Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Influencers over-editing photos in Social Media/Cyber-bullying accusations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

So what happens now? What's the penalty for them? Just a telling off? Hardly a disincentive....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

GingerLily wrote: »
    So what happens now? What's the penalty for them? Just a telling off? Hardly a disincentive....

I was looking throught a few other complaints that were upheld and the penalty seems to be basically a slap on the wrist and dont do it again. This is provided the adverstiser takes down the offending ad and undertakes not to advertise in that way again. Im not sure if further offences would attract fines but certainly for first time offenders there is no major consequences.

One of the other complaints was against DNG the estate agent who when selling houses in Newbridge advertised them as "only 35 minutes from Dublin city centre". The real time for that journey is somewhere between 45 mins and 1hr 10mins depending on traffic. The ASAI upheld the complaint but as the houses were all sold they said there was nothing they can do, they didnt even tell DNG not to advertise in this way again on other properties. So on it goes....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I got a response back from them recently about a complaint I made over the summer. Basically they fobbed me off and asked for screenshots. Screenshots.. about a complaint made on self deleting insta stories 3 months prior. I’m pretty sure I did attach screenshots at the time anyway. I never bothered following it up after that. What is the actual point? Even if the complaint is upheld nothing actually happens. I think it’s more of a consumer protection issue at this stage rather than advertising standards. The ASAI are the ones who need investigating at this stage. Where do they get their money from? and what does their money get spent on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

• Registered Users Posts: 32,197 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

GavMan wrote: »

ACTION REQUIRED:
    The Committee advised both the blogger and the advertiser to take note of their concerns.

So translation...nothing.

I like Jameela Jamils attitude to this Detox tea rubbish
    https://www.eonline.com/news/991336/jameela-jamil-trolls-celebs-who-promote-detox-tea-in-savage-parody-video

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2018/11/217796/detox-tea-tummy-iggy-azalea-jameela-jamil-twitter-backlash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

gmisk wrote: »
    ACTION REQUIRED:
    The Committee advised both the blogger and the advertiser to take note of their concerns.

So translation...nothing.

Nothing worse than a toothless regulator

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Bring back BU :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Screenshots.. about a complaint made on self deleting insta stories 3 months prior.
    This is why I think many influencers are so lax about disclosures on instastories or snapchats - they disappear after 24 hours so they think they can get away with it.

GingerLily wrote: »
    In short.... nothing. ASAI just tells them not to do it again. This is the 3rd compliant against Grace that's been upheld so she clearly hasn't learned anything, she knows she can get away with it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

You would think the companies would be more careful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Not sure she’s an influencer but Jen Hattons Elf Martiner is hilarious, get a great giggle every morning if you haven’t watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

pc7 wrote: »

You would wonder all right. Like why would a company risk reputational damage by partnering someone who consistently falls foul of the regulator?
    Maybe no one gives a fck apart from the likes of us?

Some companies care, others don't.
    In the case linked above in relation to Grace and MisFit Skinny Tea - MisFit didn't seem to give a sh1t (pardon the pun!) - they brushed it off and said they were no longer working with Grace.
    However when it was reported about Rosie Connolly and her photoshopped images for Rimmel, the company quickly put the blame on Rosie (and vice versa). https://www.asai.ie/complaint/health-and-beauty-12/
    Edit: I think there was damage done to Rimmel after that. I remember the foundation, it was the one with the grey lid on it, a medium foundation - I was curious about trying it but wanted to wait until I read some reviews about it. I went off it after and now that I think of it I don't even know if it's stocked anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Edit: I think there was damage done to Rimmel after that. I remember the foundation, it was the one with the grey lid on it, a medium foundation - I was curious about trying it but wanted to wait until I read some reviews about it. I went off it after and now that I think of it I don't even know if it's stocked anymore.

Funny you should say that actually because I saw it reduced to less than half price in my local pharmacy recently.
    Am guessing so that it's probably discontinued.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

GavMan wrote: »
    Nothing worse than a toothless regulator

Ireland is full of toothless regularors, youve got ComReg letting telecommunications companies do as they please, offering no standards of service to the public. Last year they allowed An Post to increase the price of stamps by 37% in one single hit, there was absolutely no suggestion that An Post go and tackle its huge overheads, instead the citizen just gets shafted. Then theres the Energy Regulator who grants electricity price increases to the electricity & gas companies whenever they want it, again never any mention of cutting their costs first. Insurance regulator the same- massive price increases in car insurance in the last five years and they just sit back and let it happen.

The ASAI are no better. They are just a strawman who function so the government of the day can say we regulate advertising as per EU rules. If they have no teeth then what is the point? (except to waste more taxpayers money :rolleyes:) One of the reasons why things in Ireland are always amongst the most expensive anywhere in the EU is because we have a bunch of regulators who are not on the side of the consumer and just pay lip service to actually properly regulating the services we all need. In the UK they take companies to task but in Ireland anything goes and the citizen picks up the tab, everytime without fail.
    Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    In short.... nothing. ASAI just tells them not to do it again. This is the 3rd compliant against Grace that's been upheld so she clearly hasn't learned anything, she knows she can get away with it.

Unbelievable that this was a third offence and it didnt even attract a fine. It bascically amounts to the ASAI saying go on, you're grand, sure we couldn't be bothered doing our job.

If someone has done a few clothes with a brand should that be #af or collab or does it need anything? Ellie Kelly has done some clothes with mispap (?) and not a single # on any of the links?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

If someone has done a few clothes with a brand should that be #af or collab or does it need anything? Ellie Kelly has done some clothes with mispap (?) and not a single # on any of the links?

Don't know what you mean by "done a few clothes" but if they just get sent free things they don't have to mark as collab, sp, ad etc. They may use #gift or similar but they've no obligation to do so. Collab, SP, and ad are specifically if they've been paid to make the post and therefore what they say about the product is/could be influenced by the fact they're being paid.

#AF is just for affiliate links, so if they're using the swipe up function to link to the item in a way that means they get a % if you buy, then that should always be marked correctly, #af is not optional.

She’s modeling a line of clothes under her name/brand for them, about 15 pieces. I’m sure she’s getting paid. Find it all a bit confusing as to what is expected of them

She’s modeling a line of clothes under her name/brand for them, about 15 pieces. I’m sure she’s getting paid. Find it all a bit confusing as to what is expected of them

if shes got her own line wtih them then its defo paid, so should be hashtagged accordinly. I don't follow her personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Has RMC moved all of her content to Patreon?
    In fairness, I wasn’t an avid reader but enough to notice the links are now to Patreon.

If so I’ll actively avoid her affiliate links on the rare occasion she posts something non-atrocious.

• Advertisement

In fairness, I wasn’t an avid reader but enough to notice the links are now to Patreon.

If so I’ll actively avoid her affiliate links on the rare occasion she posts something non-atrocious.

Yep, shes finally done it. I've unfollowed her as I'm not interested if listening to her ****e on an post affiliate links if her best content is behind a paywall.

Would be interested to see how this will effect her IG following. Can't imagine people sticking around if they're getting blocked at a paywall all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SassyP

SozBbz wrote: »

Yep, shes finally done it. I've unfollowed her as I'm not interested if listening to her ****e on an post affiliate links if her best content is behind a paywall.

Would be interested to see how this will effect her IG following. Can't imagine people sticking around if they're getting blocked at a paywall all the time.

According to Social Blade she’s down nearly 400 followers in the last two weeks

RMC certainly has a high opinion of her opinion if she thinks people are going to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

SassyP wrote: »
    According to Social Blade she’s down nearly 400 followers in the last two weeks

Prediction for 2019,

RMC's patreon experiment will fall by the wayside like her flirtation with personal training, eating healthy and the whole veggie thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,501 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The ASAI are no better. They are just a strawman who function so the government of the day can say we regulate advertising as per EU rules. If they have no teeth then what is the point? (except to waste more taxpayers money :rolleyes:) One of the reasons why things in Ireland are always amongst the most expensive anywhere in the EU is because we have a bunch of regulators who are not on the side of the consumer and just pay lip service to actually properly regulating the services we all need. In the UK they take companies to task but in Ireland anything goes and the citizen picks up the tab, everytime without fail.
    The ASAI aren't a regulator at all. They aren't a Government body. They have no statutory powers.

They're just an industry group, set up to give the impression of regulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sheppy88

I reported her boyfriend to ASAI and also Niamh Cullen for not declaring sponsored ads.
    Got a letter back from them saying Niamh followed the rules, even though her post on Visa card sponsorship wasn’t tagged accordingly and was on the other 3 that took part in that campaign
    No response back on the other guy, he’s a lot more blatant so who knows, they might slap his wrist next time 🙄

RMC will be selling tickets soon for her workshop on "Authenticity and living your best life"

The mind boggles!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

RMC will be selling tickets soon for her workshop on "Authenticity and living your best life"

The mind boggles!

Whaaat? Nooooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭Rfrip

The mind boggles!

I hurt my head from rolling my eyes so much at that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

The mind boggles!

The mind boggles that you couldn’t sense that that post was dripping in sarcasm :p

Advertisement