Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mac forum - General chit chat/idle banter

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Bluetooth still being crap. Is there a way of checking what files are corrupt? And then, creating a new back up that you know doesn't have corrupt files?

I see Apple are throwing down a billion dollars for a facility in Texas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Are you downloading a lot? Apple often have WiFi and Bluetooth on the same chip so interference can be a problem. I had to stop using a Magic Mouse with my old MBP for this reason. Never dropped completely, but it was constantly jumping around the screen while downloading big files.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Are you downloading a lot? Apple often have WiFi and Bluetooth on the same chip so interference can be a problem. I had to stop using a Magic Mouse with my old MBP for this reason. Never dropped completely, but it was constantly jumping around the screen while downloading big files.

Only Word docs and PDFs from websites, emails, or the likes of job applications.
    OSI wrote: »

Just tried that now, thanks. Will keep an eye. Resetting all connected Apple devices is mentioned in that link...if needs be.

The symptoms are if I wake the machine from sleep the mouse and keyboard generally go on the fritz. They usually come back in about 30 seconds, but not always and I've to restart, or sometimes only one comes back. And there was always that hiccup if you connected a Garmin watch by USB it will knock out the Bluetooth completely. Last time I was in with Compub they found nothing wrong with the Bluetooth.

No joy on the Bluetooth, still troublesome.

My 5s (work phone) was acting up recently. Restarting of its own accord. Turned out it was the Twitter app - uninstall/reinstall and it's been fine since.

Any word on what we can expect from Apple in 2019?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭MHP

Bluetooth problems on this Mac Pro after upgrading to Mojave - "Bluetooth unavailable". Seems to be a not uncommon problem. Shutting down, switching off the power and rebooting turns it on again. Hopefully 10.14.3 will fix it.

• Advertisement

I look at the forums on MacRumours sometimes, particularly when a new version of iOS comes out. Does Apple keep an eye on those sort of sites re bug reports, etc?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I look at the forums on MacRumours sometimes, particularly when a new version of iOS comes out. Does Apple keep an eye on those sort of sites re bug reports, etc?

Doubtful when they have their own bug tracking system, and support forums that they can pull data from. Most bugs they probably know about just from their own testing and it's just a matter of getting around to fixing them.

Strange to wear Air Pods to a television studio...bloke near the woman talking here.

https://twitter.com/bbcquestiontime/status/1083498634904256516

AirPods are the latest fashion symbol. They are sold out in the UK such is the demand. That you would just wear at all times is apparently considered a sign of wealth.

Reinstalled Mojave to try and sort my glitchy Bluetooth mouse/keyboard issues. No joy.

• Advertisement

Just looked at the top ish spec of a 27 inch iMac for the craic. 64GB RAM, 2TB SSD, etc.

€6,239.00

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

This is nothing new during the cheese grater Mac Pro days you could spec a machine to around €35-40k.

Niche pro systems are pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm looking at buying a 2018 Macbook Air 256GB on Amazon it's €200 cheaper than buying it off Apple is there anything I should be looking out for with the guarantee from Amazon compared to Apple?

Not sure on that, tbh. Have you looked at refurbs on Apple's site?

I'm looking at buying a 2018 Macbook Air 256GB on Amazon it's €200 cheaper than buying it off Apple is there anything I should be looking out for with the guarantee from Amazon compared to Apple?

Not really. The 1 year manufacturer's warranty offered by Apple is worldwide, so no problems there. But be aware that beyond that year if you have any issues you will have to claim against Amazon under UK consumer law. If you want peace of mind, get Applecare to extend Apple's warranty to 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Has the trackpad on an MacBook Air even gotten stuck for anyone? It's a 2011 model and the right hand side (right click) doesn't work anymore as it seems to be stuck. The left clock still works ok.

I've changed the right click option to a double tap on the other side but if it was an easy fix, I'd prefer to go back to the way it was.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Those trackpads are hinged along the top; it doesn’t matter where you click. There’s an option to assign a left and right click but this won’t help you figure it out. Set it to the default click anywhere with two finger click for ‘right’ click and see how it responds.

It might be sign of an expanding battery. Might be worth having a look inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Not sure on that, tbh. Have you looked at refurbs on Apple's site?

Got one on the refub store saved the same money getting it off Apple themselves thanks for the heads up.

Downloaded an update for my iPod Touch, now includes the TV app.

Seems to be a few videos going around with people giving out about Apple's forums, or the interaction on there. I've never used them. 90k a year?!

• Advertisement

19 hours to back up Time Machine - 26GB. Thought it was faster than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Slow internal and external drive?

The estimate is a moving target and will change as the backup progresses.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Time Machine is deliberately throttled to save power. You can temporarily speed it up.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/6338/time-machine-backup-is-slow-how-can-i-speed-it-up

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

How could that happen...?

“The Daily Mail reports.”

It didn’t :pac:

Assuming it's true, he's lucky the battery didn't explode in his stomach.

Guts of $20k for an original iPod. Imagine seeing that sort of money exit your bank account for what, nostalgia? https://www.macrumors.com/2019/05/09/rare-original-ipod-ebay-auction/

Actual ebay listing. https://www.ebay.com/itm/273838925310?ul_noapp=true

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

Guts of $20k for an original iPod. Imagine seeing that sort of money exit your bank account for what, nostalgia? https://www.macrumors.com/2019/05/09/rare-original-ipod-ebay-auction/

Actual ebay listing. https://www.ebay.com/itm/273838925310?ul_noapp=true

I had one of those !!! I remember at the time being blown away by the thoughts of not having to carry CDs around for my Discman!

Endless hours of ripping CDs on to the iMac and editing Album and Tracknames - getting art work etc ... and then once you go running the iPod skipped !!

• Advertisement

RIP to my mid-2011 MBA whose battery has just swollen to twice its size. Apart from the deformity this has caused, it's still working! But I think it's time has come. It's my own fault for leaving it plugged it all the time and not getting the battery replaced. Until I get a replacement machine I'm now back to using my even older 2009 MBP, though I'm going to have to see about disabling charging so I don't have a repeat of what happened to my MBA.

Advertisement