Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wind Warning Sat 26 PM to Sun 27 AM Jan 2019

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Very windy in galway.....

More beech into the stove, clear glass

Ah winter.... at last

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Things have gotten wild in Galway city in the last hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

Think the winds directly behind that band of rain will be strongest so may be hard to beat 58 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Twas fairly quiet up until 20 mins ago in Sth Galway as I was outside getting coal, but some really loud gusts since then...it certainly did come on very sudden!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭davemc6832

Sundew wrote: »
    Twas fairly quiet up until 20 mins ago in Sth Galway as I was outside getting coal, but some really loud gusts since then...it certainly did come on very sudden!

Nothing better than getting coal or a few logs for the stove on a windy night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

Whipping up here now in Clare, living rural so that northerly wind is actually blowing down the chimney, and there's some blazer of a fire going on.

It's actually fanning the flames. I won't be cold tonight that's for sure.

I'm like Grace here, love romantically describing my present moment...

Chocolate tea and more munchies

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Malin Head with a max gust of 118 km/hr on the 20.00 report.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭alentejo

It was a very dry January in Dublin until about 5pm. Has been bucketing down since then.

Xenji wrote: »
    Malin Head with a max gust of 118 km/hr on the 20.00 report.

Crikey...64 knots.

That IS a surprise

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I don't know if it's just the angle the wind is hitting the house or what but it sounds pretty bad outside in castlebar at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Fairly gusty here outside Newport, Mayo. Drive home from Castlebar caught me off guard at about 6pm, seen a few cars drop speed as the gusts were so strong.
    Got a 121km gust my weather station, but it's accuracy is debatable as it's a Lidl special buy.

Stove is blazing, dog is done for the night so time to relax and enjoy it.
    Stay safe Graces7, if my location is anything to go by then I'm sure your getting hammered out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Gone very wild in Galway now very strong gusts of wind

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Aload of sh*te blowing around the town, shows how calm it's been of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I've locked the wife and kids in the basement. Have stocked up on canned food and nailed all the windows shut. The car has been covwred and weighed down but to be honest I'm writing it off.

Best of luck to everyone. Hope we all survive this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

I've locked the wife and kids in the basement. Have stocked up on canned food and nailed all the windows shut. The car has been covwred and weighed down but to be honest I'm writing it off.

Best of luck to everyone. Hope we all survive this.

Hahahahaha class

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Carol25

Graces7 wrote: »
    Darkness falling now and rain beating the windows.

My good neighbour the ferryman came with my extra turf order ( six bags of beautiful dry turf, hand cut) and spoke of a "very bad wind coming in; from the North" he emphasized.. He was born here and has lived and sailed here all his life, so he knows whereof he speaks.

North is the worst direction, slamming in off the ocean,

So we hunker down now. All safely stowed away, ready to be battered.. ;)

the sound is the worst. Something utterly primitive and primeval in these storms, as there is in the great ocean itself, something unchanging we have no control over.... soothing even when terrifying

stay safe.

Mind yourself out there Grace!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Carol25

Squally showers just south of Athenry, Galway with strong gusts accompanying them. Wind has picked up a lot in the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

davemc6832 wrote: »
    Nothing better than getting coal or a few logs for the stove on a windy night.

Too right Dave and that coal is burning fast furious tonight....now just waiting for the cat to come in from her evening prowl!
    My bird table is the first casualty this evening, fogot to put it on its side and that earlier gust must have sent it flying!
    It’s gone pretty quiet now. Don’t like when it gets too quiet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Very gusty here in south Sligo the last hour or so - it's funny Yellow warnings always sound worse than you expect! Wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mobil 222

Be Careful out there.Very bad at times here just outside Sligo
    Trees down On the Sligo Manorhamilton Road
    Tree down at Pitch and Put course towards Rosses Point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Wild here in limerick city now. For us it always sounds worse when the wind is coming from the north, north west

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Strong gusts near Galway city

God dang I just mounted that new rain gauge and now gust has unscrewed it and blown a rock onto it.

In fairness theres a small tree down too but me rain gauge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

still calm in cork city. no big gusts etc yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very windy here near Tralee also , 10 min avg 40 km/h NW gusting well over 70 km/h at my ever increasingly sheltered site.

rafales_uk_eqi1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Lengthy TAF for Knock tonight, shows a very dynamic weather setup over the next 24hrs.
    EIKN 261700Z 2618/2718 31015G25KT 9999 FEW015 BKN025
    TEMPO 2618/2622 4000 SHRA BKN007 BKN016CB Rain
    PROB30 TEMPO 2618/2622 BKN004 BECMG 2619/2621 35028G46KT Gust 46kts
    TEMPO 2622/2624 -SHRA BKN012 SCT018CB TEMPO 2700/2712 4000 -SHRAGSSN BKN010 SCT018CB Light graupel showers with a possibility of thundergraupel (if it's not a word, well, now it is)
    PROB30 TEMPO 2700/2709 2500 -SHSN BKN005 Light snow showers
    BECMG 2703/2706 33022G35KT Gust 35kts
    BECMG 2708/2711 32015G25KT Gust 25kts
    BECMG 2715/2718 31012KT

Decoded: https://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/united-kingdom-ireland.php?icao=EIKN

A sudden increase in the wind speeds in south Roscommon, It's like someone just turned on the wind machine, 20 minutes ago it was almost calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Facebook is alight with posts about the wind, trees down, Gate blown away and telephone pole hanging down . - SW Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Very windy in N Donegal as expected.

Was out driving and had to hit the brakes as I watched several leg sized branches break off the trees maybe 20 yards ahead and land in the road.

And have to head to work at 6am, hopefully the roads won't be littered with debris.

Roads a lot better than I expected them to be at 630am.

I left earlier than usual in case I had to drive slower than normal, but only a few back roads covered in small branches, rest ok.

Winds definitely had dropped off a fair bit too. Gusty but not as bad as last night bedtime.

Funnily enough, I woke at about 3:30am and it was relatively calm. I thought worst of it must be over, but inside about 10 or 15mins it was raging again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

still calm in cork city. no big gusts etc yet.

Wind starting to rise now Kinsale coast

Advertisement