Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Officials to consider reinstalling CCTV at Western Distributor Road bottle bank

• 19-01-2019 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭

Officials are to consider a proposal to reinstall CCTV at the bottle bank on the Western Distributor Road in the city.

City councillors passed a motion, put forward by Councillor Donal Lyons, to have the security cameras reinstalled.

However, officials say they must await clarification from the authority’s data protection officer to ensure it would not breach GDPR.

CCTV had originally been installed at the bottle bank in 2010 to combat illegal dumping and had proved successful.

Why was it ever removed in the first place?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

It may have been removed due to GDPR although there's so much CCTV anywhere these days that does sound daft. Not sure if it's as much of a problem as it was. Remember there's the old bottle bank behind Joyces (left of pharmacy) if this one is full/trashed.

GDPR does not apply in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

DaCor wrote: »
    GDPR does not apply in this case

Of course it does

Of course it does

It doesn't apply as a reason to not install cctv.

Cctv used for security of a site is perfectly acceptable within the confines of gdpr legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

GDPR has played havoc with anybody running cctv cameras. I have not given anybody the rights to store my image on video. I can go into a shop and ask them to delete any footage they have of me and they are obliged to. At least that is what I was told by somebody in the trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

sgthighway wrote: »
    GDPR has played havoc with anybody running cctv cameras. I have not given anybody the rights to store my image on video. I can go into a shop and ask them to delete any footage they have of me and they are obliged to. At least that is what I was told by somebody in the trade.

So if GDPR does concern CCTV, how come it's still all over the place?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

sgthighway wrote: »

. there will be sign on way in advising that CCTV operates. they will have a policy to say it overwrites in 28-30 days. You can write in and request your image to be removed. Shop had 30 days to reply.... and by that time it is overwritten.

They have right to hold your image if they need same to investigate a criminal or unlawful act. If you dump rubbish in their shop... they can keep same to investigate you and ultimately prosecute you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You know how you can win arguments with people on the internet?
    By using sources..

biko wrote: »
    By using sources..

Right, the internet loves facts.

#FakeNews

By using sources..

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/priorities/justice-and-fundamental-rights/data-protection/2018-reform-eu-data-protection-rules_en

• Advertisement

That's just a bunch of PDFs.
    It's better if you can specify where on that page the support for your argument is, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Masala wrote: »

They have right to hold your image if they need same to investigate a criminal or unlawful act. If you dump rubbish in their shop... they can keep same to investigate you and ultimately prosecute you.

They have a right to keep lawfully collected data if they need it to operate the business - whether you like it or not.

You can request that incorrect data is deleted. Or even obsolete data. But you do not have a right to change accurate historical records if they are needed for a purpose eg investigating complaints within a reasonable timeframe, or litteting incidents.

That's just a bunch of PDFs.
    It's better if you can specify where on that page the support for your argument is, thanks

You wanted a source, I gave you the legislation itself, not my problem if you don't want to read it

No problem, I'll just disregard.

From this article 2 days ago
    https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/city-council-votes-for-cctv-at-bottle-banks-to-tackle-dumping/
    The city management said that while the council was free to install cameras where it pleased, there are issues about how the data collected can be used because of GDPR.

Why didn't you just post that 3 posts ago?

This is the epitome of a galway boards thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

saw some lad throwing horse muck into the bins few days ago. presence of cctv and signs indicating so are vital to stop such behaviour

Why didn't you just post that 3 posts ago?

This is the epitome of a galway boards thread.
    I asked for sources from others that seemed to be just guessing.
    When I give a specific source myself with a quote, somehow I am at fault.

#cannotwin :D

Advertisement