Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones/Wicklow Greenway - a disaster in the making!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one issue i do have with the path along there - certainly was the case the last time i was there - was the amazing amount of dog **** on the path. probably the worst case of mass 'not cleaning up after your dog' i've seen in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

one issue i do have with the path along there - certainly was the case the last time i was there - was the amazing amount of dog **** on the path. probably the worst case of mass 'not cleaning up after your dog' i've seen in years.

Oh, that won't be a problem as one poster here has said we would need lots of new bins for ordinary rubbish so why not lots of poo bins too? Plus the poor, weary walkers will need facilities too such as public toilets and perhaps a couple of cafes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Thud

You see that a lot in woods and more rustic environments, maybe dog owners convince themselves it's "natural" when a route isn't paved

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Oh, that won't be a problem as one poster here has said we would need lots of new bins for ordinary rubbish so why not lots of poo bins too? Plus the poor, weary walkers will need facilities too such as public toilets and perhaps a couple of cafes.

oh, so you read my post but just won't reply directly to me :rolleyes:

keep those blinkers on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,947 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Pay very close attention during the construction of this walk way, as it looks like other greenways around the country were constructed by potentially breaking some environmental laws.

• Advertisement

Thud wrote: »
    I've done this:

I don't know the full length of it but I'd estimate 90% of it has some sort of path already.
    The strava global heatmap shows that it's used a bit by runners/walkers and cyclists:
    https://www.strava.com/heatmap#11.88/-6.11007/53.05279/hot/run

If they labelled this as "path upgrade" instead of "greenway" would you be as against it?
    I honestly can't see space for dual path lanes apart from near Clonmannon but I would imagine the two lanes would merge into one with direction arrows as happens on most other greenways where space doesn't allow two lanes.

Is this the post you mean?

No - I wouldn't be in favour of doing anything with the existing path which is just worn away grass for the most part not gravel. Keeping the existing largely unspoilt environment would be my wish and restricting dogs to certain areas of the beach during the breeding season. Not all the birdlife knows to move inside the small safer zone behind the fence that Birdwatch erect each summer. The idea of trying to attract a lot more people into an environmentally sensitive area is nonsense. Will that do?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Pay very close attention during the construction of this walk way, as it looks like other greenways around the country were constructed by potentially breaking some environmental laws.

Assuming it goes ahead what would be gained by paying very close attention to the construction work? :confused:

The idea of trying to attract a lot more people into an environmentally sensitive area is nonsense.

This is the reason why the vast majority of the population in this country have little or no connection to nature in Ireland. Exposing the next generations to this sort of area may help going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭Macy0161

anyway... from a cycling/amenity point of view, and i know i'm probably not exactly the target market, but a cycleway all along the coast from greystones to wicklow strikes me as monotonous and exposed.
    I doubt you are the target market tbh - while I couldn't see me on my own going for a spin on it, I could see us as a family doing it on the bikes - flat and level, with the wildlife of interest.

Thud wrote: »
    This is the reason why the vast majority of the population in this country have little or no connection to nature in Ireland. Exposing the next generations to this sort of area may help going forward.

Yeah, they are really going to connect with nature by letting their dogs run loose, cycling/jogging along with their headphones on etc. If they want to connect with nature there are plenty of ways and the first one is to get away from hordes of other people trying (?) to do the same.

By the time this scheme is rammed through nature will have been largely displaced and people will be able to connect with bilingual signage, picnic areas, public seating, overflowing rubbish bins and cyclists competing with them for the limited space.

• Advertisement

Assuming it goes ahead what would be gained by paying very close attention to the construction work? :confused:

lobbyists and lobbyists groups should be on top of this, immediately, making sure environmental rules and laws are adhered to at all times, and be aware of opposing lobbyists at all times, as they will try undermine this process at all times. ive been made aware of possible environmental infringements on other greenway projects around the country, investigations are ongoing, but i suspect their findings will be swept under the earths crust, completely bypassing the carpet.

lobbyists and lobbyists groups should be on top of this, immediately, making sure environmental rules and laws are adhered to at all times, and be aware of opposing lobbyists at all times, as they will try undermine this process at all times. ive been made aware of possible environmental infringements on other greenway projects around the country, investigations are ongoing, but i suspect their findings will be swept under the earths crust, completely bypassing the carpet.

Well, I have contacted Stephen Newton at Birdwatch Ireland but I don't hold out any great hope of action there given their inability to deal with my questions about CIE's plans at the Greystones end last year. Pass the parcel wasn't in it. An Taisce.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Can you link a source for that please?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Yeah, they are really going to connect with nature by letting their dogs run loose, cycling/jogging along with their headphones on etc. If they want to connect with nature there are plenty of ways and the first one is to get away from hordes of other people trying (?) to do the same.

By the time this scheme is rammed through nature will have been largely displaced and people will be able to connect with bilingual signage, picnic areas, public seating, overflowing rubbish bins and cyclists competing with them for the limited space.
    Ah bliss.
    I'll wave at you when I jogging by.

Second time you posted about these environmental infringements.
    Again can you back up what you say?

Second time you posted about these environmental infringements.
    Again can you back up what you say?

no, but im not the only one that knows about this, so id imagine plenty of others do to, i have been shown rather interesting emails though regarding this matter

Can you link a source for that please?

i havent gone looking on the internets regarding these possible infringements, but the email exchanges ive seen are enough for me to form an opinion. our greenways, arent exactly green, but as ive said earlier, i expect nothing to be done about it

no, but im not the only one that knows about this, so id imagine plenty of others do to, i have been shown rather interesting emails though regarding this matter

Right, so you can't back it up then.

I've seen an email stating that all birdwatchers don't actually like birds. But I don't really believe that.

Right, so you can't back it up then.

I've seen an email stating that all birdwatchers don't actually like birds. But I don't really believe that.

do strangers conversing with other strangers on the internets, truly need to
    provide information to support their arguments? i dont have the emails, i was just shown them, they have been circulated, particularly amongst environmental groups, i have spoken to others that have seen these emails, some saying, theyre not surprised at the possibility of infringements, because strangely enough, some elements of our society couldnt give a rats arse about our environment.

do strangers conversing with other strangers on the internets, truly need to
    provide information to support their arguments? i dont have the emails, i was just shown them, they have been circulated, particularly amongst environmental groups, i have spoken to others that have seen these emails, some saying, theyre not surprised at the possibility of infringements, because strangely enough, some elements of our society couldnt give a rats arse about our environment.

You made a serious allegation and you can't back it up.
    You should probably stop digging now.

• Advertisement

You made a serious allegation and you can't back it up.
    You should probably stop digging now.

digging what? i dont have to back anything up. either believe me or not, shur i dont care either way:D. hahaha people are nuts on the internets

the only advice id give to local groups that may have a greenway on the way in their area, is to be extremely vigilant at all stages of the development, concerning environmental matters

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Mod Note: Can we keep it back on topic, rather than this rather futile over-and-back we've had for the last number of posts?!?!

@ Working class heroes - why are you thanking the Mod - you're the one **** stirring on here. :rolleyes:

@ Working class heroes - why are you thanking the Mod - you're the one **** stirring on here. :rolleyes:

I’ll thank who I like.
    I seen a nonsense thread started and I strongly disagred with the opening post.
    If you think that’s stirring ****e by all means report it.
    Or are you trying to keep this forum like Kilcoole beach, i.e. for yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Its a full time job as it is making sure state entities like the OPW follow basic rules, wildlife laws and best practices

I’ll thank who I like.
    I seen a nonsense thread started and I strongly disagred with the opening post.
    If you think that’s stirring ****e by all means report it.
    Or are you trying to keep this forum like Kilcoole beach, i.e. for yourself?

I never said that you couldn't thank who you like but I asked why you did? Also, I have no desire to keep Kilcoole beach for myself and that is not what this thread is about but then you're not interested in the topic just stirring.

Srameen must be having a night off as he hasn't thanked your latest post yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I never said that you couldn't thank who you like but I asked why you did? Also, I have no desire to keep Kilcoole beach for myself and that is not what this thread is about but then you're not interested in the topic just stirring.

Srameen must be having a night off as he hasn't thanked your latest post yet.

I'm not sure what your problem is but I will thank whatever posts or posters I wish, if their post is well made or in any way valid - even if I don't fully endorse all of it.
    I have kept from making any comment due to your inability to discuss the matter in any fashion other than that sticking rigidly to your own view. I would kindly ask you to desist with the snide comments about me, particularly as I was never party to the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Isnt there a site used by some protected species of bird after kilcoole? How could they bulldoze through that?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Mod Note: In general, please don't reply to posters ignoring Mod instructions - let the Mods look after it or report it if necessary.

Now, if we can get back on topic for this thread please....

• Advertisement

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Isnt there a site used by some protected species of bird after kilcoole? How could they bulldoze through that?

Little Terns (and ringed plover and oystercatcher) nest on the beach at Kilcoole, and there are important wetlands along the majority of that stretch of coast immediately in land from the train tracks. You can be sure that these will be a focal point of discussion by NPWS on the task force, and by other environmental groups once this project is in the planning system.

Advertisement