Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An existential pit of despair

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's about enjoying the journey and, after all, the point of all life is to pass on genes. Those descendants similarly experience life and pass on genes until what , to humans, is the end of time.

To despair in advance of that potential death kind of defeats the purpose of life.

Life is not a rehearsal. Make the best of the here and now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Life is not a rehearsal. Make the best of the here and now.

I will definitely do that after I pay the mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I heard you die twice, once when they bury you in the grave. And the second time is the last time that somebody mentions your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,075 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Elvis is definitely still in the building in that case.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Life is great. There is plenty of time to be thinking about your death after you are dead.

Esel wrote: »
    Elvis is definitely still in the building in that case.

For how long?

There’s a poem by Shelly about Oxymandius, better known as Ramseses II.

Many of us did it in school. Shelly describes a visitor to a foreign land who sees an inscription on the bust of a ruined statue saying “look on my work ye mighty and despair”. The the poet continues:

“Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away”

This is to mock the man’s hubris.

Nevertheless there’s a poet writing about Oxymandius thousands of years later and here’s me talking about him now. So he’s not dead in the second sense yet.

Moral of the story - if you dont want to be forgotten be a famous monarch full of hubris and build loads of statues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

The protons in your body have been around since shortly after the big bang and some of them have been through at least one supernova.
    When you die they will lay quietly at the bottom of your grave unless disturbed by a tsunami, a meteor impact or an property developer.
    When our sun finally consumes this earth in about five billion years time, the whole process will begin again.
    Try not to be so self centered.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

Though they go mad they shall be sane, Though they sink through the sea they shall rise again; Though lovers be lost love shall not; And death shall have no dominion

• Registered Users Posts: 22,075 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The protons in your body have been around since shortly after the big bang and some of them have been through at least one supernova.
    When you die they will lay quietly at the bottom of your grave unless disturbed by a tsunami, a meteor impact or an property developer.
    When our sun finally consumes this earth in about five billion years time, the whole process will begin again.
    Just the protons?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Cash and her fella have sowed many a seed ....

Esel wrote: »
    Just the protons?

You’d think they get into the ground or flora via some kind of chemical reaction.

Anyway I am more than my protons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Even when the sun swallows the Earth, the particles from Earth and the energy generated will be blasted into space and contribute to epic stuff happening elsewhere, eventually. We're all basically just groups of particles which came together and built something cool - when they eventually scatter, they'll continue existing in some form or other and continue creating cool things until the universe eventually expands too much to maintain itself and "dies" from its energy being too spread out to achieve anything.

This won't happen for bajillions of years, so even if you don't believe in any afterlife, all the components of you have existed for 13 billion years so far, in different forms, and they will continue to exist for many more billions of years after that.

I've always liked this concept that the reason people have soul mates is because our component particles recognise eachother from the last time they were near eachother, which could have been billions of years ago in a gas cloud in a different galaxy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Well as I've said in another thread, things aren't made of particles, they're made of something that shows up as particles in certain experiments, but not all. This means you can't say anything concrete about where "a proton" of your body used to be.

Also the heat death of the universe, i.e. everything spreading out and running out of energy, is unproven and rests on pretty shaky ground. We don't know how the universe will "die" or when or even if it will.

We don't even know where it came from or when or even if it "came from" anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,214 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bobby McFerrin got it right I think.

Fourier wrote: »
    Well as I've said in another thread, things aren't made of particles, they're made of something that shows up as particles in certain experiments, but not all. This means you can't say anything concrete about where "a proton" of your body used to be.

Also the heat death of the universe, i.e. everything spreading out and running out of energy, is unproven and rests on pretty shaky ground. We don't know how the universe will "die" or when or even if it will.

We don't even know where it came from or when or even if it "came from" anything.

That clears that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Carson was better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

NIMAN wrote: »
    Bobby McFerrin got it right I think.
    When he stole the phrase from Meher Baba?
    Dont_Worry_Be_Happy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

In the end "all your great hopes and dreams and successes and failures add up to nothing. Everyone you know and love will eventually be forgotten and rot silently in the ground where they will, if they're lucky, help feed the roots of a tree that will rot and die itself, and on and on until the sun someday explodes and swallows the Earth in a fiery, violent, wholly meaningless end."

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wj3wab/conan-obrien-interview-death-nihilism-all-our-graves-go-unattended-vgtrn?utm_source=curalate_like2buy&utm_medium=curalate_like2buy_wasi6ir1__a57a5b69-c3b2-4ecd-a1d8-a51674e1f197

Looks like Blue Monday has followed on to at least Thursday for some folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Life is great. There is plenty of time to be thinking about your death after you are dead.

There's no time to think about death when you’re dead, because you’re dead. The only time to think about death, if you want to think about death that is, is when you’re alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

mad muffin wrote: »
    I heard you die twice, once when they bury you in the grave. And the second time is the last time that somebody mentions your name.

That's one of the most depressing things I've read in recent times.

This is one of the most uplifting things I've read in a long time. Thank you :)

That's one of the most depressing things I've read in recent times.

Is it? Of course there will be a time when you are not remembered.
    This is one of the most uplifting things I've read in a long time. Thank you :)

Is it? A proton isn’t you. And they don’t even exist ** sob **

• Registered Users Posts: 18,100 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

If that's your attitude I'd say to anyone **** off und die every day is a battle be that against illness oppression self pity or self awareness if you find yourself feeling blue ride everything that moves get off your tits on cocaine rob a bank go to the zoo read a book go out and contract Ebola do something with the time you have as it's your time when it becomes someone else's time if you are responsible for them share your time if they are encroaching on your time tell Em to **** off und die.

Don't waste your life it's yours to do with as you please until it's not, me I'm in my 30s my life has been **** for a long time health stuff family breakdown no purpose no way out of the nightmare that just keeps on shirting all over things

But guess what britches I'm still here and you're all GONNA pay for the suffering I have endured I'm gonna go Dark Knight Joker/ Falling Down/ Serial Killer mode when I'm good and ready that is.

Find a drive a reason for existing and grab the **** out of it otherwise WHY, WHY ANYTHING.

Unfollow.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

It can be shown, using mathematical probability theory, that it is virtually certain, that during the course of our life, that we will inhale a molecule of oxygen that was exhaled by Julius Caesar. In this way, our existence on Earth does leave some measurable permanent trace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭oceanman

If that's your attitude I'd say to anyone **** off und die every day is a battle be that against illness oppression self pity or self awareness if you find yourself feeling blue ride everything that moves get off your tits on cocaine rob a bank go to the zoo read a book go out and contract Ebola do something with the time you have as it's your time when it becomes someone else's time if you are responsible for them share your time if they are encroaching on your time tell Em to **** off und die.

Don't waste your life it's yours to do with as you please until it's not, me I'm in my 30s my life has been **** for a long time health stuff family breakdown no purpose no way out of the nightmare that just keeps on shirting all over things

But guess what britches I'm still here and you're all GONNA pay for the suffering I have endured I'm gonna go Dark Knight Joker/ Falling Down/ Serial Killer mode when I'm good and ready that is.

Find a drive a reason for existing and grab the **** out of it otherwise WHY, WHY ANYTHING.
    jesus h...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Sometimes it do be like that tho.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

get off your tits on cocaine go to the zoo ride everything that moves contract Ebola

Dude

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Fourier wrote: »

Can you at least confirm that you are posting on Boards.Ie, otherwise I'll have to ignore you as a figment of my imagination.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Vale of tears , and suffering.

Advertisement