Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think it has something to do with the volume/number of bottles etc. carried through in hand luggage. So a 1litre freezerbag is the limit. Apparently if your liquids <100mls per item do not exceed the freezerbag size, you will not be able to assemble a bomb.

It certainly means a bottle of water needs to be purchased airside! Although Dublin has bottles for a euro on an honesty basis which is not bad.

At this stage I reckon the threat has gone, but if you have to buy certain liquids airside, well then, it's a business decision not to change it!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pointless security theatre

I regularly travel from 2 airports in the Balkans, no need to take liquids out of your hand luggage at all.
    It's great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

bubblypop wrote: »
    I regularly travel from 2 airports in the Balkans, no need to take liquids out of your hand luggage at all.
    It's great

What really pisses me off is having to remove laptops and ipads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

But the big toothpaste, what about the big toothpaste...noooooooooooooooo!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I travel Ryanair frequently to Spain.

I wish to source a new hand luggage bag to utilise it to the maximum as I rarely carry a 2nd bag.

Anyone recommend where I can source a new hand bag (male)?

It has to be 40cm x 25cm x 20cm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I travel Ryanair frequently to Spain.

I wish to source a new hand luggage bag to utilise it to the maximum as I rarely carry a 2nd bag.

Anyone recommend where I can source a new hand bag (male)?

It has to be 40cm x 25cm x 20cm

If you put Ryanair luggage into Amazon search you get loads of options. I've ordered this one based on positive reviews: Ryanair Approved Second Hand Luggage Cabin Holdall Travel Bag Strong Lightweight 35 x 20 x 20cm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LTD0830/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_w2QdCbG4M83MA

Haven't received it yet but I can report back when I get it. Will be flying in January so that will be the first test if it fits the bill.

grimm2005 wrote: »
    If you put Ryanair luggage into Amazon search you get loads of options. I've ordered this one based on positive reviews: Ryanair Approved Second Hand Luggage Cabin Holdall Travel Bag Strong Lightweight 35 x 20 x 20cm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LTD0830/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_w2QdCbG4M83MA

Haven't received it yet but I can report back when I get it. Will be flying in January so that will be the first test if it fits the bill.

Thanks but that bad size was old dimensions.

New bag dimensions is 40cm instead of 35cm. I need to utilise every cm available :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

On their own website, Ryanair sells an "Underseat Bag" by American Tourister, Size is: 40 x 30 x 20 cm : https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/samsonite/buy-now

You can also buy it directly from the Brand, they call it "3-Way Boarding Bag": http://www.americantourister.ie/summer-voyager-3-way-boarding-bag-volt-black/85464-5197.html

I plan to buy it myself, once my current one gets too worn out.

I eventually found a good site with perfect sizes and cheap prices :)

http://www.jeteasy.ie/shop/category.aspx?catid=26&page=2&sortby=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

Hey Guys,
    Flying from Munich to Dublin tomorrow and im wondering if this:(https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOBILOIL-STOVE-ENAMEL-GARAGE-THERMOMETER-MERCURY-FREE-/281593987427) can be carried on as part of hand luggage? Present I bought for my dad as hes into his vintage cars and getting it home is now on my mind....
    Its metal, non mercury and is 30cms long. Self explanatory item really but security can be funny.
    Thanks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Link not working. Can you describe what it is?

**edit, sorry, I removed the extra bracket and can see it now.
    As long as there is no mercury in it, it should be fine.
    I would point it out to them rather than let them find it, or investigate it after seeing it on the xray.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Id say it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PennyPickle

What I would say is do not worry if you don't manage to get a priority boarding booking. You can check a 10 KG bag in at the airport for 10 euro. The problem is the way the customer representatives online answer questions, and the way the booking system is designed to ensnare the person booking, into buying unnecessary add ons. GET PRIORITY IF YOU CAN, that ecompasses the 10kg bag onboard and a little bag for under the front seat, IF you don't get priority, DON'T WORRY, you can check a 10 KG bag in at the airport for 10 EURO. Clear as crystal?

If only the bots could teach us how to do RYANAIR better.

<quote> Is the cost of checking in a 10 KG bag at the airport 10 euro?

Is that correct?

I don't want to purchase a bag, I want to check my 10 KG bag in, how much does it cost?

It is now 14:12 on the 18 12 2018, how much does it cost to check in a 10 KG Bag at the airport.?

Gerald
    the cost of having a chekc in bag on the call center is 10£ if you do it on initial booking its 8£ at the airport 25 you cnat check in a bag that is not on the booking </quote>

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Due to fly to Australia in February. Ticket is economy class. Wondering do i get 30kg total as in 7kg in a carry on and then can only put 23kg in my under carriage bag or can I have 30kg in my under carriage bag and the cabin 7kg is separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭johnire

As far as I know it’s 23kg for checked luggage and 7 kg for carryon.
    Due to fly to Australia in February. Ticket is economy class. Wondering do i get 30kg total as in 7kg in a carry on and then can only put 23kg in my under carriage bag or can I have 30kg in my under carriage bag and the cabin 7kg is separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

It depends on your economy ticket. The cheapest has 23kg checked bag. It's 30kg for tickets above the rock bottom price.

Check your confirmation email.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/ryanair-tells-passengers-full-25-gate-bag-fee-takes-effect-from-today-37689895.html

Can someone confirm this for me? I think I am reading it right but If I do not select priority and do not check my "larger" hand luggage in at the check in the desk you must pay 25 euro where as before it was free and they would just put a yellow sticker on it at the gate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Correct! They will charge you 25 Euro at the gate if you bring more than a small bag to the gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭John.G

Correct! They will charge you 25 Euro at the gate if you bring more than a small bag to the gate.

If you pay priority (€6) at the time of booking then you can bring your "larger" bag to the gate (no check in), otherwise you pay €8 at the time of booking, then go to check in and the bag is put in the hold (I use this option as I don't have to put the bag through security and remove all those little 100 ml containers). So for a round trip just add either €12 or €16 per person to your calculations when comparing prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

stuba wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/ryanair-tells-passengers-full-25-gate-bag-fee-takes-effect-from-today-37689895.html

Can someone confirm this for me? I think I am reading it right but If I do not select priority and do not check my "larger" hand luggage in at the check in the desk you must pay 25 euro where as before it was free and they would just put a yellow sticker on it at the gate?

That’s correct. You can no longer bring a wheelie bag to the gate and have it taken from you for free.

They’ve also become more strict about the size of a backpack than they used to be.

D.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Also (and thankfully I realised this before I left the house), not all airlines accept the same dimensions for carry-on bags - Aer Lingus being a good few cm smaller, for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Dinarius wrote: »
    That’s correct. You can no longer bring a wheelie bag to the gate and have it taken from you for free.

They’ve also become more strict about the size of a backpack than they used to be.

D.
    People without priority are still chancing their arms by bringing extra bags. Plenty of €25 charges being collected.

People without priority are still chancing their arms by bringing extra bags. Plenty of €25 charges being collected.

It is types like them being unable to understand and follow the previous Ryanair baggage rules that caused these latest restrictions to be brought in in the first place. No sympathy whatsoever.

Loving how fast the planes load now.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

If you bought your flight tickets before the changes were announced are you entitled to bring the bigger bag into the cabin free.
    Bought tickets in August last year for flights next month. But never got priority seats at the time, as the in cabin baggage allowance was greater than the current one

Berberis wrote: »
    If you bought your flight tickets before the changes were announced are you entitled to bring the bigger bag into the cabin free
    For free: Yes. On board, No.

I received an email as follows "As you booked (booking reference number) prior to the announcement of our new Cabin Bag Policy, we will add a 10kg Check-in Bag for each passenger on your booking, free of charge. This will be visible in the "view itinerary" section in your myRyanair account and on your boarding pass. This 10kg bag must be dropped off at the check-in desk and will be available for collection at the baggage carousel in your arrival airport"

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Cheers for that, my ticket was bought as part of a small group of 3 by a friend so the email was probally sent to him.
    Would you know if you can drop off the bag at the check in desk even if you have checked in online. Or do you have to check in at the desk in the airport as well

The check in process has not changed: you have to check in online, as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I know Ryanair recently changed the guidelines on their cabin baggage. I was wondering how strict are they? I'm flying soon and was going to bring a backpack which is bigger then the size limit but it will only be 3/4 full so do ye think I'll get away with it? Any experiences?

Advertisement