Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil- do you trust the amount being delivered to your tank?

• 20-01-2019 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Galway had issues with oil companies in the past- e.g. oil cartel convictions.

Do you trust the amount of oil being delivered & are there any ways to ensure you're getting the correct amount?
    I know you can get an instrument installing into the tank to show how low your levels are getting. I presume this would work as you can read how much in the tank I presume.

Any other way, can you read from the oil truck? do they have any indicator of how much delivered that you can read?

Thanks,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

You do get a printout from the truck but you have no way of knowing that it's accurate.

Work out the capacity of your tank & then you will know, roughly, if the right amount was delivered.

I know of someone who had been ripped off for years. She only found out when the driver mysteriously confessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Discodog wrote: »

I know of someone who had been ripped off for years. She only found out when the driver mysteriously confessed.

:confused: and lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

I do. I ask for a fill up.

I check it and it's full :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

What’s the input of oil trucks got to do with Galway city forum

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭jmreire

Its not difficult....Google " Regal Tanks " .
    For rough ( within a few ltrs ) measurement, the Regal Tanks one will do fine for domestic users, ( but can be used for very large tank's too.)... Its the length of the tank x the width by the Nr of MM's of liquid. You type this data into the regal tanks form, and it will do the calculation for you.

Bear in mind that for a really accurate measurement of the Nr of Ltrs, you will need to check the specific gravity of the liquid, plus it's temperature,,and with all this info, there is a chart that you can use which will tell you exactly how many litres are in the tank. But this method is more for professional usage, and where weight is used to calculate tons into Litres / Gallons etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

dinneenp wrote: »
    :confused: and lol.

Apparently she had just made him a sandwich & the confession suddenly came out. She refused to support prosecution but got a full refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

You should be allowed connect a 5 litre tank for sampling and see that 5 litres delivered is 5 litres received.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

What’s the input of oil trucks got to do with Galway city forum

Oil companies in Galway were involved in a cartel and found guilty. Many people still don't trust them fully. I was wondering if there's any way to be sure of the amount of oil you're receiving

• Registered Users Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I drink your milkshake. I drink it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭jmreire

Marengo wrote: »
    I do. I ask for a fill up.

I check it and it's full :)

The problem with that is if you are dealing in fuel or oil for heating etc, you cannot fill the tank up to the 100% full mark, as depending on temperature, a liquid expands, can over flow. The space above a liquid in a tank is called "ULLAGE", and you have to have it. That's why tanker drivers will not fill " until it comes out the top"
    If you DO fill a tank to the max, and the fuel expands, and leaks out of the tank, not alone are you losing valuable fuel, but you are contaminating the ground it fall's on...I was talking to a friend of mine in the motor trade lately, and I noticed that all the cars he was working on, were not on the land adjoining the workshop as they usually were, but all were parked on concrete. He explained that he had a visit from a department of the environment official ( following a fly over by a drone) and he was told to move every vehicle off the grass immediately, or face a €4000 fine per veh. And this was all because the car might be leaking oil or fuel on to the grass. And contaminating the ground. One of the first things a scrapyard has to do after taking in a car now, is to remove ALL liquids safely from it, and this is to stop soil contamination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭buzz11

Query is answered in link below;

https://www.nsai.ie/legal-metrology/find-an-authorised-verifier/faqs/

"A friend recently suggested that the trucks delivering home oil are calibrated from the oil tanker and not the end of the hose - is this true? and if so, are we billed for what is left in the hose?

No this is not true. There are two types of metering systems used in the delivery of home heating oil; wet hose where product remains within the hose at all times and dry hose where the product is pumped out as part of the delivery operation.

When a metering system for home heating oil is being verified by or under the authority of the NSAI Legal Metrology, the entire system including data capture units, pipe work, pumping facilities and air separators are taken into account. Verification includes as assessment of the conformity of the measuring instrument to ensure that the correct features and facilities are present and accuracy tests using a calibrated standard which may be either a prover vessel or reference meter. The characteristics of the hose including expansion and dilation and the product within the hose are included when accuracy tests are performed since the product does not enter the hose unless it is measured. In a dry hose system this issue does not arise as the hose is cleared on conclusion of the delivery.

On successful conclusion of the tests, any devices that may have an influence on the metered quantity are secured with sealing devices and a verification mark is applied, where these a present and intact there is an assurance that the system as verified has not been adjusted or interfered with by an unauthorised party."

Advertisement