Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geothermal heat pump in Dublin

Options
  • 27-01-2019 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Hi was wondering if anyone here got a geothermal heat pump installed in Dublin City recently, using vertical piping (so borehole)?
    Would you need (and get) planning permission for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Latro

Hi was wondering if anyone here got a geothermal heat pump installed in Dublin City recently, using vertical piping (so borehole)?
    Would you need (and get) planning permission for it?

You didn't consider air to water option?

With borehole collector you are over-investing imo.

Why would you put 7-10k extra into installation to save perhaps 100-150 euro a year on electricity bills. Return on investment at least 50 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭newirishman

Latro wrote: »
    You didn't consider air to water option?

With borehole collector you are over-investing imo.

Why would you put 7-10k extra into installation to save perhaps 100-150 euro a year on electricity bills. Return on investment at least 50 years.

I am looking at air to water as well, but I am to be honest not too worried about the ROI. I know that drilling the hole is more expensive, but efficiency is still (much) higher.
    Trying to get a good idea on various options, and haven’t been able to find much on the administrative side for the borehole within Dublin City area. The info on the Geological Survey web page for my area states that a survey might be required, for example. I might be happy with the 7-10k say but if surveys and planning processes add another say 5k I might not be happy. It would also add to timelines, which whilst not critical, is still important to know to plan works.

Hence was hoping if anyone here has gone down the route, or at least has tried to do so.

Advertisement