Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 National Football League: Discussion Thread

• 21-01-2019 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭

Ok. I'll be lazy & go with Dublin & Galway again for the D1 final. Dublin to win it. Mayo & the Rossies for the drop. Donegal & Kildare to come back up from Div 2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Ok. I'll be lazy & go with Dublin & Galway again for the D1 final. Dublin to win it. Mayo & the Rossies for the drop. Donegal & Kildare to come back up from Div 2.

You’re about the only man not backing Cavan for the drop!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Dublin should win the Div 1 title again harder to predict who will play them in the final. Looking at relegation odds its hard to make a case for Cavan,Ros to stay up. I think the rossies might have done so if they didn't lose so many players and have so many injuries.

Donegal should be far too strong for Div 2. Armagh to join them because their panel is stronger this year while Kildare are down on a number of key players. Relegation for the two Munster neighbours i reckon and will Cork finally wake up if drop to Div 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Cavan_King wrote: »
    You’re about the only man not backing Cavan for the drop!

Mainly because most years only one of the promoted team goes straight back down again. Not both of them. So it's the Rossies for the drop for me (going nowhere until they figure out how to defend) & Cavan to stay up by the skin of their chinny chin chin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Dublin will probably win the league again. It could be a choice of a few teams who'd meet them in the final - could be Kerry.

One poster said they'd see Mayo getting relegated - can't see it myself. Roscommon and cavan for the drop - Galway could well struggle this term given that tally is gone to down and the corofin lads will be gone for a few weeks at least (probably more than).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,291 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

ProudDUB wrote: »

We (Galway) won't be anywhere near the final. Already missing half the squad for the year between club commitments and injuries. Possibly as many as between 15 to 18 missing for the first league game next weekend.

Cavan at home first. Lose that and it'll be a battle to stay up as we have Dublin, Tyrone, Monaghan and Mayo all away from home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

We (Galway) won't be anywhere near the final. Already missing half the squad for the year between club commitments and injuries. Possibly as many as between 15 to 18 missing for the first league game next weekend.

Galway had 10 of last year's Connacht final starters starting yesterday's FBD game, Roscommon had six and one of those (David Murray) got injured and won't play the opening league games at least.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Every year I seem to say it but I don't think I've gone into a league campaign with less hope. In goals just constantly seems to be a problem position with Barry Dardis, one of the highest scoring forwards in the Meath SFC, mostly used in goals during the O'Byrne Cup. We're without the likes of Donal Lenehan, Brian Conlon, Padraig McKeever, Harry Rooney, Padraig Harnan, Eamonn Wallace so I'd be very surprised if we're not in the relegation setup with a couple of games to go (like last year).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Would be absolutely amazed if Galway made the final, they've an injury crisis at the moment and are minus the Corofin lads for at least the first few games (but extremely likely till after Paddy's Day). Walsh sounds very despondent at present, they'd be happy to just avoid the drop this year I reckon

Cavan and Ros to go down and (surprise, surprise) Dublin to win it. Mayo will pick up enough wins to survive, they'll be the best prepared they have been for years for the league

jr86 wrote: »
    Would be absolutely amazed if Galway made the final, they've an injury crisis at the moment and are minus the Corofin lads for at least the first few games (but extremely likely till after Paddy's Day). Walsh sounds very despondent at present, they'd be happy to just avoid the drop this year I reckon

Cavan and Ros to go down and (surprise, surprise) Dublin to win it. Mayo will pick up enough wins to survive, they'll be the best prepared they have been for years for the league

Again Galway had 10 of last year's Connacht final starters available for selection on Sunday. To my knowledge Conroy, Brannigan and Comer from that team are injured, Mc Daid who will play a role for them this year injured himself in the warm-up Sunday. O' Curraoin is injured from 17 final but he missed all of last year's championship too. Cathal Sweeney who started 17 and 18 finals is travelling. So that leaves Corofin lads ie Ian Burke, Silke and Molloy who like McDaid will play some role this season

Outside those named I can't see many others really breaking through given that Bradshaw and O'Donnell likely aren't returning this year to spend it sitting on the bench.

For Roscommon, we will likely only have 3 outfield players who ever played intercounty (including FBD in that) available to bring off bench on Saturday night given the way our squad is stretched. Murray and Killoran were both injured Sundays in FBD final. Mullooly was injured in Sligo FBD game. Diarmuid Murtagh got detatched retina in Dublin super 8 game so might not play at all this year, Devaney is injured, Brian Stack is injured.

Ciarán Murtagh, Cathal Compton, John McManus, Cian Connolly, Fintan Cregg, Niall McInerney, starters from those 17-18 finals are all either travelling or work commitments. Peter Domican might have retired, not sure. Add in the players that would have been expected to replace those injured or away ie Fergal Lennon, Conor Cox, Andy Glennon are also injured themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭spurshero

Wouldn’t be reading much into fbd lad . It’s pre season friendly s . Real stuff starts this week . Do u really think Leitrim v Mayo would be a draw come chanpionship time . We will have a better idea where every team is in few weeks time . I don’t think Bradshaw and o donnell will be starting come championship when u have mcdaid molloy and wall available but then again big Kevin picks the team not me

• Advertisement

spurshero wrote: »
    Wouldn’t be reading much into fbd lad . It’s pre season friendly s . Real stuff starts this week . Do u really think Leitrim v Mayo would be a draw come chanpionship time . We will have a better idea where every team is in few weeks time . I don’t think Bradshaw and o donnell will be starting come championship when u have mcdaid molloy and wall available but then again big Kevin picks the team not me

Not reading into fbd, talking who is and who isn't injured or available.

Lavelle; Kyne, Ceallaigh, Kerin; O’Donnell, Bradshaw, Sean Kelly; Flynn, Duggan; Heaney, Duane, Shane Walsh, Michael Daly, Barry McHugh all started Sunday with David Wynne and Peter Cooke coming on as subs. Outside maybe Duane and O'Donnell I would expect the others to play alot of football for Galway this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭spurshero

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Not reading into fbd, talking who is and who isn't injured or available.

Lavelle; Kyne, Ceallaigh, Kerin; O’Donnell, Bradshaw, Sean Kelly; Flynn, Duggan; Heaney, Duane, Shane Walsh, Michael Daly, Barry McHugh all started Sunday with David Wynne and Peter Cooke coming on as subs. Outside maybe Duane and O'Donnell I would expect the others to play alot of football for Galway this year.

Without going into names I would be hoping that 4 or 5 of them lads will be struggling for there spot come the summer. Otherwise I think Galway will gonna struggle getting anywhere near another semi final . Back onto this thread I think Dublin will win league . The bookies have Roscommon and Cavan hot favs to go down but outside of prob Dublin Kerry and maybe Tyrone I wouldn’t be overly shocked at who goes down. Gun to my head maybe Cavan and Mayo

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Galway had 10 of last year's Connacht final starters starting yesterday's FBD game, Roscommon had six and one of those (David Murray) got injured and won't play the opening league games at least.

Didn't say anything about the FBD game. Just the situation for the first league game considering another 4 lads went off injured in the FBD game.
    Outside those named I can't see many others really breaking through given that Bradshaw and O'Donnell likely aren't returning this year to spend it sitting on the bench.

O'Donnell lost his place already last year. I think Bradshaw might struggle to hold on this year. Decent chance the entire half-back line will be new as Sweeney is gone for the year as well.

By my count those unavailable are

Damien Comer
    Eamon Brannigan
    John Daly
    Paul Conroy
    Adrian Varley
    Bernard Power
    Ian Burke
    Liam Silke
    Dylan Wall
    Michael Farragher
    Kieran Molloy
    Jason Leonard

With serious doubts over

Declan Kyne
    Johnny Heaney
    Cillian McDaid
    Michael Daly

I'm missing a few as I didn't count the Spiddal lads and not sure if O'Curraoin is injured or available at the moment. By my estimate somewhere between 9 to 11 of those will be starting during the championship with the rest on the bench. Hopefully a couple in the bottom group might make the first league game if they pass fitness tests so just have to get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Didn't say anything about the FBD game. Just the situation for the first league game considering another 4 lads went off injured in the FBD game.

Damien Comer
    Eamon Brannigan
    John Daly
    Paul Conroy
    Adrian Varley
    Bernard Power
    Ian Burke
    Liam Silke
    Dylan Wall
    Michael Farragher
    Kieran Molloy
    Jason Leonard

With serious doubts over

Declan Kyne
    Johnny Heaney
    Cillian McDaid
    Michael Daly

How many of those players will be championship starters this summer? Silke,Comer,Burke certainly and Kyne,Heaney i can imagine. The likes of Molloy,Leonard,Farragher,Wall would need to impress in the game time given to them which wouldn't be much if Corofin reach another AI final. Conroy and Brannigan with their long term injuries will be aiming to make the panel more than the starting team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Even leaving aside injuries, walsh has said that they're nowhere near this time last year in terms of preparation.

The 2018 club championship ran on a long time, with several replays needed in the latter stages.

I think they've still too much quality to go down but talks of another final appearance seem fanciful tbh

I don't think it ultimately matters, there's still a good bit of time from the end of the league to a likely Connacht Final v Mayo/Roscommon

How many of those players will be championship starters this summer? Silke,Comer,Burke certainly and Kyne,Heaney i can imagine. The likes of Molloy,Leonard,Farragher,Wall would need to impress in the game time given to them which wouldn't be much if Corofin reach another AI final. Conroy and Brannigan with their long term injuries will be aiming to make the panel more than the starting team.

I imagine Comer, Brannigan, Conroy, Burke, Silke and M Daly are all certain starters. Conroy and Brannigan are expected to be fit before the championship.

J Daly, Wall , Molloy, Kyne, Heaney and McDaid are all strong possibilities. Some will start. Some will be on the bench. Won't know until everyone is available and the squad settles down. Kyne and Heaney have almost always started for Walsh when available but I put them under possibles as we don't know yet what the actual team is going to look like. The backs especially could see a fair few changes compared to last year. I have no clue what the half-back line is going to be to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

The likely Galway championship team this summer IMO

Ruairi Lavelle;
    Declan Kyne, Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh, Eoghan Kerin;
    Liam Silke, Gareth Bradshaw, Johnny Heaney;
    Ciaran Duggan, Thomas Flynn;
    Cillian McDaid Shane Walsh, Sean Kelly
    Ian Burke, Damien Comer, Micheal Daly

If McDaid,Kyne are past fit 12 of that team could start against Cavan this weekend so I think calling it an injury crisis is overblowing it a bit.

On the topic of the thread. Its hard to look past another Dublin title but they are more beatable in the league than the championship. Tyrone probably there biggest challenger. Kerry will just be aiming to stay up. Mayo might have bigger plans now that Horan is back. Monaghan are a good league team and should not be underestimated. Anthony Cunningham without all of those players will have to work a mini miracle to keep the rossies up. The Cavan manager still involved with a club team doesn't help matters and to be without their best player and leader is a huge blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Every year I seem to say it but I don't think I've gone into a league campaign with less hope. In goals just constantly seems to be a problem position with Barry Dardis, one of the highest scoring forwards in the Meath SFC, mostly used in goals during the O'Byrne Cup. We're without the likes of Donal Lenehan, Brian Conlon, Padraig McKeever, Harry Rooney, Padraig Harnan, Eamonn Wallace so I'd be very surprised if we're not in the relegation setup with a couple of games to go (like last year).

I’ll be at the Meath game Sunday. Should be a good match between them and Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Dublin could sleep walk into the final, who joins them there is a harder question to answer

Galway as others have said have injuries, players away with Coroffin, and I don’t think they will be a gung-ho to get to the final again this season, they may be happy with Division 1 security and player rotation.

The same case can certainly be made for Mayo and Kerry. Kerry have a lot of re-building to do and there is a new management in place who have a lot of new players to look at.

Getting to a final would be a bonus.

Mayo have had longer to prepare for this league than any other since 2011.
    There is a lot of concern about an ageing team so again Division 1 security and plenty of mixing up the team sheet may be the order of the day.

Both teams have tough opening schedules.

Kerry home to Tyrone, away to Cavan, home to Dublin and away to Galway
    Mayo home to Roscommon, away to Tyrone, home to Cavan, away to Dublin.

Though the presence of Roscommon might indicate that Mayo’s is a little bit easier

I think that Tyrone or Monaghan would be a better pick for finalists than the other three mentioned.

But if Monaghan and Tyrone do have good leagues it will with panels that are closer to championship level than Mayo or Kerry.

It’s easy to think that Cavan and Roscommon are relegation fodder, but as often happens in the league a unfancied team has a good run, mainly due to them playing close to full strength teams against opponents who are experimenting.

Cavan maybe that team in 2019, Roscommon were that a few years ago when they got a SF.
    I think they could be going back down however and with possibly Mayo, Kerry or Galway with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

O'Donnell lost his place already last year. I think Bradshaw might struggle to hold on this year. Decent chance the entire half-back line will be new as Sweeney is gone for the year as well.

Damien Comer
    Eamon Brannigan
    John Daly
    Paul Conroy
    Adrian Varley
    Bernard Power
    Ian Burke
    Liam Silke
    Dylan Wall
    Michael Farragher
    Kieran Molloy
    Jason Leonard

With serious doubts over

Declan Kyne
    Johnny Heaney
    Cillian McDaid
    Michael Daly

I'm missing a few as I didn't count the Spiddal lads and not sure if O'Curraoin is injured or available at the moment. By my estimate somewhere between 9 to 11 of those will be starting during the championship with the rest on the bench. Hopefully a couple in the bottom group might make the first league game if they pass fitness tests so just have to get on with it.

Armstrong missing from last year too.

Cant see Galway doing well in this league either. Saturday evening matches away to Dublin & Mayo - will be shocked to get anything out of those. Really need to beat Cavan in first match but from what I have seen of Galway so far, some players seriously struggling for form.

Galway dont have much depth. For all the talk of their forwards, we dont have many quality forward subs and losing Comer, Burke, Brannigan (& Armstrong) are huge losses that will be keenly felt. Conroy is also a guy more likely to score or create something than Flynn or Duggan in midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

There's an hour long preview of the Allianz Football and Hurling Leagues on Eir Sport 1 tonight at 8.30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I don't think any county, even Dublin would be able to stay competitive with the player turnover there has been in Roscommon the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Sonny678

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I don't think any county, even Dublin would be able to stay competitive with the player turnover there has been in Roscommon the last few years

Its not just Roscommon who are missing players. Its across 2 3 and 4 division and even some division 1 teams. For example Kildare are missing players, thats life for most teams outside the top division. Daniel Flynn is missing for kildare. A serious talent. He has it all, atheleticism and skill. He is kildares best forward since Johnny Doyle. He is kildares best forward. Meath best forward, top scorer for the last two years , Donal Lenihan, who led Dunboyne to senior title, has gone travelling for the year. Padraig Mckeever the best club forward in Meath football for the last three year along with lenihan is also not available, as well as Eamon Wallace ( hes gone travelling). Meaths two best midfielders , Harry Rooney ( not available) and Ronan Jones ( college in USA) are also not available. Thats why McEntee had to bring 9 new players onto the Meath panel for the Byrne cup this spring. But thats life for teams in the country as a whole . There is a player drain. Every team in division will be missing players this spring if it follows recent years patterns.

Throughout division 4 3 and 2, players are leaving panels for different reasons at a rate we have never witnessed before in football in recent years. From Cork to Derry from Wexford to Galway, the number of players leaving panels is unprecedented and very worrying. Players rarely left panels 20 or so years ago. But with the introduction of the qualifiers in the early 00s, we saw players from div 3 and div 4 teams walking away when there team was beaten in the championship and their county undertook the qualifer route. The GAA didnt care. But it set a dangerous precident. For the first time ever many players would leave a panel ( many of them went to US for the summer ) in the championship, in the summer. In the last 5 or 6 years we have seen players leaving panels for many reasons in strong traditional counties .

Counties like Cork Down and Meath are all seen a turnover of their panels that were unimaginable 10 years. Its not just division 2, 3 and 4 teams. Some division 1 teams are also facing the same issue. We are now seen players leaving at a level for different reasons we have never seen before in the game nationwide .

Here are stats below to explain the situation.

1 ESRI published a government report on gaa player welfare last year. They found there was a player drain. Over 30% of inter county players who played in 2016 didnt return to play for their county in 2017.
    2 Irish Independent also did a study on GAA panels last year. There findings were simlar to ESRI findings. The Irish Indo found that over 30% of inter county players who played in 2017 did not return for 2018 league.

3 Here are some of the stats from Irish Indo study
    Below r the number of players who played in the league and championship in 2017 for their county but did not resurface in 2018 league for different reasons

Derry 19 players
    Cork 18 players
    Wexford 17 players
    Offaly 16 players
    Meath 16 players
    Wicklow 15 players
    Antrim 14 players
    London 14 players
    louth 14 players
    Leitrim 13 players
    Westmeath 13 players
    Sligo 13 players
    longford 12 players
    Down 12 players
    Roscommon 12 players
    limerick 12 players
    Kerry 11 players
    Laois 11 players
    Clare 10 players
    Cavan 10 players
    Galway 10 players
    Armagh 10 players
    kildare 9 players
    Dublin 6 players
    Donegal 6 players
    Mayo 6 players
    Monaghan 5 players
    Tyrone 4 players

4 Of the 1040 players nationwide who saw action in the league or championship in 2017, 366 did not played in 2018 league.

3 counties who have the lowest turnover in div 2 3 and 4 were , Fermanagh Tipp and Carlow who all had 7 non returnees last year. The 3 lowest counties in div 2 3 and 4. Fermanagh , Carlow and Tipp last year they had the lowest non returnees in division 3 where Derry lost 19, Offaly lost 16, Wexford lost 17, Westmeath 13, and longford 12 .

5 The breakdown in terms of players leaving each division was
    Division 1 66 players
    Division 2 103 players
    Divsion 3 107 players
    Division 4 94 players
    Division 2 and 3 are the divisions with the biggest drop off of players.

6 Other stats
    The Wicklow manager recently said in every single of the last 5 seasons in each one of those year's, 15 players left the Wicklow panel and didnt retutn the following year. Wicklow have basically lost 15 players in every single one of the last 5 seasons

7 Kevin Walsh said in his first 18 months as Galway manager 52 players turned down the invitation to join the Galway panel.

8 Connerton Longford manager said also in his first 2 years as manager over 50 player turned down the invitation, declined to attend trials and join the panel.

So there really is some sort of player drain. Meath are definately over the ten player missing mark again this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Sonny678 wrote: »
    Its not just Roscommon who are missing players. Its across 2 3 and 4 division and even some division 1 teams. For example Kildare are missing players, thats life for most teams outside the top division. Daniel Flynn is missing for kildare. A serious talent. He has it all, atheleticism and skill. He is kildares best forward since Johnny Doyle. He is kildares best forward. Meath best forward, top scorer for the last two years , Donal Lenihan, who led Dunboyne to senior title, has gone travelling for the year. Padraig Mckeever the best club forward in Meath football for the last three year along with lenihan is also not available, as well as Eamon Wallace ( hes gone travelling). Meaths two best midfielders , Harry Rooney ( not available) and Ronan Jones ( college in USA) are also not available. Thats why McEntee had to bring 9 new players onto the Meath panel for the Byrne cup this spring. But thats life for teams in the country as a whole . There is a player drain. Every team in division will be missing players this spring if it follows recent years patterns.

Throughout division 4 3 and 2, players are leaving panels for different reasons at a rate we have never witnessed before in football in recent years. From Cork to Derry from Wexford to Galway, the number of players leaving panels is unprecedented and very worrying. Players rarely left panels 20 or so years ago. But with the introduction of the qualifiers in the early 00s, we saw players from div 3 and div 4 teams walking away when there team was beaten in the championship and their county undertook the qualifer route. The GAA didnt care. But it set a dangerous precident. For the first time ever many players would leave a panel ( many of them went to US for the summer ) in the championship, in the summer. In the last 5 or 6 years we have seen players leaving panels for many reasons in strong traditional counties .

Counties like Cork Down and Meath are all seen a turnover of their panels that were unimaginable 10 years. Its not just division 2, 3 and 4 teams. Some division 1 teams are also facing the same issue. We are now seen players leaving at a level for different reasons we have never seen before in the game nationwide .

Here are stats below to explain the situation.

1 ESRI published a government report on gaa player welfare last year. They found there was a player drain. Over 30% of inter county players who played in 2016 didnt return to play for their county in 2017.
    2 Irish Independent also did a study on GAA panels last year. There findings were simlar to ESRI findings. The Irish Indo found that over 30% of inter county players who played in 2017 did not return for 2018 league.

3 Here are some of the stats from Irish Indo study
    Below r the number of players who played in the league and championship in 2017 for their county but did not resurface in 2018 league for different reasons

Derry 19 players
    Cork 18 players
    Wexford 17 players
    Offaly 16 players
    Meath 16 players
    Wicklow 15 players
    Antrim 14 players
    London 14 players
    louth 14 players
    Leitrim 13 players
    Westmeath 13 players
    Sligo 13 players
    longford 12 players
    Down 12 players
    Roscommon 12 players
    limerick 12 players
    Kerry 11 players
    Laois 11 players
    Clare 10 players
    Cavan 10 players
    Galway 10 players
    Armagh 10 players
    kildare 9 players
    Dublin 6 players
    Donegal 6 players
    Mayo 6 players
    Monaghan 5 players
    Tyrone 4 players

4 Of the 1040 players nationwide who saw action in the league or championship in 2017, 366 did not played in 2018 league.

3 counties who have the lowest turnover in div 2 3 and 4 were , Fermanagh Tipp and Carlow who all had 7 non returnees last year. The 3 lowest counties in div 2 3 and 4. Fermanagh , Carlow and Tipp last year they had the lowest non returnees in division 3 where Derry lost 19, Offaly lost 16, Wexford lost 17, Westmeath 13, and longford 12 .

5 The breakdown in terms of players leaving each division was
    Division 1 66 players
    Division 2 103 players
    Divsion 3 107 players
    Division 4 94 players
    Division 2 and 3 are the divisions with the biggest drop off of players.

6 Other stats
    The Wicklow manager recently said in every single of the last 5 seasons in each one of those year's, 15 players left the Wicklow panel and didnt retutn the following year. Wicklow have basically lost 15 players in every single one of the last 5 seasons

7 Kevin Walsh said in his first 18 months as Galway manager 52 players turned down the invitation to join the Galway panel.

8 Connerton Longford manager said also in his first 2 years as manager over 50 player turned down the invitation, declined to attend trials and join the panel.

So there really is some sort of player drain. Meath are definately over the ten player missing mark again this year.

But its all ok
    The Super eights thing last year and all the great hurling games

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    But its all ok
    The Super eights thing last year and all the great hurling games

It would be interesting to look at how these figures for inter county footballers compare to the same type of stats for inter county hurlers from about 10 years ago when Kilkenny were dominating hurling. Is it a manifestation of one county's complete dominance of the game that makes some lads question the amount of time they put into training etc. They realise that they're a good bit off Dublin and may think they couldn't make it that difference.

The hurling seems good for now because there genuinely seems to be 6 or 7 teams that could win the all-ireland. That wasn't the case 10 years ago. Could anyone really say there are 6 or 7 contenders for Sam this year?

I'm not having a good at Dublin - I'm using them as a current comparison to the Kilkenny team of the noughties.

RMAOK wrote:
    It would be interesting to look at how these figures for inter county footballers compare to the same type of stats for inter county hurlers from about 10 years ago when Kilkenny were dominating hurling. Is it a manifestation of one county's complete dominance of the game that makes some lads question the amount of time they put into training etc. They realise that they're a good bit off Dublin and may think they couldn't make it that difference.

RMAOK wrote:
    The hurling seems good for now because there genuinely seems to be 6 or 7 teams that could win the all-ireland. That wasn't the case 10 years ago. Could anyone really say there are 6 or 7 contenders for Sam this year?

RMAOK wrote:
    I'm not having a good at Dublin - I'm using them as a current comparison to the Kilkenny team of the noughties.

Eddie Brennan is manager of laois hurlers at the moment. He has been shocked at how laois hurlers turn down the opportunity to play for laois hurlers senior. He has had many players turn down the chance to play for laois hurlers when he asked them to join the panel. He said this never happens in kilkenny. So in hurling outside the top 7 or 8 there those seem to be a problem also of players leaving or not joining panels. Look at Antrim hurling. They won club hurling title in this decade. Yet their senior hurlers have been well down in hurling in this era. I remeber hearing stories at the time when Antrim club won club All Ireland, that club was more important then county there and players were more interesting in club then county. Its an issue in hurling also. You dont just hear about it. You just dont hear much about hurling in div 3 or 4 or lower div 2 teams. The media by and large ignores hurling in these counties.

Sonny678 wrote: »
    Its an issue in hurling also. You dont just hear about it. You just dont hear much about hurling in div 3 or 4 or lower div 2 teams. The media by and large ignores hurling in these counties.

I agree it's a problem (a major problem, in fact) with the lower tiered hurling counties. Many counties have only one or two club teams to make a county team out of.

Anyways, back on topic. Will the adoption of the experimental rules feed into the championship by accident. Players will be used to them by the end of the league that they could continue to play like that come championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

I think the likes of Kerry,Galway with their pick can cope better than Roscommon. Looking at the top four on your list sonny.

Derry - at their lowest ebb now in Div 4, they have the players there looking at their club football but county football isn't too attractive for them in recent years.

Cork fallen a long way from the side that was AI champions and regular Div 1 winners. A danger they could fall to Div 3 this year

Wexford back in Div 4 again only 10 years ago they were AI semi finalists.

Offaly stuck in doldrums a county with great tradition

Meath another county with great tradition that doesn't know if they are coming or going.

At the other scale of things you have Monaghan, AI semi finalists last summer and very close to reaching the final a established Div 1 team. They aren't a big county with a huge pick they are where they are because of stability as if they had to deal with huge player turn over like some others no way would they achieved what they have done since 2012.

More changes for Meath.
    The team that plays Tippearey tomorrow has 6 changes to the team that started v Tyrone last year eg Ronan Ryan Niall Kane Ethan Devine Daragh Campion Thomas Reilly and Michael Newman. 5 of those players werent even on the Meath panel last year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement