Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topping up Solar Thermal

Options
  • 23-01-2019 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'd like to be able to top up my solar thermal panels myself without the need to get a plumber in. From what I can tell it's getting a few connections, a hand pump of some kind and a few litres of glycol. Any advice?

Would also love to get some data back off them, it's a kingspan controller with very very little data coming back.

Thanks,
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

How old is your system? What controller do you have? If it's a Kingspan SC400 like myself, you could swap it out for a SC500 which has micro SD card data logging

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭randombar

unkel wrote: »
    How old is your system? What controller do you have? If it's a Kingspan SC400 like myself, you could swap it out for a SC500 which has micro SD card data logging

About 8 years old. It's the SC400 all right. SC500 is about £250. Lively enough. Very poor usability from them considering what else is on the market i.e. the inverters etc. have great interfaces and data.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

My thoughts exactly. For €50 I would have swapped (provided I could DIY). But not for that kinda money :D

I presume your coolant has already been replaced? Once?

My own system is less than 2.5 years old, so no need for coolant refresh just yet (Thermomax keeps the coolant nice and cool anyway compared to standard thermal systems)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Is very important when you do the job to make sure there are no air bubbles left in the system.
    Same for the pressure.And the flow.

Recirculating liquid agent is been changed based on the colour and/or chemical qualities of the agent,irespective of the brand.
    Also,a pro service will check the system,flow,vessel and valves.

For the sake of the few quids,i will seek pro service.Not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭randombar

rolion wrote: »
    Is very important when you do the job to make sure there are no air bubbles left in the system.
    Same for the pressure.And the flow.

Recirculating liquid agent is been changed based on the colour and/or chemical qualities of the agent,irespective of the brand.
    Also,a pro service will check the system,flow,vessel and valves.

For the sake of the few quids,i will seek pro service.Not worth it.

Ya it was airlocked before, messed up the pump. Disaster.

Might get the PV guy to take a look next time he's out all right.

He might show me how to do it if I have the right gear.

I'd say I've a small leak somewhere or something, the pressure goes down gradually over the year, need it topped up every two years or so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement