Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Screens at Concerts

• 30-01-2019 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭

Anyone else getting a bit fed up with these.

For example, I was at the U2 gig before Christmas; great show etc etc. But the screens were just massive and unavoidable.

More and more, the big screens are becoming 'the show' - that is, not just a big screen of the band but political messages, installation videos, blah blah blah.

Generally speaking, these are:
    (I) of zero interest to me personally
    (II) very distracting, especially as the people around me looked at nothing else.

It would be really novel - and brave - if a big name band in the 3 arena or elsewhere would play a concert without any screens. That they would say - its just us, just our music, and nothing else.

Back in the day, the Stones played Altamont, Dylan played the Isle of Wight, the Beatles played Shea Stadium without any screens. Just the music.

I do think we are at the point where a lot of bands are forgetting what they are selling. That is to say, live music. Or maybe its just me, and most people want to watch these screens.....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ngunners

I generally find it easy to avoid the screens. At best, it adds to the spectacle, although I agree I could do without being hammered over the head with political messages (even worthy ones). At worst, I focus on the stage without too much bother.

There are many more annoying things at concerts than screens in my opinion. People recording the whole show on their phones or even worse chatting through the whole gig are far greater nuisances in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I'm quite short and at standing gigs it's pretty much a given that I won't be able to see the stage. So having the screen means I can still see whats going on and enjoy that aspect of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

People recording the entire gig on their tiny screen annoys me more!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Back in the day, the Stones played Altamont, Dylan played the Isle of Wight, the Beatles played Shea Stadium without any screens. Just the music.

And you couldn't see or hear a thing.

Screens done right are one of the only good things about going to big gigs these days. Stones screens were great in Croker last year. Didn't take away from the show at all.

U2s are obnoxious though I agree. Bands can go too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Most people want to watch the band but if you are not near the front or are short or have poor eyesight or are disabled or don't want to be crushed up the front or are accompanying or assisting someone who cannot move up front or or or or or or or.... then these people rely on the big screens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I don’t like the political stuff but the screen at U2 was amazing, best thing about the show.
    Without all the staging I wouldn’t have as much interest in going to see them.
    I’d feel the same about most bands in big venues, it adds to the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Put it another way - the songs can get a bit lost.

For example - at the U2 show - the layout was very good as everyone standing was quite near the stage. So they are playing Pride, their really iconic song, the Edge is standing 20 metres away, playing that really iconic solo.....

And nobody was looking at him!!!!

I just found it a bit weird and disconnected.

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    I don’t like the political stuff but the screen at U2 was amazing, best thing about the show.
    Without all the staging I wouldn’t have as much interest in going to see them.
    I’d feel the same about most bands in big venues, it adds to the show.

That in a way is my point - should screens be the best thing at a music show.....at what point does it stop being a concert?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Thank god you didn't see Popmart in Landsdowne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

The other side of the coin was at Dave Chappelle and Jon Stewart in the 3Arean in October. No screens whatsoever so if you weren't lucky enough to be in the first few rows you may as well have been listening to it on your headphones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RayCon

This is kind of why I've given up on "big" gigs ... particularly outdoor shows. The intimacy is lost, the ticket prices are just becoming ridiculous and essentially you end up watching screens rather than what's happening on stage.

I honestly don't think there's a band alive that could drag me to a Croke Park, Slane, Aviva type gig anymore.

or maybe I'm just old and grumpy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Put it another way - the songs can get a bit lost.

For example - at the U2 show - the layout was very good as everyone standing was quite near the stage. So they are playing Pride, their really iconic song, the Edge is standing 20 metres away, playing that really iconic solo.....

And nobody was looking at him!!!!

I just found it a bit weird and disconnected.

Future concert concept - patent pending

Multiple simultaneous stadium concerts around the world
    Stage in centre is surrounded by curtains
    Band is performing live on 1 of the stages feeding screens and speakers in all venues
    Nobody knows which stage, so everybody has 'attended a live gig' and received exact same experience as they would have before, but band only had to perform one show
    World tour completed in one show!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

RayCon wrote: »
    This is kind of why I've given up on "big" gigs ... particularly outdoor shows. The intimacy is lost, the ticket prices are just becoming ridiculous and essentially you end up watching screens rather than what's happening on stage.

I honestly don't think there's a band alive that could drag me to a Croke Park, Slane, Aviva type gig anymore.

or maybe I'm just old and grumpy :pac:

All the value is in smaller gigs. Most of the festival lineups have the best bands on on the undercard so to speak.

The big gigs are dying out and most of the bands touring this summer in the big venues play sad old bastard music and have been parading the old hits for decades now at increasing prices. Fleetwood Mac, Bon Jovi, Westlife, Spice Girls etc.

Music that people from Laois like.

The Nal wrote: »
    All the value is in smaller gigs. Most of the festival lineups have the best bands on on the undercard so to speak.

The big gigs are dying out and most of the bands touring this summer in the big venues play sad old bastard music and have been parading the old hits for decades now at increasing prices. Fleetwood Mac, Bon Jovi, Westlife, Spice Girls etc.

Just to say - I have recently 'discovered' Fleetwood Mac, and there is nothing sad at all about their music; an incredible band.

And am talking about the 1970s Fleetwood Mac, not the Peter Green version (which was also great).

The others, yes.

DavyD_83 wrote: »

Band is performing live on 1 of the stages feeding screens and speakers in all venues
    Nobody knows which stage, so everybody has 'attended a live gig' and received exact same experience as they would have before, but band only had to perform one show

That's a depressing possibility

^ and don't get me started on "hologram" tours of dead artists :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Most bands with those screens use them to detract from there awful music I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I think anything from an arena sized venue up, screens add to the show. Don't get me wrong, I've been to gigs in arenas with no screen and enjoyed myself but if you're not up near the front the screens can be handy to make out whats going on on stage. I'm tall myself but can imagine for shorter people that are further than 10 rows from the front, they'd basically be looking at someones back for the whole show if there were no screens. Obviously the music is the most important part but if you can't make out anything at all you're gonna feel somewhat detached from the artist and the show.

A poster mentioned the Dave Chapelle gig which is a good example, we were in the nosebleeds and you could only make out a bobbing white head on stage moving around and particularly at a comedy show seeing facial expressions can be important.

I try not to depend on the screens and keep my eyes on the stage for the most part but having a quick glance at the screen, for me anyway, sucks me more into the gig than detaches me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

grimm2005 wrote: »
    ...A poster mentioned the Dave Chapelle gig which is a good example, we were in the nosebleeds and you could only make out a bobbing white head on stage moving around and particularly at a comedy show seeing facial expressions can be important...

Hmm he’s black, you could have definitely done with a screen :-)

Ya I’m not sure about comedy in a venue that big. I’ve been to a few, luckily near the front because you are right about facial expressions etc and not having screens at that was crazy. Tickets for that were pricey too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The idea was approached by Life Festival in 2010 with IDN technology, the group Future Sound of London was going to perform a gig in their London studio and it was going to be streamed to screens at Life festival, but the idea was dropped when the organisers realised how bad the broadband was in Ireland at the time.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Would people be expected to pay full price for this experience?

(I can guess the answer :( )

The original concept of Pink Floyds The Wall show, was for the band to go home once the wall was erected, then let other musicians finish the show for them behind the wall (without anyone knowing).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Hmm he’s black, you could have definitely done with a screen :-)

Ya I’m not sure about comedy in a venue that big. I’ve been to a few, luckily near the front because you are right about facial expressions etc and not having screens at that was crazy. Tickets for that were pricey too!

Haha I am aware of that! But the white spotlight combined with the distance means that's all we were left with!

Comedy really isn't suited to bigger venues but the "superstar" comedians usually play those venues due to demand, would much rather they do multiple nights in a theatre but I guess it's more work for the same expense in the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I don't really mind the screens. At a place like the 3 Arena I can tune them out if I need/want to. I thought Smashing Pumpkins in London made great use of the screen and it really complimented their live performance. Not mad about using the screens for political statements along the lines of U2 at concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭John DoeReMi

U2 have been a political band since the War album. Anyone who doesn't know that or doesn't agree with it really shouldn't go to see them in the first place. And they've been doing big screen visual spectacle stuff for decades now. And they do it brilliantly. It adds to the music, but the music is still why people go to see them.

All of that being said, I'd say about 70% of their set - and accompanying visuals - has no political content. Including most of the big hits from the Joshua Tree and other albums.

U2 have been a political band since the War album. Anyone who doesn't know that or doesn't agree with it really shouldn't go to see them in the first place. And they've been doing big screen visual spectacle stuff for decades now. And they do it brilliantly. It adds to the music, but the music is still why people go to see them.

All of that being said, I'd say about 70% of their set - and accompanying visuals - has no political content. Including most of the big hits from the Joshua Tree and other albums.

its been pretty well documented that U2 are a political band. That goes without saying; and I don't see how it relates to the point. Can U2 not be a political band unless they have gigantic screens? Pete Seeger never had any screens at his shows......

Ditto, most fans will know that they have been at the forefront of stadium acts with regards to use of screens at gigs.

My point is - I feel - the music is getting lost. I would question your point that it adds to the music. I don't know that it does.

I would nearly say that the audience is less connected with the band (and music) because they are too busy watching the screens.

A few other EDITS

Completely take the point re smaller people, and it gives them an extra option.

Completely take the point about people's use of phones, which is far more annoying that any big screen.

Re Dave Chapelle - really - is the 3 arena a venue for a comedy artist, without the use of screens? No it is not. I didn't say they were useless in all circumstances.

However - show me a music concert that was poor because there were no screens?

I think it would be very interesting to see how U2 would get on up on stage, just 4 guys playing music. I actually think it could be a much better show.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭John DoeReMi

Prior to the Achtung Baby album, U2 were just four guys on a stage playing music. And they were great shows. They still are. Obviously we don't agree on this, but as a long time U2 fan I've seen them play loads of gigs both with and without the big screens and I don't think the spectacle detracts from or supplants the music at all.

There may a generational factor at play here also - I'm 54, so had the benefit of growing up without the obsession with screen time that the current generation of iPhone obsessed kids have. So to me the music will always be foremost, but it's possible that younger kids will think the big screen is God. However - and this applies to all bands - at the end of the day, if a song - or a band - are crap, no amount of big screen jiggery pokery will save them. And people still go to gigs because they like the songs they heard on the radio/TV/online, where the song stands or falls on its own merits.

It's worth noting also that U2, and many other bands these days, usually have a small mini stage these days at every gig which they walk down to and perform on for that "intimate small club" vibe. In fact U2, again, were one of the first to do this on the Zoo TV tours.

Prior to the Achtung Baby album, U2 were just four guys on a stage playing music. And they were great shows. They still are. Obviously we don't agree on this, but as a long time U2 fan I've seen them play loads of gigs both with and without the big screens and I don't think the spectacle detracts from or supplants the music at all.

There may a generational factor at play here also - I'm 54, so had the benefit of growing up without the obsession with screen time that the current generation of iPhone obsessed kids have. So to me the music will always be foremost, but it's possible that younger kids will think the big screen is God. However - and this applies to all bands - at the end of the day, if a song - or a band - are crap, no amount of big screen jiggery pokery will save them. And people still go to gigs because they like the songs they heard on the radio/TV/online, where the song stands or falls on its own merits.

It's worth noting also that U2, and many other bands these days, usually have a small mini stage these days at every gig which they walk down to and perform on for that "intimate small club" vibe. In fact U2, again, were one of the first to do this on the Zoo TV tours.

Thanks - I appreciate your comment.

But to go back to my point - when I was at the U2 show - and there was Edge standing 30 feet away playing the solo/intro to Pride.......and nobody around me was looking at him, they were all looking up at the screen.....I just thought - this is weird.

Maybe it goes back to what the screens are used for. At the Stones show at Croke Park, they had four vertical rectangular screens, one for each member of the band, that stayed stuck for the most part on that member of the band. I thought that worded very well.

I went to a lot of gigs last year (for me) - about 15.....having not been at any shows for over a decade. Definitely noticed a change whereby the screen was becoming the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,696 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The problem nowadays is I feel that with live music the first thing thought about is the ‘show’ aspect in many cases. Also with many artists the ‘expierence’ and show aspect supersede the music which is almost in somecases becoming the soundtrack to a ‘night out’ or a ‘performance’ . It’s important for ticket sales, to drive the numbers and appeal to a bigger demographic of people...it’s PRODUCT. To me it’s simply distracting.

Me I’m a music fan so I can’t want anything else aside from a well rehearsed band with a well chosen set list. If they play great in front of a plain backdrop....perfect, I’d rather that then an average performance in front of a high tec €2 million worth of Ultra HD 200 ft in the air high screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

The Nal wrote: »

My new favourite term of abuse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Somewhat i agree and disagree with the with the OP, The u2 concert which i was also at was just a massive screen, It was most of the show almost, If anything it made an aspect of "look at the screen more but not at us the band" i found.

Other concerts if been at where bands make good use of screens and don't over use them, I was at snow patrol also in the three arena and it worked out very well for them.

Before i opened the thread i thought this was about the large screens on each side on the stage which can come in handy for people up in the row z's.

Advertisement