Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who will be Ireland's next EU commissioner?

Options
  • 21-01-2019 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Will FF have an imput in choosing him/her? If not I'd say Francis Fitzgerald

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Whats to say FF wouldn't choose Frances themselves? They can hardly afford to lose a big dog of their own to Brussels for 5 years.

Hogan's mouth is also of far less risk to FG with him in Brussels. My money is on him being renominated. In fairness his big ole gob is quite entertaining when aimed at Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Yeah I was going to ask if Hogan is retiring or something? He seems the obvious choice to stay there - he's not doing too badly actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Prince William

No Irish EU commissioner has ever served more than one term.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Whats to say FF wouldn't choose Frances themselves? They can hardly afford to lose a big dog of their own to Brussels for 5 years.

Hogan's mouth is also of far less risk to FG with him in Brussels. My money is on him being renominated. In fairness his big ole gob is quite entertaining when aimed at Brexit.

They might insist on an "independent" like the 3 cronies they picked for the seanad

It doesn't have to be a politico of course, Ireland have nominated a few public servants over the years. Sutherland and David Byrne.

I'd like to see someone like Emily Logan put forward. John Moran would be very interesting too!

I guess we'll see what the battlefield looks like post the May elections

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

We've always used it as a halfway house into retirement for politicians; Hogan isn't that old (58), so unless the government thinks they'll have somewhere else to put him he could want to stay on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Pee Flynn was reappointed but the Commission resigned (or was it sacked?) half way through.

We've always used it as a halfway house into retirement for politicians; Hogan isn't that old (58), so unless the government thinks they'll have somewhere else to put him he could want to stay on.

its not surprising https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/revealed-maires-432k-eu-payoff-and-162k-pension-30396266.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unless there is someone who wants out and hasn't made it public I would see them reappointing Hogan. A shock loss of an MEP seat may change that.

MGQ was appointed as there was nobody looking to get out of domestic politics at the time really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Aegir wrote: »

My word. One of Charlie's mob. I forgot she even existed. There's a legitimacy to these positions but it seems to be like a shangri-la for forgotten politicians who get a lot of money thrown at them. I'm sure they're doing sterling work even if we never hear about them.
    They really need to knock the multiple pensions thing on the head. We turn a blind eye to these things and discuss at length whether Nurses are taking vacations at inappropriate times like it's a scandal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭jm08

My word. One of Charlie's mob. I forgot she even existed. There's a legitimacy to these positions but it seems to be like a shangri-la for forgotten politicians who get a lot of money thrown at them. I'm sure they're doing sterling work even if we never hear about them.
    They really need to knock the multiple pensions thing on the head. We turn a blind eye to these things and discuss at length whether Nurses are taking vacations at inappropriate times like it's a scandal.

Some of the Commissioners were excellent with difficult briefs. Ray McSharry (Agric), David Byrne (Commissioner who drove the legislation on tobacco) and Peter Sutherland (Competition - he established the Erasmus programme and later went onto being Sec. Gen. for Gatt talks) - all highly regarded internationally.

L1011 wrote: »
    Unless there is someone who wants out and hasn't made it public I would see them reappointing Hogan. A shock loss of an MEP seat may change that.

MGQ was appointed as there was nobody looking to get out of domestic politics at the time really.

I think Ireland would want to hold onto the Agric. Commission at the moment with a new CAP budget to be negotiated. A very good candidate would be Mairead McGuinness (who was mentioned the last time, but presumably because her hat was in the ring for EP Presidency, decided to stay an MEP).

If FF have a say, I'd say it would be "independent" Pádraig Ó Céidigh

I'd say Mairead McGuinness only wants to be President of the EP followed by President of Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Given the shaky arithmetic in the Dáil I don't think the Taoiseach will want to risk loosing a seat due to a by-election following the appointment of a sitting TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,175 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Given the shaky arithmetic in the Dáil I don't think the Taoiseach will want to risk loosing a seat due to a by-election following the appointment of a sitting TD.

Unless he doesn't mind an election.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Being a gob actually helps us as he doesn’t tolerate the non sense the English go on with in europe. Much better as Commissioner than he was a TD in my opinion as his “approach” is to defend the country in no uncertain terms. I like that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Pedrosl6, please read the charter before posting again.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I think I heard Hogan saying that he wants to stay on. I'd leave him there as he will have established relationships at such a tricky time. Think he has been pretty good. That was a networking masterstroke for Ireland going to that French farm leader's funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It doesn't have to be a politico of course, Ireland have nominated a few public servants over the years. Sutherland and David Byrne.

I'd like to see someone like Emily Logan put forward. John Moran would be very interesting too!

I guess we'll see what the battlefield looks like post the May elections

Ah, Talking Heads

But on a serious note, Mairead McGuinness wouldn't be too bad. She'd keep her ear to the ground for us over there and appears to do a good job from the little bit I've seen of her there

• Advertisement
Advertisement