Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's Doughiska like to live in?

• 17-01-2019 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a new home in Galway city. Doughiska seems to have a lot of properties for sale. What is the area like to live in? Is there much social housing?

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Ella88 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am looking to buy a new home in Galway city. Doughiska seems to have a lot of properties for sale. What is the area like to live in? Is there much social housing?

Thanks.

Big, new place
    Lots of houses, flats, townhouses
    A big mix of people from all over Ireland and the world
    Lots of social housing in certain estates
    HUGE investments in the area , Schools, park, sports facilities , community centre all there 15m or so gone into these.
    Loads of shops
    Plenty of sports clubs +Merlin walks on your doorstep
    Buses too

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can find older threads on the are by clicking here

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Most social housing is in the one estate.

Another estate did have a lot of guards living there. Don't know if it still does.

Close to lots of workplaces and to the roads east and south.

Excellent schools and family resource centre.

Dunnes, Lidl and Iceland.

And the most-successful bus route in the country.

We keep saying this but live on the same side of the river where you work, or the traffic will drive you demented.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ella88

Hi all,

Thanks for the info.

I think the biggest thing for me is the social housing. I would hate to buy near there. Is there anyone who could tell me where or what these estates are called.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Social housing is near the Dunnes Stores end but AFAIK there are very few problems there. If I was buying now I would be less worried about the social housing, I would be more keen to avoid buying in Fearann Ri - again AFAIK there is no management company in place and maintenance is an issue. That may have changed more recently.
    Tur Uisce, An Fiodan, Coill Tire, Castan are all lovely well-maintained estates with a lot of families and owner occupiers. Probably more renters in Tur Uisce but still a very quiet area in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭RainNeverBow

Yeah tbh honest it shouldn't be as grand as it is. South side is all a safe bet especially

Where do you live now? Can you spend some time in Doughiska and see the area for yourself?
    Drive around the area and see what vibes you get.
    It's a big decision and you need more info than some posts on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have a virtual drive around in streetview mode in Google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Hi Ella88
    I live in coill tire , have done for past 5 years .
    Never had or seen a moments trouble in this estate .
    It's very well maintened .
    The management company are constantly around keeping it well .
    Personally I would keep away from the estates at the back of Joyce's supermarket. Hope this helps .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

My wife and I have been renting in Doughiska for around 9 months now. Initially I was worried as I had heard bad stories. We have had zero problems so far. Only issue I notice is that there can often be large gangs of youths hanging around Joyce's and the surrounding shops, have seen the Gardai there a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ella88

Guys,

You are the best! This is so helpful.

Yes Gearan Iseal is where I hope to buy so I am well away from Dunnes Stores. The house and surrounding area of that estate does seem very well kept etc. Thanks again for all the insight! So appreciate it.

Advertisement