Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keanu Reeves

Options
  • 26-01-2019 4:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

May not be the best actor by a long shot but has given us some of the the most memorable scenes/quotes/films etc.

In no particular order Bill and Ted, The Matrix, Speed, Point break, John Wick etc. Sure some turkeys along the way.

A private man whos seen his share of tragedy, doesn't plaster it all over social media. Gave millions of his paycheck to the crew of the Matrix.

His gun work in preparation for John Wick is outstanding. The youtube clip you might see wasn't his first time. That takes a lot of time to do.

TLDR: Keanu Reeves is actually cooler than John Wick.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I've always liked him as an actor. I loved Bill and Ted. The Matrix also when it originally came out.

I quite liked The Devil's Advocate too and Constantine was not great but alright.

Never sat down and watched Speed and I believe he got fairly bad reviews for Dracula.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Lorelli! wrote: »
    I've always liked him as an actor. I loved Bill and Ted. The Matrix also when it originally came out.

I quite liked The Devil's Advocate too and Constantine was not great but alright.

Never sat down and watched Speed and I believe he got fairly bad reviews for Dracula.

He was brutal bad in Dracula but Speed is up there with Die Hard as a 90's action classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Will Smith turned down the starring role in the Matrix to film Cowboys and Aliens. From reading about Keanu Reeves and what his fellow actors say about him he comes across as one of the nicest, most down to earth and genuine bond fide superstars.

He takes public transport. Shuns the limelight. No bad press or wannabe stories. He does a lot for charity. Loved him in Bill and Ted. One of my favourite films is the Replacements where he was the Quarterback for a team who recruited hasbeens and degenerates after their first string went on strike. It also starred Gene Hackman and Rhys Ifans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I remember at one stage reading that he just lived in hotels because he didn't bother buying himself a house but had bought family members houses.

The Matrix story is amazing if true, he gave up 75 million!

Seen a piece on telly once where he was on talking about a company he owns that makes custom motorbikes, was great to see him in a garage relaxed just talking about bikes with a few lads.
    He looked genuinely happy, something he has not always been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Knock Knock (2015), directed by Eli Roth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I remember at one stage reading that he just lived in hotels because he didn't bother buying himself a house but had bought family members houses.

Seen a piece on telly once where he was on talking about a company he owns that makes custom motorbikes, was great to see him in a garage relaxed just talking about bikes with a few lads.

https://geeks.media/will-smith-famously-turned-down-the-matrix-here-s-what-it-would-have-looked-like

It was Wild Wild West instead of Cowboys and Aliens.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Lorelli! wrote: »

Seriously?

He is shocking. As wooden as they come.

But good to hear that he's a civil bloke, unaffected by Hollywood and money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Sad back story lost his best friend, river Phoenix and his gf had miscarriage. Seems so sad but not a bad bone in his body.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

judeboy101 wrote:
    Sad back story lost his best friend, river Phoenix and his gf had miscarriage. Seems so sad but not a bad bone in his body.

She died too although I don't think they were together when that happened.

Th makeup and SFX staff have said its an urban myth.....who knows?

https://uproxx.com/movies/did-keanu-reeves-really-give-away-80-million-dollars/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

He’s in two of my favorite guilty pleasure movies, Point Break and Youngblood.

He is a very rare gem.

By all accounts a true professional. He may command high fees, but he gives all or most of it to charitable causes and doesn't make a big song or dance about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Patser

He's a great person in some great movies - I actually really liked Constantine....

But he almost single handedly destroys Dangerous Liaisons - he's just so terribly out of place while Malkovich and Close are in such supreme mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Reeves has never made a bad movie

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Patser wrote:
    But he almost single handedly destroys Dangerous Liaisons - he's just so terribly out of place while Malkovich and Close are in such supreme mode.
    One of the best movies ever made, disagree with you, everybody was excellent in Dangerous Liaisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Short memory, eh? ;)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Point Break is fantastic. No denying it's one of the greatest action movies of all time. Patrick Swayze outshines Reeves in the movie, but Johnny Utah wouldn't be the same without Reeves.

Can't believe someone sanctioned a remake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

His dedication to a role is impressive. A year of martial arts training for the Matrix and as long for Firearms training for John Wick. And it shows for anyone who may have an eye for that kinda thing,

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭BornIn84

salmocab wrote: »
    He’s in two of my favorite guilty pleasure movies, Point Break and Youngblood.

I wouldn't see Point Break as a guilty pleasure film at all. Directed by Kathryn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker) I think its the best LA Cop/Heist film out there still - the story is great and Swayze was fantastic in it too (as well as Busey)- it's re-watchability is so high.

Reeves is suited for one kind of role in my opinion - people call him wooden but to me he comes across as just a quieter type without a huge personality like most hollywood leading men.

Very likeable in most roles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

NIMAN wrote: »
    Seriously?

He is shocking. As wooden as they come.

But good to hear that he's a civil bloke, unaffected by Hollywood and money.

Ye he is a bit wooden but it has never really bothered me. I meant I like him though. I don't think he's pretentious like some other actors.

I would have grown up watching Bill and Ted and then shortly after that was The Matrix. Bill and Ted was so funny and the first Matrix blew me away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

saw an article on him a few years ago in daily mail. he was sitting on a park bench eating a packed lunch on his own. looks like a very quite down to earth man. I never saw anything on him being married or being in a relationship . last entry on his wiki page relates to his first wife who died back in 2001. Does he deliberatly keep his private life secret or is it the paparaazi are just not interested in him?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

saw an article on him a few years ago in daily mail. he was sitting on a park bench eating a packed lunch on his own. looks like a very quite down to earth man. I never saw anything on him being married or being in a relationship . last entry on his wiki page relates to his first wife who died back in 2001. Does he deliberatly keep his private life secret or is it the paparaazi are just not interested in him?

I’d imagine it’s a bit of both, he doesn’t court media attention and does nothing much of interest to them and in turn they rarely bother with him.

He does come across as a decent spud.

Then again, he is few and far between in Hollywood. Most big actors, pop stars, celebs etc get up their own a$$holes and think they are different to the rest of us, whereas they really aren't.

He's only a man after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I loved the matrix and John Will

But hes a terrible actor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Stonewall Jackson

Hmm, Mr. Anderson. You disappoint me.
    -Agent Smith

Seriously though, has anyone seen that new Sci-Fi film he's in where he brings his family back from the dead and tries to continue on life as normal. It was too weird.

ETA: Its called Replicas. Awful tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The John Wick franchise pretty much restored my faith in the ability of Hollywood to make hugely over-the-top action movies with car chases, henchmen being shot in the head, and cheesy dialogue. They are so frickin’ entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I love him. "There is no spoon"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Echo the love for Keanu. I'd watch him in anything, even though there's a few dodgy ones in there.

But as mentioned already, he has more than his share of iconic characters/scenes/lines. Point Break, Speed, Matrix, John Wick. All classic Hollywood fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Baba Yaga!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

I AM AN FBI AGENT!

He's pretty good in 'To The Bone' as far as I remember and I enjoyed 'Destination Wedding' just because I like him and Winona and it's pleasant seeing them banter on screen.

Advertisement