Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭pad199207

The gfs p is showing about a foot of snow for Southern Ireland on Thursday. I'm very confident that the south Midlands will see a red warning but Met Eireann will delay as long as possible to try get it right. If we do get a red warning it would be truly extraordinary considering it's an Atlantic system with little proper cold preceding it.

And if a red warning is called the smugness from you will be unbearable :P :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

pad199207 wrote: »
    And if a red warning is called the smugness from you will be unbearable :P :-D

We’d have to set up a boards-P site I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

This is probably the best I've seen regarding Thursday!

50916952_2246284315610482_4925981606205718528_n.png?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=1c0d23c0c88b66d5a0d6f272f15008c9&oe=5CC500A3

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Whats the story for the weekend? Iv a big drinking sesh planned and its been a long Dry January!! (See what I did there!!??)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,297 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Don't get why some people love having snow.

It makes commutes, school runs, etc treacherous and dangerous.

Why would you want to make travel more dangerous for the population?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Danno wrote: »
    Galway Bay is to Cork tonight is what the Irish Sea is to Dublin in an easterly tonight.

We get snow off the Irish sea too like we did last year, has to be the *perfect* wind though. Much nicer snow too, this stuff is barely sticking!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

NIMAN wrote: »

I don't think anybody wants to wish that....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Bear in mind that red warning for Emma was called because a true blizzard with expected (i.e. force 8 wind+)....and....up to 1.0 metre of snow!

We will not see a red warning for snow this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

The gfs p is showing about a foot of snow for Southern Ireland on Thursday. I'm very confident that the south Midlands will see a red warning but Met Eireann will delay as long as possible to try get it right. If we do get a red warning it would be truly extraordinary considering it's an Atlantic system with little proper cold preceding it.

Even Kermit isn't calling a red

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

NIMAN wrote: »
    Don't get why some people love having snow.

It makes commutes, school runs, etc treacherous and dangerous.

Because *we* aren't making travel more dangerous nature is, we don't really control it. If it shows snow we will get excited, this is the weather forum where any kind of extreme weather excited people. Especially after the drab January we just had with constant grey skies and mildness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,879 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

irishfeen wrote: »
    So this is what the Metrogroup via the BBC are forecasting for Thursday - still keeping the front turning to snow just after hitting landfall... this is going to get interesting!

axcjds.png

2jcsj754d.jpg

116np81.png

Wow, that would be pretty rough if it all unfolded like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,576 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

54-574PUK.GIF?29-12

Thursday remains a super pickle. Narrow margins. Someone is going to get plastered.

But as per the GFS-p run if we want snow at the coast these are the temperatures we need in the Irish sea.

54-580PUK.GIF?29-12

My rule here is once sea surface temps go above 4c with an onshore breeze it's game over but some models including the ECM and GFS now keeping us within the range that could possibly allow snow regardless of the breeze. But like I say narrow margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

pad199207 wrote: »
    Except it’s dripping snow compared to the easterly white gold :P

Exactly. We had about 7 showers today good heavy ones. Went for a walk this evening in the slush and about a half a mm of it was still left on the ground by the time I finished.

Got a covering after dark again went out for blocks and its dripping away even still my footprints are still expanding since.

After last years snow its hard to get excited.

If Thursday is a flop. We have seen it plenty times before.
    A bit of higher ground walking should be good until Sunday by the look of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Interesting that Met Eireann website is telling us few if any showers in East and South tonight. Yet Cork is and will continue to get more snow than any part of the country. These guys get paid like and ita quite inaccurate for Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 28,257 ✭✭✭✭looksee

White over (just) in south tipp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Interesting that Met Eireann website is telling us few if any showers in East and South tonight. Yet Cork is and will continue to get more snow than any part of the country. These guys get paid like and ita quite inaccurate for Cork
    Update: Very cold this week with showers of hail, sleet and snow, frequent across the southwest, west and north, where some significant accumulations are possible this evening and overnight. There will be widespread frost with icy stretches on untreated surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Car bonnet watch from Sligo, right at sea level:

15 mins ago the car bonnet was frozen solid under clear skies...right now it's snowing proper snow, but the car bonnet has thawed again...that goes to show just how marginal it is because that snow ain't sticking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Whats the story for the weekend? Iv a big drinking sesh planned and its been a long Dry January!! (See what I did there!!??)

Where are you living? Roads in all built up areas will be clear by Friday and Saturday. High ground and local routes might still be tricky. Especially with hard frost.

Will you have a few Dank Janniels?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Was going to clear the snow off the car for the morning, but looking at the radar there's no point!
    Nothing of significance on the roads though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Well Cork snowfans I promised you snow last night and it has indeed worked out. Met Eireann gave little hope for the South last night.
    If my red alert comes off for Thursday it'll be some forecast!!

Free pints from the most pessimistic snow forecasters for the rest of the winter:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭mr_cochise

pad199207 wrote:
    I’d say the only thing to delay you will be the Naas Bypass roadworks

Oh yeah, forgot about those!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,873 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Enjoy the snow , those of ye who got some !
    Frosty night here in Laois , car frozen over . That's the extent of my weather updates :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,576 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Since 6pm I have been monitoring temperature in my back garden in Cork city. The lowest it has gone has been 0.5C during / after a sleety shower, but after each it creeps up again and is currently at 1.5C.

Minimal amounts (< 1cm) of sleet / snow on table in back garden, but nothing of note on the grass, and nothing freezing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭squarecircles

dont fear,siobhan will work her magic.:D:D:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Showers looking more beefy over Ulster now. Maybe Dublin might get a bit of sprinkle later.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Am I the only one that's spotted the face in post #1124?:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like Cavan, Monaghan and possibly Louth might see some snow showers tonight from that big train of snow showers over Donegal and Fermanagh.

Dublin, Meath and Kildare not really on track for anything, very long land track from north Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Showers looking more beefy over Ulster now. Maybe Dublin might get a bit of sprinkle later.

Hopefully we get the steam of their P***. Yay....

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Remember folks, the ground is still relatively warm following the prolonged mild spell. Soil temperatures are around 4c to 7c, mildest in the southwest. This will take time to get out of the ground, which is why snow is not settling easily, or melting underneath.

Advertisement