Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Volunteering for an NCT?

Options
  • 16-01-2019 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

Anyone put their car in for an NCT, where it wasn't a requirement, just to get it well inspected on a ramp?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I saw figures for it once somewhere (if someone can find it) - it was made up mainly of wedding cars plus a handful (>10) of voluntary tests and it was around 100 altogether.

Or was I dreaming.

Here was a voluntary test done back in 2010:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/should-classic-cars-be-immune-from-nct-tests-1.1239265

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Iirc we have discussed this before and iirc it is possible. It's a lot of test for just €55. Maybe give them a ring? Keep us updated!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

What if they uncovered a dangerous fault? Could they stop your car being driven or if it's a case if "doesn't legally need an NCT" and off you go? (Common sense not applying obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

antodeco wrote: »
    What if they uncovered a dangerous fault? Could they stop your car being driven or if it's a case if "doesn't legally need an NCT" and off you go? (Common sense not applying obviously)

Surely if there was a dangerous fault, you'd be happy that they found it and you would do the responsible thing and have it trailered away?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

he did say "common sense not applying". I think he was asking if a fail would keep an NCT exempt car from the road, legally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Isambard wrote: »
    he did say "common sense not applying". I think he was asking if a fail would keep an NCT exempt car from the road, legally.

You'd be criminally responsible if you knowingly drove an unroadworthy car and were in an accident.

So stretching a point here a bit ,if your exempt car failed ,and subsequently if you went away and got it repaired professionally, I bet you'd not be off the hook , until the NCT retested it or a suitably qualified engineer signed it off as safe, and of course unless you gave the engineer full disclosure (about NCT fail) ,you might still have an issue.

Also they might discover your precious classic is a ringer:eek: they would be obligated to tell the Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i don't think the car being unroadworthy actually is the concern of the question. What if for instance it failed due to incorrect numberplates or some other safety unrelated issue? Could the owner of an exempt vehicle drive on regardless or would he be obliged to rectify the fault? ?

Advertisement