Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

I only just came across this thread and immediately read back at some of your stories because of the journey I have been on too.

I spent years very overweight (about 5 stone over) and I was eating every kind of sweet thing (still have a day here and there of that) and take away going! I began running a good few years ago with the couch to 5k and within a year, I ran the DCM Marathon with help from the novices thread on boards and I was so delighted!
    The funny thing was, my weight still kept going up and down and I wasn’t getting where I wanted because I was still eating pretty poorly because i was so hungry from the training and it was easier to pick up snacks as it was quicker and I was been lazy.

Then in April 2018, I ran the Rotterdam marathon and done well but saw pics afterwards and realized I was still pretty overweight so decided I needed to figure out what the hell I was doing wrong with food. This is when I came across Keto and Intermittent Fasting.

Both of these combined will change your lives! In saying that, it’s really the Intermittent Fasting that did for me and partially following Keto with occasional cheat days. I’d recommend reading up on these and trying them for a week.

I would probably start with just the IF and eat two meals a day ( skip breakfast and eat first at about 1) and second meal between 6-7 and that’s it, nothing in between except water or black coffee or black tea. No sugar, sweetners, bread or Potatoes, just cut them out and watch the weight fall off in a matter of weeks!

I know it sounds difficult but you actually get used to it very quickly and realize you aren’t depriving yourself at all and you have way more energy because of it!

Read up on Intermittent Fasting and Insulin and what happens when snack eating between meals, what the body does and what the body can do if you let it fast a bit every day. If you eat your last meal by 7 every evening and dont eat until 1 the following day, that’s an 18 hour fast every day which helps the body do all the repairing it’s supposed to do.

I am now down to 70 kg and starting to get toned and I’ve barely exercised since that marathon in April when I was about 92kg, I’d say I could barely run 5k at this stage so it’s 90% diet for sure! For reference, I am 180cm in height. I do some very light weights and a little bit of squatting but I probably only do it about 2-3 times a week.

Check out IF and Keto on reddit for more info and definitely check out Dr.Berg on YouTube and Facebook for great info on all of it. Read up on what breaks a fast too so you do it properly and you will probably have some headaches the first week so you’ll need some electrolytes to help with that phase.

Best of luck with your journeys :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,326 ✭✭✭✭Penn

First official weigh in since before Xmas and over those two weeks, I dropped 3lb. Absolutely delighted with that. Had some pretty big dinners, party snacks and nights out, but was reasonably good the rest of the time (even though I wasn't tracking calories, still had a good idea of what I was eating). Even the nights out were preceeded with being on track during the day, so all balanced out well in the end. Admittedly the last few days has seen my eye wandering over to the snacks and biscuits when in shops. Guess my sweet tooth was awoken from its slumber. Gotta put that asshole back to sleep.

Back to work tomorrow, so MFP is being opened today for the first time in two weeks (broke my 100+ day streak), lunch will be prepped and made for the week, and just like me the Fitbit is charged and ready to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Had weigh in Sat- up 1/2 lb was up 3 .5 when I weighed myself at home after Xmas! Glad I made the effort as the majority were up a good few pounds
    I find it easier to stay healthy when not at work and get exercise in, found the temptation of sweets and biscuits at work impossible to resist and didn't walk 2 evenings on the way home as I was wrecked after returning to work . Hoping I can keep the motivation and exercise going, best of luck to everyone for the week ahead

3lb this week. Starting to get proper back into a good routine now, thank f*ck. Had some really delicious meals throughout the week as well to help me get back into proper low-cal cooking/eating as I was a bit lax on that front over the Xmas break, relying on some ready made meals (which were still low-cal) instead. Nothing like making your own though.

The finish line is starting to come into sight though. 90lb lost, 18lb to go, and I'm about 6 weeks ahead of target (have 15 weeks to lose the rest as I gave myself 1 year to lose all the weight). No easing off the pedal at this stage though. Last stone will be the hardest, so just have to keep on as I have been and should be able to keep pushing through.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tamara25

Your an inspiration Penn, it just shows what you can achieve when you put your mind to it & if you really, really want it!

• Advertisement

tamara25 wrote: »
    Your an inspiration Penn, it just shows what you can achieve when you put your mind to it & if you really, really want it!

Thanks Tamara! Honestly the biggest thing is just letting it become routine. I think once anyone can get to that stage, it's actually easier to stick to the diet than to stray away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dragona

Penn wrote: »

The finish line is starting to come into sight though. 90lb lost, 18lb to go, and I'm about 6 weeks ahead of target (have 15 weeks to lose the rest as I gave myself 1 year to lose all the weight).

Bloody well done!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

So proud of ya Penn! Absolutely slaying it! Must be so invigorating to be ahead of schedule and with the end in sight. Keep kicking ass :)

Cheers folks! Thanks for your continued support. Means a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Struggling this week. Seem to be wrecked tired all the time. Ate a lot of crap yesterday evening as skipped dinner. Going to rein in the calories today.

• Advertisement

Didn't get weighing myself yesterday morning as stayed at a friend's Saturday night. Just about managed 2lb this week. While I was alright on calories, a lot of my meals were quite heavy/stodgy, and I was too lax on the exercise as well.

Also finding I'm throwing my eye at the snacks in shops more than I had been. Likely the effect of Xmas still lingering on. It's subsiding though I think.

Think I'm almost ready to go down another trouser size too. If I did, I'd be down to a 34" from a 42", which will definitely be the slimmest I've been in over 15 years (think it was when getting measured for my Debs suit that I first had to wear a 36" waist). I might just leave it a few more weeks before buying any new jeans/trousers because f*ck me I've spent a fortune on clothes over the last 6 months (not a bad complaint though).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Also finding I'm throwing my eye at the snacks in shops more than I had been. Likely the effect of Xmas still lingering on. It's subsiding though I think.

I found that myself this weekend, the cravings were worse this weekend than the prior two, I was definitely craving and missing the Christmas treats and splurge.

Loving this thread, been on the wagon so to speak since Jan 2nd. I weigh In on Saturdays had 2 WI's since stepping back on the scales after Christmas. Down 6lbs in 2 weeks, but a long way to go again.

Week 1 WI -2lbs
    Week 2 WI -4lbs

Just cutting out all sh and going to the gym 3 times a week and getting a few smaller walks in.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ah congrats Penn, that's fantastic stuff. Definitely hold off buying more expensive clothes until you really need it, so you can get the best fitting ones! Needing new pants is a fantastic problem tho :pac:
    I'm throwing my eye at the snacks in shops more than I had been.

But this is the norm for everyone here, yes? If calories weren't an issue, you see for example, a plate of croissants, or a cheese-stuffed pepperoni pizza, and you want to wolf the lot? (and then you talk yourself down by rationalising the calories) Right? Right! Cause I sure do, gotta keep myself in check every day, lol. I don't think any of us will truly let go of their inner fat kid :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Reading this thread to try to give me some inspiration!

I've just returned from a business trip where the food situation was not ideal to say the least - some because food provided at the conference with very few options, and some bad choices purely of my own making.

Does anyone else "panic eat" when they're away from home/out of routine? Thats the best way I can think of describing it. On the first day, I had my breakfast at home as normal (porridge) and made it through Dublin Airport wtihout major incident. When I got to my destination however, all that changed. I went for a mc donalds on my way to my hotel (why tho???) and had a big mac meal wtih a mini mcflurry.

Then, because I'd no dinner plans and had gone out shopping for the afternoon, I went to M&S and bought a large bag of crisps and bag of chocolate raisins which I scoffed by myself in my hotel room (about 5pm) Should have left it there, but then I thought I might be hungry later so I'd better have a dinner at some point. Found a proper pizza place near my hotel on trip advisor and went and had a pizza and glass of wine at about 9pm.

Absolute brat. Yes, it was a long day, I'd done a lot of walking etc etc, but I was clearly making bananas decisions. Its like I get anxious when I don't have access to my own kitchen and normal foods, and knowing that I can eat when I want, I feel like I panic eat everything around me. I was probably not even enjoying my food, but I felt compelled to just keep eating.

I'd love to be able to fight against this thought process. Its not the first time I've had days like the above.

FFS.

Porridge and coffee so far today.

SozBbz wrote: »

I've just returned from a business trip where the food situation was not ideal to say the least - some because food provided at the conference with very few options, and some bad choices purely of my own making.

Does anyone else "panic eat" when they're away from home/out of routine? Thats the best way I can think of describing it. On the first day, I had my breakfast at home as normal (porridge) and made it through Dublin Airport wtihout major incident. When I got to my destination however, all that changed. I went for a mc donalds on my way to my hotel (why tho???) and had a big mac meal wtih a mini mcflurry.

Then, because I'd no dinner plans and had gone out shopping for the afternoon, I went to M&S and bought a large bag of crisps and bag of chocolate raisins which I scoffed by myself in my hotel room (about 5pm) Should have left it there, but then I thought I might be hungry later so I'd better have a dinner at some point. Found a proper pizza place near my hotel on trip advisor and went and had a pizza and glass of wine at about 9pm.

Absolute brat. Yes, it was a long day, I'd done a lot of walking etc etc, but I was clearly making bananas decisions. Its like I get anxious when I don't have access to my own kitchen and normal foods, and knowing that I can eat when I want, I feel like I panic eat everything around me. I was probably not even enjoying my food, but I felt compelled to just keep eating.

I'd love to be able to fight against this thought process. Its not the first time I've had days like the above.

FFS.

Porridge and coffee so far today.

Routine and habits are great. When you're in your routine and have everything planned, diet is easy to stick to. But when you're out of your routine and have to pick up things on the go, it can be very easy to opt for more comfort foods because you know the level of satisfaction you'll get from it (whereas trying to find healthy places to eat or finding good healthy options can vary wildly). Being out of your normal routine can also make you just loosen up and splurge a bit because it feels like a break from the diet as a whole.

I don't think there's anything wrong with what you've posted. It can kinda suck and knock you a bit, but you shouldn't let yourself feel down over it. These events happen, whether they're work related or social events etc. A bad day here and there won't undo the good work you do the rest of the time. It's just important to try get back into your routine and healthy habits and not let the bad days turn into a bad week for no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I've just returned from a business trip where the food situation was not ideal to say the least - some because food provided at the conference with very few options, and some bad choices purely of my own making....

I can see how you would and people would tend to associate airports with treating yourself etc. What I did the last time was make up some tupperware containers of a decent egg and avocado salad and another one with sliced up peppers might have even brought some humus along, you could also tuck away some dark chocolate or a healthy trail mix. On the porridge starting out, Ive seen people post that it spikes their blood sugar very high, maybe it’s the more processed brands but on a day where you are going to have a lot of stress I’d be avoiding sugar and fast digesting carbs like the plague. Wherever you are these days there are decent healthy lunch options, chicken salad and what not, similar with dinner just get something that would resemble your normal dinner
    Depending on the hotel and what they serve for breakfast , stay away from the junk items like toast and breakfast croissants, sugary cereals etc., an oversized portion of scrambled egg would set you up much better for the day.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Thanks both :)

I had a goodish day yesterday (well, it felt like I ate a lot of cheese, but it was within my plan) and today is also so far so good.

I'm a bit confused about the porridge comments, as I generally find it a good breakfast. I make real porridge, not any of the instant or flavored versions which probably have added sugars and other nasties, but I make it on the hob, from plain oats and half water, half milk. The only thing i add is a tablespoon of raisins.

I don't actually think I was crashing or otherwise hungry (other than normal levels of hunger). I can only describe it as a low level anxiety about traveling/being away from my home comforts which I can soothe with junk food. Its not the travel itself per say, I'm not a nervous flier or anything, but I think that something about living out of a hotel and having no ability to make my own food makes me a bit uneasy. Its totally irrational, its not like I'm in danger of starving, but I have this need to have food on hand constantly, and when I don't, I lose myself and buy massive bags of crisps. thinking back on it now, it definitely felt like self soothing, which is weird as I wouldn't typically class myself as an emotional eater in day to day life (just too fond of nice food and eating out generally).

As much as it pains me to admit it I was probably slightly missing my OH too. Not that we live in each others pockets normally, but I guess spending the day fully in my own company felt a bit weird. I guess the eating was just something else to do? Sorry for using this like such a confessional, but maybe writing down these feelings/reflections will help!

Thanks both :)

I had a goodish day yesterday (well, it felt like I ate a lot of cheese, but it was within my plan) and today is also so far so good.

I'm a bit confused about the porridge comments, as I generally find it a good breakfast. I make real porridge, not any of the instant or flavored versions which probably have added sugars and other nasties, but I make it on the hob, from plain oats and half water, half milk. The only thing i add is a tablespoon of raisins.

I don't actually think I was crashing or otherwise hungry (other than normal levels of hunger). I can only describe it as a low level anxiety about traveling/being away from my home comforts which I can soothe with junk food. Its not the travel itself per say, I'm not a nervous flier or anything, but I think that something about living out of a hotel and having no ability to make my own food makes me a bit uneasy. Its totally irrational, its not like I'm in danger of starving, but I have this need to have food on hand constantly, and when I don't, I lose myself and buy massive bags of crisps. thinking back on it now, it definitely felt like self soothing, which is weird as I wouldn't typically class myself as an emotional eater in day to day life (just too fond of nice food and eating out generally).

As much as it pains me to admit it I was probably slightly missing my OH too. Not that we live in each others pockets normally, but I guess spending the day fully in my own company felt a bit weird. I guess the eating was just something else to do? Sorry for using this like such a confessional, but maybe writing down these feelings/reflections will help!

Its all good, being self aware is half the battle. Experiment a bit, the porridge might be ok for you but try a hearty scrambled egg dish once, add some cheese, mushrooms, bacon etc. and see if it makes you less inclined to snack. Same with lunch avoid a bread based lunch for example, it might surprise you. Don’t be afraid of salt and stay hydrated. Make use of the free time in the evening, most gyms will do day passes if there is one near where you stay.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,300 ✭✭✭Macy0161

fwiw porridge/ oats have been a staple of mine really only since I started to change my diet and lifestyle. I haven't experienced it make me any more liable to snack.

I wouldn't sweat a bad day/ evening. The trick is to not let it spiral. What works for me is having snacks on hand, or apples/ bananas etc. which you can buy (or potentially bring with you from hotel breakfasts).

Also you can pick slightly healthier junk - maybe popcorn instead of the sharebag of crisps. g v g not a lot different, but personally I'd mill through 150g of crisps quicker than 90g of popcorn.

Yeah, I do have eggs for breakfasts a few times a week, it just happened to be porridge that morning. I don't notice any real difference in my hunger levels from one to the other, both solid breakfasts and I'd get about 4-5 hours before feeling the need to eat again.

There was probably sufficient time between my breakfast and lunch (all I had in between was a butlers coffee and the single chocolate they give you), and having McDonalds for lunch was probably just lazy. The real issue was more likely the totally unnecessary "snack" from M&S. Having had that I didnt need Pizza for dinner, but had it anyway (minus the crusts, thats something right? ;))

As you say though, it was only really one bad day. The other two days that I was away (the actual conference days), I probably slightly over indulged but nothing like the first day. I'd a normal amount of meals, just the breakfast was extremely nice so I probably sampled more than I should, but I've no real regreats about that as at least I didnt snack during the mid morning breaks at the conference. The lunch they gave us was not great, but no much choice on that. Dinners were out but nothing over the top.

I'm glad that I seem to have been able to get back to routine once I've returned home - even though its only my 2nd day back - but getting straight back into it hasnt been bad. I had porridge yesterday morning, made myself a sandwich and salad for lunch, and had a Spag Bol that I'd batch cooked previously for dinner. I also made it to the gym for the first time in about 10 days after recovering from a head cold and my time away. Today I've had overnight oats, have soup with me for lunch planning home made sweet and sour prawns for dinner.

I've a few small bits in the house for snacks that won't detail me either. I enjoy feeling back in control!

• Advertisement

Porridge may affect people differently , you would only know if you test

https://twitter.com/zoeharcombe/status/1062779030045384704

Dr Zoe Harcombe, PhD‏Verified account @zoeharcombe

Following Following @zoeharcombe

 More

Replying to @douglasritz

Having worn a continuous glucose monitor (£50!) for 2 weeks this summer as an experiment (not diabetic), I found that fruit spikes BG but it's quickly dealt with. Porridge looked like Table Mountain!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Zoe Harcombe...ugh

Yeah no offence, but I don't think thats for me. The amount of so called experts giving contradictory advice on various platforms. I'm just focusing on eating real food, home made where possible and eating a varied, balanced diet.

As I said, I eat eggs for breakfast regularly enough (3 mornings a week on average) and on the other days its usually something oat based. I don't notice a difference to my hunger levels. In fact, I'd find a breakfast without any carbs unsatisfying and less filling.

Porridge generally works for me. In fact, it probably worked on my bad day just fine as I ate at 7am and didn't eat again til lunch at 1pm. I feel my out of control eating was probably more emotional eating to entertain myself rather than any actual hunger. I also need to not panic eat all around me just because I don't have access to my own kitchen. I need to learn to identify that thought process and just cut it off.

Zoe Harcombe...ugh

I just searched twitter for people who had used a dexcom after eating porridge, I see similar posts from time to time from different people. Ill assume she isn't lying for the sake of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

silverharp wrote: »
    I just searched twitter for people who had used a dexcom after eating porridge, I see similar posts from time to time from different people. Ill assume she isn't lying for the sake of it?

I'm not saying she's wrong in this instance. But she puts out some questionable material from time to time...though I'm judging based on what she tweets

Yeah no offence, but I don't think thats for me. The amount of so called experts giving contradictory advice on various platforms. I'm just focusing on eating real food, home made where possible and eating a varied, balanced diet.
    I discovered it late in my change of lifestyle, but I've found Scott Baptie (foodforfitness.co.uk) very good. Everything in moderation, explains what is and isn't scientificly proven/ has consensus, etc.

I discovered the site searching for recipes - there's a number of free ones, but the e-recipebooks are well worth it, and go down well with all the family in our house (slow cooker is on with smokey beef chilli as I type). Them, and his book, are the only things I've brought, but I have only flicked through the book so far.

He has a podcast, which I'd also recommend along with Sigma Nutrition one. The Guests often overlap actually.

This week is likely going to be a bad week for me. Snacks, biscuits and sandwiches being thrown in front of me from all sides, friend I haven't seen in a while coming over and bringing takeaway to hang out and have barely even looked at the exercise bike all week.

I reckon at most I might be able to squeeze out a pound, but will be lucky at that. Wouldn't mind but I was hoping this weekend would be the one where I break into the <200lb category (One-derland as the cool kids on Reddit call it). Still though, well ahead of myself anyway so hopefully a bad week this week will encourage me to keep pushing myself further and be more mindful of getting some exercise in.

This week is likely going to be a bad week for me. Snacks, biscuits and sandwiches being thrown in front of me from all sides, friend I haven't seen in a while coming over and bringing takeaway to hang out and have barely even looked at the exercise bike all week.
    Enjoy it, park it, and get back on it Sunday (or Monday) whatever.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

3rd Weigh In this morning,

Week 1: -2lbs
    Week 2: -4lbs
    Week 3: -2lbs

Slow but steady and it’s all moving in the right direction.

Next week I will hopefully be in the next stone bracket weight wise. So far the early morning gym sessions are still worth it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tamara25

So two weeks into my diet now. Have last 2 lbs I think, a pound a week will probably be the pattern, very slow but I’m determined this time & not letting the scales put me off as they did before. I find my fitness pal great & doing as much walking as I can. Have a wedding in May, really hoping to be down a stone by April!! Good luck to everyone :-) :-)

Advertisement