Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Existing Solar/HW system - adding Electric?

• 27-01-2019 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

I have an existing Solar 4m2 system for the last 10 years, delivering HW ( lots ) effectively in the summer months.

We are looking to get an EV - is there any system I can build into the existing and add on the ability to use excess for electricity generation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,752 ✭✭✭✭unkel

From your description, I assume your current system is Solar Thermal (directly heats water)?

You can setup a Solar PV (photovoltaic) system which is completely separate from your Solar Thermal system. The PV system generated electricity. And yes you can charge your EV from it, provided the system is big enough. You will need at least a 2kwp system (7 panels), preferably more

I have all three myself, Solar Thermal, Solar PV and an EV as the family car

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

thanks for the detailed reply :) that gives me an idea of what do - need to find some roof space :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Been there myself couple of years ago.
    Amazing how i havent tought that ,well in advance !

Got solar panels installed as they were more efficient for hot water.And a very generous grant too...
    Installed nicely in the middle of the roof.

Later, decided that i want PV panels...I had to relocate / move whole piping and the tubes to accomodate the new panels.

Works great but in your case,you will need a lot of panels if you wanna feed the hungry EV...

Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,752 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Same here as rolion. Got my 40 tubes nicely in the middle of the roof, also have 3 large velux windows from when my attic was converted. Wasn't thinking of future PV installs at the time. Which left only room for a few more PV panels on my main roof unfortunately (I wasn't prepared for the cost / hassle of moving my solar thermal for the sake of being able to fit a couple more PV panels)

Advertisement