Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone regret reading a book?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I eagerly read The Little Friend by Donna Tartt (her much awaited second novel after The Secret History). I don't know that I regret reading it, because it's so sumptuously written and it's how I'd like to write a novel (and the clear homage to To Kill A Mockingbird was beautifully executed I thought)... but what a disappointment in terms of how it ultimately plays out. A sickener really considering how good it had been.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

"That they may face the rising son" was so depressingly true to life that I recognised a half a dozen neighbours in the main character.
    I read "The Wasp Factory " as a 12 year old and it stayed with me for years as a kind of low level disturbed imagery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Ann and Barry- slippery slope

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Ann and Barry- slippery slope

Surely that was Jack and Jill. :pac:

New Home wrote: »
    Surely that was Jack and Jill. :pac:

That wasn't a book dude!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Well, it was IN a book... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Catcher in the Rye. I couldn't even finish it I hated it so much. A character has never before or since provoked such hatred levels as that sanctimonious pretentious pre-tumblr knob did.

You're just being a big phoney :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

The Hobbit.

It's a children's book. If I read it as a child I might have liked it but just feels very childish reading as an adult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

"Will the real Gerry Ryan please stand up"

He was quite pompous in it. And it wasn't the whole story; biggest foible he admitted to was being a clean freak. Hmm...

Well, he did clean a lot of mirrors with his nose...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Well, he did clean a lot of mirrors with his nose...

He WHAT? How, how?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Day Lewin wrote: »
    He WHAT? How, how?

Well, there'd be a lot of white dust on them and he'd roll up a fiver to help him suck the dust up his nose until the mirrors were spotless.

Day Lewin wrote: »
    He WHAT? How, how?

with bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Gravelly wrote: »

As a father, I found The Road extremely depressing.

As a reader, I found it irritatating. Not the story. The ending. Why not 10 pages earlier, or 10000 pages later?

Which is the point of the story, I suppose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Left Behind. The plot was bad enough to begin with but it's also incredibly badly explained. There's one paragraph where a woman offers someone a lift home. He says no thanks. in the next sentence he's getting out of her car and thanking her for the lift. It completely skips any mention of him changing his mind about taking the lift from her.

That's just one example. The book is full of things that make no sense. I think I only read about a third of it before I couldn't take any more.

You do know the intended audience believes thatbstuff is going to heppen?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Moby Dick

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Duchamp

A couple:

'A Child Called It' by Dave Pelzer - an autobiography of his experiences of child abuse at the hands of his mother, and 'Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee' by Dee Brown - laying out the treatment of Native Americans in the 19th Century.

Both heart breaking reads, I'll never forget passages from either of them. I don't think I could ever read 'A Child Called It' again

Yeah The Road left me feeling so empty - I knew it would be grim but crikey... Don't regret reading it though.

Duchamp wrote: »
    'A Child Called It' by Dave Pelzer - an autobiography of his experiences of child abuse at the hands of his mother
    Oh I read an interview with him, which had an accompanying review and summary of the book, references to certain parts etc. Dear God... I couldn't bring myself to read that book as it just seems too horrific, but I got a good gist. That evil woman. :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

'A Fine Balance' by Rohinton Mistry. A great book set during The Emergency in India. Well written, good plot, well-rounded characters.

-For one thing, there is a disturbing scene of murder/torture that stayed with me for a good while after reading it.
    -Also, just nothing can ever go right for the characters in this book- they are just downtrodden people being kicked when they're down over and over again.
    I thought the characters were well developed and got drawn into the tapestry of their story- I found myself rooting for them and finished the book with a general aura of sadness and dissatisfaction.

Excellent book, but depressed the hell out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Duchamp

Oh I read an interview with him, which had an accompanying review and summary of the book, references to certain parts etc. Dear God... I couldn't bring myself to read that book as it just seems too horrific, but I got a good gist. That evil woman. :mad:

Yeh, it's utterly brutal. Not only his mothers abuse, but his father not intervening. He eventually got out of the situation, but one bit that sticks in my mind, is him realising later that he was the lucky one, as his younger siblings were left in the situation and caught the abuse when he was no longer there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Joseph O'Connor, Redemption Falls.

Such a disappointing follow up to the epic Star of the Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Yeah The Road left me feeling so empty - I knew it would be grim but crikey... Don't regret reading it though.
    All his books are like that..Blood Meridian was brutal ,viciously violent and written in a very weird style. Not one character had any redeeming traits.

A few books left me messed up for a short time but in the long run I was very glad to have read them. The most obvious of these was The Naked Lunch which does a good job of making you view humanity as nothing more than producers of sh*t, semen, piss and vomit - but in the long run that book and many books from the "Beat Generation" formed in me a core of hope for humanity in contrast to the content.

Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy just - change me I think. It is just a light comedy book really but it instilled in me a view of how ludicrous life and people - and most of their concerns and agendas and motivations - actually are. Not sure I "regret" reading it as such but I often wonder would my view of the world be much more settled without it.

Funny most of the books listed on the thread I actually quite liked and never regretted, from the road, to Moby Dick, to Catcher in the Rye. I think often _when_ you read a book is important though. The Catcher in the Rye for example I am glad I read when I was a teenager. Do not think I would appreciate it now. The Road I am glad came to me when I was myself an adult and a parent. Would not have appreciated it as much as a teen or college student.

As for Moby Dick - I want to re-read that one. But I am waiting for Patrick Stewart to do the audio book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The Road is literally the only book that I wasn't able to put down until I had finished it. Unreal reading experience

mariaalice wrote: »
    Not because it was dreadful but because it was disturbing, toying with reading If This Is a Man Survival in Auschwitz) is a memoir by Italian Jewish writer Primo Levi.
    Read it, it's my favorite book. It's rough at times but well worth it. Everyone should read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The World According to Garp by Irving.

Pretentious twaddle where every character is annoying as fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

The Hobbit. well cant claim to have'read' the book.... got about halfway and gave up. so much sh*te & waffle..... with some kinda story hidden in there.

put me off watching the films

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

daheff wrote: »
    The Hobbit. well cant claim to have'read' the book.... got about halfway and gave up. so much sh*te & waffle..... with some kinda story hidden in there.

put me off watching the films

The film is nothing like the story.

"The Hobbit" is a children's book, originally written by the author for his own kids, bit by bit. A light-hearted book, with some funny scenes, talking animals etc. And a serious plot twist too.

When Jackson had finished making "Lord of the Rings" he must have decided that the public love battles like video-games!
    - so, why doesn't he make a film of the Hobbit, like a Prequel, and simply fill it with video-game battles that go on and on and ON?
    It was a terrible film that I regret paying money for: but the original book should be viewed as a kid's story-book; fresh and innocent.

Ah I just remembered the Spellsinger books. Remember thinking after it "What kind of thinly veiled tribute to bestiality sex did I just read". Not _bad_ books per se. Just the author has some seriously messed up stuff going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet

Was initially absorbed by the premise and the setting. Over a thousand pages later and the whole thing was poorly written with predictable plot and paper thin characters.

May have to revise my rule of always seeing a book out to the end for tomes >1000 pages in the future.

Read the blurb just now. Nope. Wouldn't even entertain starting to read this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement