Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic car newbie suggestions

Options
  • 29-01-2019 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hoping I can get some pointers here for a little dream of mine - reality might rule it out though!

Is there such a thing as a relatively reliable low maintenance classic (know service history and how it was looked after are key here)? Affordability would be key too as a newbie!

I'm not very mechanically minded but my old man is so if there was some straightforward maintenance that would have to be done that's a possibility.

Circumstances have changed for me so now I would have a place to store it. Ideally it'd be suitable for doing a 40km round trip commute a few times a week on regional roads.

I'm a bit nostalgic for things like the Renault 5 (I learned to drive in one), Mark V Ford Cortina (relative had one) and do for some reason have a soft spot for 70s/80s British saloons.

Sorry for the long post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,965 ✭✭✭✭unkel

A late 80s Mercedes would have all mod cons (electronic ignition, electronic fuel injection, power steering, electric windows, possibly ABS), while over engineered and built to last. Once you keep rust under control, these are as reliable as anything else and suitable for daily use.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Bear in mind you'll need to be over 25, and have another policy on a modern car to get classic insurance.

If you're buying anything from the 80's, I'd avoid anything that doesn't have a current NCT (unless sourcing from outside Ireland). No matter how good she looks - if there's no NCT - there's a reason!!

An old Merc isn't a bad call for the type of driving you'd be doing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Would still be very much a second car so have another policy and am over 25! Least those boxes are ticked! Thanks for the suggestions so far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭KevRossi

You don't mention a budget but there's a SAAB 900 turbo on Done Deal for €6,000 that looks hard to beat value wise.

You should be able to sell it again at asking price or possibly with a tidy markup.

Looks like a great entry into classic motoring and its a sexy little beast of a car.

Failing that a W124 Coupe would be my target, or if a convertible is an option then a good time to get an MG or MX-5

• Advertisement

Ford and R4 have no NCT and looks like they never had one. R18 hasn't had an MOT in years. Midget is NCT exempt, but could very well be rotten. Don't buy any of these cars, spitonmedickie. Poor suggestions for a newbie classic car owner, the lot of them.

If you have €6k to spend, I would go the Saab. It looks as good as they come, will forever be a classic and desirable and it will keep its value well. Looks like it has been superbly looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

You're a stickler for the NCT/MOT, Unkel. :D

My advice is to go an tyre kick as many as you can - its easy to recognise a heap when its in front of you !

The Saab is very nice but worth checking for corrosion at the rear around the fuel tank and cross member. The outlet manifold and gearbox bearing wear worth checking in the history file....
    ps. I had a 99 turbo in the UK in late eightys .... the 900 is a much better machine IMHO.

kyote00 wrote: »

If you know what you are doing, have done your research and give a car a very thorough inspection yourself, you might get a good impression of what's needed for it to pass the test

For a newbie looking for their first classic, they really should only look at cars with a valid, preferably long test. NCT in preference to MOT. Surely you'd agree on this?

Alternatively, they could of course bring a third party with them to do the testing. But I'm with Dades here. I'd say most cars in Ireland that don't have an NCT, would not pass one. I wouldn't waste my time (and my money paying someone else) to go see a car that's most likely rotten. Plenty of good cars out there too. Long NCT is a strong sign of one...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

OP, one thing I will say is, you will become mechanically minded after a while. Look for easy to fix if something goes wrong classics as well. I've a few minis and not much majorly goes wrong with them (except rust issues). YouTube is full of how to videos that have massively helped me.

Same as one of the BMWs I have. You can find most things online

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

kyote00 wrote: »

My advice is to go an tyre kick as many as you can - its easy to recognise a heap when its in front of you !

The Saab is very nice but worth checking for corrosion at the rear around the fuel tank and cross member. The outlet manifold and gearbox bearing wear worth checking in the history file....
    ps. I had a 99 turbo in the UK in late eightys .... the 900 is a much better machine IMHO.

Snap; 99EMS in this house. A wannabe Turbo....without the drama....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement