Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Victory for the little man - Supermacs v McDonalds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Soggy chips always fresh, never frozen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's not really about liking Supermacs to be honest. Sometimes you just need to take on the mega corps (and the injury claims chancers).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Supermacs is ok. Nothing special tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

delly wrote: »
    Spermacs

Don't order the "shake"

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

sxt wrote: »
    Supermacs chips taste like chips I.e potatoes

McDonald's chips taste like over oiled saturated, rehydrated potatoes leftovers , with added salt, and beef flavoring. They have 17 ingredients in their fries ffs

I think comparing McDonalds and Supermacs chips are like comparing Pringles and Tayto. One are made from real potatoes with some added ingredients such as flavouring and salt but the are made mostly from artificial ingredients.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Supermacs are not the "little man" nor do they have anything in common with the "little man"

True Pat McDonagh himself now appears to be proven to a be a fraudster by forging signatures on made up submissions in support of a new service station in Ennnis.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/my-signature-was-forged-clare-locals-caught-up-in-fake-submissions-on-service-station-plan-1.3604135

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Supermacs are not the "little man" nor do they have anything in common with the "little man"

I believe McDonalds pay better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,264 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Stephen15 wrote: »
    True Pat McDonagh himself now appears to be proven to a be a fraudster by forging signatures on made up submissions in support of a new service station in Ennnis.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/my-signature-was-forged-clare-locals-caught-up-in-fake-submissions-on-service-station-plan-1.3604135

Far from proven.
    The company disowned the forged submissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

McDonalds were being w*nkers in Europe, to try and stop Supermacs, they trademarked, 'Snackbox', as far as I can tell.

It wasn't just about this, McDonalds have been preemptively trademarking anything they think might stop or slow down Supermacs..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

elperello wrote: »
    In the chip shop game it's a big company.
    Support your local chipper if you must have fast food.

(by the way I'm not in the trade just prefer to support small business's)

This isn’t “the chip shop game”. It’s a small company taking on one of the biggest companies in the world, with 40,000 restaurants worldwide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Supermacs chips taste like chips I.e potatoes

McDonald's chips taste like over oiled saturated, rehydrated potatoes leftovers , with added salt, and beef flavoring. They have 17 ingredients in their fries ffs
    Not in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Anyone else hungry reading through this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

. They have 17 ingredients in their fries ffs

These companys have websites with information on them now.

http://www.mcdonalds.ie/iehome/promotions/trust-potatoes.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiApvbhBRDXARIsALnNoK2JAEVtkG0i5GotF4AhJ5ZaSOmt5VlfKTqPyzZoAcMFDumUf0ZsNuoaArZ8EALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

begbysback wrote: »

Yes. For KFC, for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Legend has it the further a Supermacs is from Galway, the ****tier the food is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Massiveguganga

The dashboard of Hiaces and Golf gtd are littered with supermacs my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

There's a lad with takeaways in co cork and limerick called McDonal's.

And a place in Abbeyfeale called Super Ma's!
    begbysback wrote: »

I'm in New Zealand and reading this thread is the farthest I've felt from home in a while, I'd murder a Garlic Cheese Chips and a Mighty Mac and I know I can't get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

tomoliver wrote: »
    Have the cows commented yet?

their the major player in all this

Pull the udder one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

The legal teams for Wheatbisk and Wheat Shreds must be putting their cases together as we speak.

And now to open another can of Breysers, the true King of beers.

Bottoms up!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

KungPao wrote: »
    The legal teams for Wheatbisk and Wheat Shreds must be putting their cases together as we speak.

Bottoms up!

Crack open a packet of these bad boys while you're at it.

40717-155093.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

McDonald’s is the largest buyer of Bord Bia Quality Assured meat in Ireland and its bacon comes from Dew Valley in Thurles. This beef and bacon isn’t only purchased for the Irish market.

McDonald’s probably contributes a lot more to the Irish economy and society than supermacs does. McDonald’s employees are better paid and have more opportunities to upskill. McDonald’s also provides accommodation to the families of sick children in hospital.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

KungPao wrote: »

Bottoms up!

what's the story with this stuff? i'd presume there was a legal settlement years ago

bud.gif

Edit:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budweiser_trademark_dispute
    The dispute has been ongoing since 1907, and has involved more than 100 court cases around the world. As a result, Budweiser Budvar has the rights to the name Budweiser in most of Europe and Anheuser-Busch InBev has this right in North America. Consequently, AB InBev uses the name "Bud" in most of Europe and Budvar sells its beer in North America under the name "Czechvar". In other territories, one or other or even both may use the name, depending on local trademark law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

There used to be a chipper in Galway called the Snack Box. Was right across from Taaffes and did an unreal snack box
    I wonder did McDonalds force them to close?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

McDonald’s also provides accommodation to the families of sick children in hospital.

It's unclear how much of that money comes from the public, and how much actually comes from McDonald's.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/simon-harris-s-big-idea-the-kentucky-fried-chicken-pox-wing-1.3745309
    McDonald’s, however, has been able to reap the benefits of having the facility named after it while also finding ways to offset the onerous financial burden that the association places on the $100 billion company.

Fun runs, cycles, charity walks and presumably containers beside the cash register are used to raise funds from their customers that McDonald’s itself presumably cannot afford.

The numerical breakdown of how much of the funds McDonald’s contributes from its profits and those that are collected from their customers in their restaurants may well not be getting through to the general public but the branding association continues unaffected.

Pretty unethical to use a hospital to promote junk food to children, though.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/options-are-limited-for-raising-funds-for-children-s-hospital-1.3741791
    Ronald McDonald House – the charitable arm of the McDonalds fast-food chain – is providing parents’ accommodation in a 53-bed block at the new hospital, an arrangement that has been criticised as inappropriate by the HSE’s own anti-obesity leader.

Supermac's is hardly healthy eating but they don't aggressively market themselves towards children in the same way.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Has the trademark of "Big Mac" by McDonalds been cancelled as the article reports, or just McDonalds opposition to the use of the Supermacs brand outside of Ireland?

I find the article confusing... "“This is a victory for all small businesses. It prevents bigger companies from hoarding trademarks with no intention of using them.” Is someone suggesting that McDonald's does not utilise the "Big Mac" trademark?

McDonalds have hoarded a ton of registered trademarks they do not use!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I don't know much about Supermacs, but their garlic and cheese chips are just the right medicine at 2am after a feed of pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

you mean victory for a company that pays all it's employees minimum wage, has anyone not management on zero hour contracts, deducts money from their employees for their uniform, staff meal, and makes them clock out for not only lunch breaks but bathroom breaks and smoke breaks and oh yeah, most of em put every sandwich/meal up by 1 euro, ostensibly to cover the VAT and min wage rises that came in this year, but they put the prices up start of December so they would get a pile of extra cash during the Christmas period when people are splashing out.

if you think they're some plucky underdog who isn't just as rotten as McD's...

deducts money from their employees for their uniform

Tesco is worse. In Tesco the staff have to buy there own uniforms.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

tomoliver wrote: »
    Have the cows commented yet?

their the major player in all this

To be fair they have a steak in it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

kneemos wrote: »
    Supermacs ruin shoite food.

MacDonald's at least add a bit of flavour to their crap.

I disagree, Supermacs while still fast food is superior in every way to MacDonalds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    There used to be a chipper in Galway called the Snack Box. Was right across from Taaffes and did an unreal snack box
    I wonder did McDonalds force them to close?

Bon Iver worked there for a while when he lived in Galway apparently (prior to being famous).

Advertisement