Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Victory for the little man - Supermacs v McDonalds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

SuperMacs for me is far better and cheaper than McDonalds, both are shiite unhealthy food but SuperMac's seem to have real chips and a bevy of attractive Brazilian workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Food is poor in Supermacs. This guy also seems to stick an advertising hoarding (mobile) in some field on approaching roads into towns.
    I don't know if he has planning or he just pays a farmer for it.
    Burgers are decent. They never give you enough chips though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Allinall wrote: »
    Have to disagree.

I think it’s quite tempting and tasty.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

On a similar note didn't O'Neills sportswear win a case against Adidas once?

A Passing off offence on the three stripe design.

Hard to believe Adidas lost that tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭tomoliver

elperello wrote: »
    [/B]

Exactly.

confirms the ads work anyhow

"tempting and tasy food at supermacs"

• Advertisement

tomoliver wrote: »
    confirms the ads work anyhow

"tempting and tasy food at supermacs"

Always be suspicious when you hear an ex-schoolteacher (P McDonough) extolling the virtues of his "chicken breast sangwidge"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Most of the menu is dreadful

And then you get to

Curry and coleslaw chips.

Stuff of gastric nightmares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Wow, it's like David versus Goliath, only this time... David won!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Supermacs is the business.

Nothing better at 2:30am than a Mighty Mac, garlic chips, onion rings and a milkshake if you’re lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Good work, delighted for him to win against the big American bullies

• Advertisement

ronald mcdonald wont be happy

he's half irish too or scottish or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Wow, it's like David versus Goliath, only this time... David won!

Am I missing the joke here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

you mean victory for a company that pays all it's employees minimum wage, has anyone not management on zero hour contracts, deducts money from their employees for their uniform, staff meal, and makes them clock out for not only lunch breaks but bathroom breaks and smoke breaks and oh yeah, most of em put every sandwich/meal up by 1 euro, ostensibly to cover the VAT and min wage rises that came in this year, but they put the prices up start of December so they would get a pile of extra cash during the Christmas period when people are splashing out.

if you think they're some plucky underdog who isn't just as rotten as McD's...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Spermacs is okay in fairness, but the price is what keeps me away. Mcdonalds have the eurosaver as well as the happy meal and regular meal combo for €8 which is very reasonable.

delly wrote: »
    Spermacs is okay in fairness, but the price is what keeps me away. Mcdonalds have the eurosaver as well as the happy meal and regular meal combo for €8 which is very reasonable.

the eurosaver is good in fairness

double cheeseburger and curly fries cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Humphrey BoaGart

Copyright Expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,637 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

''My buns have no seeds''

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

kneemos wrote: »
    Supermacs ruin shoite food.

MacDonald's at least add a bit of flavour to their crap.

Supermacs is a good bit more expensive too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Burgers are decent. They never give you enough chips though.

I got Supermacs burgers a couple of times and they always repeat on me.

I went to the McDs drive tru recently and got one of their selected burgers - really good but you pay for it. The chips are poor, too thin for me and drowned in salt.

delly wrote: »

In fairness, as you say, if you are caught out with no other option for a bit of fodder then maybe.

In the real world you can put up a nice tasty meal for four for €8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Supermacs are not the "little man" nor do they have anything in common with the "little man"

They absolutely are. They aren't a big company at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Supermacs chips taste like chips I.e potatoes

McDonald's chips taste like over oiled saturated, rehydrated potatoes leftovers , with added salt, and beef flavoring. They have 17 ingredients in their fries ffs

fullstop wrote: »
    They absolutely are. They aren't a big company at all.

Annual revenue over €100,000,000. That's a big company. Granted not as big as McDonalds but big just the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

elperello wrote: »
    Annual revenue over €100,000,000. That's a big company. Granted not as big as McDonalds but big just the same.

In the QSR game, it's not.

fullstop wrote: »
    In the QSR game, it's not.

In the chip shop game it's a big company.
    Support your local chipper if you must have fast food.

(by the way I'm not in the trade just prefer to support small business's)

To be fair they have to protect their trademark. And giving in once causes a precedent.
    There's a difference between trademark preservation and using a name that pre-existed the trademark. That is expecially true of the Mini repairmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I got Supermacs burgers a couple of times and they always repeat on me.

I went to the McDs drive tru recently and got one of their selected burgers - really good but you pay for it. The chips are poor, too thin for me and drowned in salt.

You can ask for chips with no salt in McDonald's. Means they have to cook fresh batch for you too.

Self service machines are great because you can customize everything like no ice in drinks, no salt on chips, no bun on burger if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

a victory for the rednecks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

you mean victory for a company that pays all it's employees minimum wage, has anyone not management on zero hour contracts, deducts money from their employees for their uniform, staff meal, and makes them clock out for not only lunch breaks but bathroom breaks and smoke breaks and oh yeah, most of em put every sandwich/meal up by 1 euro, ostensibly to cover the VAT and min wage rises that came in this year, but they put the prices up start of December so they would get a pile of extra cash during the Christmas period when people are splashing out.

if you think they're some plucky underdog who isn't just as rotten as McD's...

I worked in a Supermacs in college. You'd be working from 6pm to 4:30am and you'd get a 30 minute break and a 15 minute break - both unpaid. Same would apply for 8am to 6pm.

I remember having the weekly deduction for uniforms.

Conditions were pretty poor overall - eventually premium payments for Sunday and Bank Holidays came in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mikemac2 wrote: »
    A Canadian teenager getting cease & desist letters from a corporation in Washington State? Not even the same citizenship of this large corporation

My support lies with the young chap. What sin did he commit apart from being named by his parents and having an interest in software. Microsoft don't own Mike Rowe imo

Mikerowesoft.com , really?

Chose it completely by accident did he?

He knew what he was at and that's why you know who he is.

Advertisement