Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind Warning Sat 26 PM to Sun 27 AM Jan 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Gusting 49kts (91km/h) at Shannon at 9pm, higher than the 45kts forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Mace Head leading the way now with a gust of 124 km/hr on the 21.00 report with Malin Head at 122 km/hr, a lot of faults showing up in Cork and Kerry now as well.

Highest gust in Castlebar so far was 98 km/hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

MÉ went the way of keeping this a yellow warning with the comment "may exceed these values in exposed coastal locations". Playing it safe no doubt and probably with good intention given the negative press over "unnecessary" warnings.

That said, gusts already recorded well in excess of the last issued Orange warning.

The take away is that impact based warnings need to come online. Yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Does this wind have a name? or is it not classified as a storm. just strong winds?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Wind starting to rise now Kinsale coast

Wow that just came out of nowhere like a brick. Very strong in cork city now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,001 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Monkeynut wrote: »
    Does this wind have a name? or is it not classified as a storm. just strong winds?

Yeah strange that

This is stronger than anything the last year up in Donegal that had a name attached to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gusting to 67 knots at Mace Head and 66 knots at Malin Head near the 120kph mark

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Winds really starting to pick up in Cork City now. Feels quite strange given how calm it has been of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Flying home from Santander tomorrow, might I be affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Very windy hear east Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Flying home from Santander tomorrow, might I be affected?

Unless your flight arrives before midday, highly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Pops_20 wrote: »
    Winds really starting to pick up in Cork City now. Feels quite strange given how calm it has been of late.

Was thinking the same. Forgot what real wind was like.

I’m close to the city centre and it’s stronger locally to me than the last orange warning was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭brevity

Lights went out but came straight back on here in northish cork

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Starting to pick up now in Meath heavy rain and strong gusts with a very noticeable bite in the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

9pm, stormy in the west

Mace head gusting 67 knots :)
    Malin head 66 knots
    Belmullet 53 knots

just after picking up even more in Cork City. Had a gust hit my window (back of the house) died down for a minute, walked to the front of my house, opened my front window and it got slammed shut again, same with the front door when I tried that and its still gusting strong. I missed this weather during the high pressure.

Front of my house is North Facing so it is veryyyy unusual to have the strong wind up there!

Only just now died down again that was almost 5 minutes of strong wind there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Very rough now in Cork

Very rough now in Cork

Windy enough alright,Cork airport went from gusting 22 knots at 9pm to gusting 43 knots at 9.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Very windy in Cork, I wasn't expecting much with a yellow warning but the wind came on very fast and is very strong. I feel like I've seen weaker storms than this get an orange warning

Windy enough alright,Cork airport went from gusting 22 knots at 9pm to gusting 43 knots at 9.30pm

Yeah it went from pretty much calm to just a blast of wind out of nowhere and constant since. Surprisingly enjoying hearing it though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

There goes the glass bin from down the street... (Douglas, Cork)

Meanwhile on this very rough night, Medevac 115(EI-ICU) is en route from Kerry Airport to Dublin #lifesavers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Just two flights left due in to Shannon tonight one of which from Gatwick was circling around North Tipp at 15000ft for half an hour but now looks like its been diverted to Dublin. The other from Malaga probably destined to do the same.

Just two flights left due in to Shannon tonight one of which from Gatwick was circling around North Tipp at 15000ft for half an hour but now looks like its been diverted to Dublin. The other from Malaga probably destined to do the same.

also Cardiff to SNN which is currently off the Cork Coast. Lanzarote and Salzburg also going in to landing in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Getting gusty now. First big gusts of wind I have heard in weeks. Rain blowing against windows. Palmerstown, Dublin. There is an unusual feel to the wind... the unusual northerly direction. If its like this here in a housing estate on the east coast, it must be a rough night out west.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Without power the last 2.5 hours here in rural north Kerry.
    10 outages in total showing on the electric Ireland fault map across the county, mainly along the coast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

also Cardiff to SNN which is currently off the Cork Coast. Lanzarote and Salzburg also going in to landing in Cork

I missed that one, maybe diverting to Cork but from reports not going to be much calmer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

the wind here in cork city (ballinlough) is pretty crazy right now.

I missed that one, maybe diverting to Cork but from reports not going to be much calmer there.

Nope, Lanzarote managed to land though so they may arrive just before it gets any worse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Meanwhile on this very rough night, Medevac 115(EI-ICU) is en route from Kerry Airport to Dublin #lifesavers.

That's their fourth tasking today wonderful life saving service, I see on Marine Traffic they are flying at 95 knots due to the conditions

Advertisement