 500000 patient waiting list

So you reckon at any one time that more 10% of the Irish population need to be in hospital?

mikhail wrote: »
    You don't think there were any dying people in hospital yesterday? Or were you so eager to misread my post that you assumed I meant dying from inattention from the nurses?

I didn't see any decrease in nurse staffing levels on wards yesterday. So I don't see how it makes any difference from any other day in Irish hospitals?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I work in a public hospital and am busy rescheduling bucket loads of patients and sticking them anywhere possible, it's getting harder and harder to do especially as the urgent ones are piling up and tempers all around are badly frayed. Nurses at entry level and the lower ends of the scale absolutely should be paid more for what they do....they are literally unbelievable all that they are responsible for even for nurses outside of inpatient/A&E areas.

I don't agree with raises across the board. Plenty of management (not clinical CNMs) in nursing who are overpaid. Certainly there are a LOT of regular admin at the high grades (NOT patient facing clerical but those several grades above) who are overpaid and underworked. I'd love to see nursing pay rise diverted from these overpaid types in the HSE. Obviously it will never happen as all of them are unionised but pity it can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,228 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I work in a public hospital and am busy rescheduling bucket loads of patients and sticking them anywhere possible, it's getting harder and harder to do especially as the urgent ones are piling up and tempers all around are badly frayed. Nurses at entry level and the lower ends of the scale absolutely should be paid more for what they do....they are literally unbelievable all that they are responsible for even for nurses outside of inpatient/A&E areas.

I don't agree with raises across the board. Plenty of management (not clinical CNMs) in nursing who are overpaid. Certainly there are a LOT of regular admin at the high grades (NOT patient facing clerical but those several grades above) who are overpaid and underworked. I'd love to see nursing pay rise diverted from these overpaid types in the HSE. Obviously it will never happen as all of them are unionised but pity it can't.

Alot of new entrants are getting an extra 3k or so on top of their increment and PSSA pay rise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

That's the thing though. The inmo don't care about the young nurses coming in at all.

I was a patient on a ward. We had one student nurse running around doing everything. Including cleaning the toilet. At one stage I told her to go have a cry and come back when she was ready. She had no support from her qualified colleagues at all. She said it was awful and she wanted to leave Irish hospitals as soon as she could. I have a number of friends who left nursing in Ireland. In both cases poor treatment and bullying by older nurses played a large part.

The inmo have threatened to strike if hospitals introduce theatre assistants which happens in many countries and would relieve some staffing issues.
    The inmo are doing what unions always do protect the older members and screw the rest.
    They want raises for everyone including those with cushy numbers in smaller public hospitals and nursing homes. Nurses in eds and on busy wards deserve more but that won't play with those members.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

noodler wrote: »
    I'm disappointed by the lack of analytical thought by, seemingly, the majority of the public.

When did 36k become a bad starting salary?

Nobody is really basing their support on anything other than a general believe that they are underpaid and there is a retention issue when there is vast evidence to the contrary.

What's more, there have been nurse pay rises every year since 2016, and again this year as part of PS deals. Ignoring annual increments.

Just saying they should be paid more because, is serious slippery slope stuff.

The attacks on individual ministers and politicians all over social media is borderline pathetic. You'd swear being a TD or a minister was an 9-5 job, or even being a Minister.

Pay increases the whole public sector gets causing a rabble when they are applied to politicians etc.

Its just disappointing how populism runs rampant over the country when we've been spending like mad the last few years.

Sorry , eh, Leo, starting salary is 30 k .
    And noone is saying tds or ministers work 9 to 5 , but the skiing in Davos can hardly be charged to the taxpayer....or can it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I predict 2021 and the IMF will be back slashing nurses pay by up to 40% again, what do others guess?

Turkeys voting for xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I predict 2021 and the IMF will be back slashing nurses pay by up to 40% again, what do others guess?

Austerity worked the last time by?

Genuinely Iittle simple for them. They knew what they were getting themselves into both pay and work conditions

Don’t like it leave , simple as

That is exactly the point, nurses ARE leaving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Turkeys voting for xmas

Get back under the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,460 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Austerity worked the last time by?

By getting our costs in check so we rebounded to the country with the highest growth with full employment restored within a decade of the downturn?

Or by getting angry at all developers, being informed we had built enough houses for the next 3 decades by all the left leaning cheerleaders only to have that blow up in our faces and go back to same developers with all the building skills and getting them to build again?

Which one or both, or neither?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Goldengirl wrote: »

Repost from yesterday.
    Here is an interesting article about nursing levels from 2004

Motivations on choosing to do Nursing Article
    Although the demand for training has increased, 70 per cent of nurses leave Ireland within two years of qualifying, writes Fiona Tyrrell.

A degree in nursing is seen as a "passport to travel" by students, according to Irish Nurses' Organisation (INO) general secretary Liam Doran. He says the increased demand for nursing places has been prompted in part by the higher profile afforded to the profession by the new nursing degree courses and inclusion in the CAO system.

The demand for the new courses, established in 2002, continues to rise, and the points required (between 360 and 400) are greater than that for an arts degree.

More nurses are being trained in Ireland than ever before, with a 90 per cent increase in the number of trainees in the past five years. Last September, 1,740 started their nursing degree, compared with 900 in 1998.

That would indicate, in the eyes of the then INMO secretary, that many nursing applicants specifically choose nursing because it would facilitate them getting to travel.

Nurses holding up banners abroad saying "give us a reason to come home" should have a think about the reason they selected nursing when filling out their CAO.

Miike wrote: »
    Get back under the bridge.

Cool so you obviously didn’t feel the hit of the last austerity.

Let’s go again, same mistakes again and scratching our heads in 3 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Repost from yesterday.

You're citing an article from 2004 that still refers to intellectual disability nursing as mental handicap nursing and trying to make it relevant to today.

In the last 12 months alone nursing education and standards have changed dramatically but how would arm chair experts know that? In 2004 the system was nothing similar to what it is today bar the fact they still call them nurses when they graduate. We churn out some of the best trained clinicians in the world and the attitude of people here is "ah let them feck off to Australia if they've notions of more money!" and also "jaysus isnt it awful the hse is useless and the standard of care is terrible".

The real problem here is that people have an opinion on a topic that they haven't the foggiest notion about but believe with conviction that they are experts.

Lillyfae wrote: »
    It's unbelievable. I was just listening to a podcast this morning, from before the strike, a woman whose father was in hospital was supporting the striking nurses. She said that whilst in hospital, he had had an accident resulting in surgery, but that the nurses were angels and deserved everything and more- that the care he was getting was second to none. I thought, literally, it's second to none- second to no care at all, negligence. I would be suing the hospital!

There certainly should be nurses of varying degrees of qualification but specialization should be done on a necessity basis. It seems to me that any nurse can train for management and then are paid as such because they have that qualification. Of course we need more nurses on the wards, more than we need the salary to be higher. I don't think there was ever a need for standard nursing to require a degree, and to be honest, I'd feel the same about teaching.

People aren't becoming nurses because they care about anyone. It's an in demand skill with guaranteed employment, and ample opportunity to work abroad- once everyone wakes up to that fact we'll be alot better off.

This is all over the place!
    According to this post, nurses would be better if they were caring, less educated, didn't ask for more money and took the 'ample opportunity to work abroad '??
    Teachers too ! :) How exactly does that solve the staffing crisis?
    Nurses do not get paid for every course they do, only the qualifications they are using to look after their patients.And that is capped at two major awards.
    Nurses' don't get paid 'for management' , if they apply for a manager's job they are encouraged to have it or be in training for it. A ,it of nurses do courses on their own time and wages because they want to give the best care to their patients, and of course be eligible for promotion, because it's the only way to get a decent salary. Same with teachers I would imagine. Only a troglodyte would want to go back to the old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

When did 36k become a bad starting salary?

When average annual rents of €19,400 became the norm.

https://www.thejournal.ie/rental-prices-income-4390977-Dec2018/

Goldengirl wrote: »

After creaming the tax payers for 100k in education fees.

Probably always wanted to work in oz regardless of the pay here.

When average annual rents of €19,400 became the norm.

https://www.thejournal.ie/rental-prices-income-4390977-Dec2018/

What if a nurse has a partner then obviously the rant isn’t as bad?

A single nurse could rent a room for 500 a month.

Around 7k a year.

Not too much if your pay is 30k a year.

Nursing should be a FETAC level 6 diploma imo,
    then they wouldn't have these notions above their station.

What screams at me listening to nurses and commentators the last few days is that it's not a pay rise they need, it's a big improvement in work practices & working conditions.
    Thats for the HSE management to sort out.. so that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Fetac level 6 ? That would be a healthcare assistant. Good luck with that.
    General nursing prior to Project 2000 was a three year half college half apprenticeship training. Nursing had been a three year course since the 1970s . Before that it was Two years and they had to do a year to be a midwife as well. Think it might have been a year in the 1920s and 30s .So you want nurse training to go back to early twentieth century?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

What if a nurse has a partner then obviously the rant isn’t as bad?

So should we discriminate pay based on whether someone is in a relationship or not?
    A single nurse could rent a room for 500 a month.

Around 7k a year.

Not too much if your pay is 30k a year.

A single nurse is 100% not going to rent a room for €500 a month anywhere near Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

What a bitter , bitter post .... amazing me how sour that comes across.
    Let’s hope the nurses leave you a while when , one day , you are laying in a ward in need of pain relief. You might reflect on your words while you wait on those nurses to give you the pills

So should we discriminate pay based on whether someone is in a relationship or not?

A single nurse is 100% not going to rent a room for €500 a month anywhere near Dublin.
    I pay 550 for a double bedroom in Dublin city centre.

Scary some people don't consider 57k a good salary.

Its only an average too, not like nurses can't get promoted or will continue to get wage increases under the PSSA.

Some people also don't seem to understand how good a public sector pension is. How much it would cost in the private sector to accumulate and the benefit of having a DB in this day and age.

If you read the thread it has been said numerous times that average nurse pay is not 57k. Nurses have not accepted the recent PSSA because it does not address the staff retention problem .
    Also there are only a certain amount of promotional jobs around, and less so around the country.

What are you talking about ? Student nurses only get maintenance while on placement and pay fees like everyone else unless they are eligible for a grant.
    Fourth year nurses get paid , badly, for working full time and are counted in staff numbers.

hawkelady wrote: »
    What a bitter , bitter post .... amazing me how sour that comes across.
    Let’s hope the nurses leave you a while when , one day , you are laying in a ward in need of pain relief. You might reflect on your words while you wait on those nurses to give you the pills

Yes but no nurse would do that. And he is making his sour post anonymously.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Miike wrote: »
    You're citing an article from 2004 that still refers to intellectual disability nursing as mental handicap nursing and trying to make it relevant to today.

In the last 12 months alone nursing education and standards have changed dramatically but how would arm chair experts know that? In 2004 the system was nothing similar to what it is today bar the fact they still call them nurses when they graduate. We churn out some of the best trained clinicians in the world and the attitude of people here is "ah let them feck off to Australia if they've notions of more money!" and also "jaysus isnt it awful the hse is useless and the standard of care is terrible".

The real problem here is that people have an opinion on a topic that they haven't the foggiest notion about but believe with conviction that they are experts.

You are wilfully choosing to ignore the fact that it seems that by the INMO's own take on it that many were going in to nursing because of the opportunity it afforded them to travel.

Why do you think it is less relevant in the intervening period? Particularly after the crash in 2008 when the numbers looking to travel with a skillset would have increased.

On your last point, would you like all those who disagree with the 12% claim to leave the thread so the experts can stay and discuss and then come to the opinion that the pay raise is warranted and everyone agrees with them?

1641 wrote: »
    No, I think people generally work hard but often inefficiently or ineffectively.

The Health Service is full of vested interest who support change in theory but oppose it in practice. Each union (not confined to Nursing by any means) is out for its own members (how can we benefit from this and avoid any inconvenience for our own?). In the past, groups have pocketed any increase going while being obstructive to change in practice.

The total amount of money we pour into our Health Service relative to the quality of service delivered is a disgrace - any, with an aging population in the years ahead, unsustainable.

Radical reform should come first - then by all means look at wages, salaries and allowances.

I can't believe you would attribute that to nursing. Nurses are to the fore in ensuring the best care for their patients . Lack of beds and theatre space is outside our control and can only be fixed by better staffing levels. Which is what we are looking for. We have never obstructed change and even that pay commission accepted that nurses productivity, ie working unpaid extra hours , was what was saving the health service.

salonfire wrote: »
    The 2 billion referred to that we are supposed to be outraged about is the build project.

Pay rises will surpass that amount and more after just 7 years.

But potentially increasing productivity and good working conditions, so worth it :)

• Advertisement

salonfire wrote: »
    They are well rewarded.

They are in line for further agreed increases.

Not.

Advertisement