Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destroying A Whole Generation Of Music

Options
  • 15-01-2019 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

I was just listening to Radio Nova and along comes a song from Dire Straits, it was 'Money For Nothing', But at the part when he sing's...

That little ****** got his own jet airplane
    That little ****** he's a millionaire, It was cut from the song. It's only the start, soon a whole original generation of music will be completely destroyed if this keeps up.Any song that has a slight forwarded word of unease will be cut and mangled to suit the millennial safe-space boxed people.

What do you think, is removing lyrics from original music a good thing or a bad thing ?.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Just listen to the uncensored version.

Problem solved!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Oh, we’re blaming the millennials for the BAI rules now are we? Stupid millennials with their stranglehold on the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Absolutely a bad thing.

Music is a reflection of life like all art and life contains vulgarities.

Music is art, you wouldn't destroy a piece of Rembrandt or Van Gogh would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

That song must make up about 10% of Nova’s playlist

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Interesting, I've listened to that song hundreds if not thousands of times and never actually heard the word that's bleeped out at all. Had to Google the lyrics! I've no idea what word I thought I was hearing all those years either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭Allinall

Fagg,ot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

One Dire Straits song isn't too bad, if it means the entire genre (90% anyway) of rap music is censored due to it's lyrical theme around social irresponsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

Allinall wrote: »
    Fagg,ot

Translated To English... &ollox

Soon, we will not even notice the changes and removal of lyrics. It's a dangerous precedent.

Play 'The Dead Kennedy's' now and most will collapse in shock, needing an ambulance.

To drunk to ****, will be too much of an embarrassment to some men and they will run into their wardrobe to hide of the fear of it all.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Radio censorship, pre-watershed, has been a thing since like the 60's in Ireland?

Go listen to any given Eminem song and you'll get the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Only heard that line of the song in the last I'd say five years. Prior to that, any time I heard the song it didn't even have that verse. So there has obviously been a radio edit for years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Translated To English... &ollox

Soon, we will not even notice the changes and removal of lyrics. It's a dangerous precedent.

Play 'The Dead Kennedy's' now and most will collapse in shock, needing an ambulance.

To drunk to ****, will be too much of an embarrassment to some men and they will run into their wardrobe to hide of the fear of it all.

Remember when Jello Biafra from DK took on Tipper Gore and her pmrc group on Oprah? For the censoring of an album cover, he made absolute ribbons of her on the show

Remember when Jello Biafra from DK took on Tipper Gore and her pmrc group on Oprah? For the censoring of an album cover, he made absolute ribbons of her on the show

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Radio censorship, pre-watershed, has been a thing since like the 60's in Ireland?

Go listen to any given Eminem song and you'll get the same thing.

But, this is the first time ever that I heard a Dire Straits song censored, they always used the full lyrics at least 1 year ago, but I only noticed it and a few other songs missing the original full lyrics.

Yeah cuz the Dead Kennedys are always on the radio!

Bleeping out words is not a new thing.

But, this is the first time ever that I heard a Dire Straits song censored, they always used the full lyrics at least 1 year ago, but I only noticed it and a few other songs missing the original full lyrics.
    Despite the song being almost 34 years old, I only first heard the full length version with the "little ******" bit in recent years.

Yeah cuz the Dead Kennedys are always on the radio!

Bleeping out words is not a new thing.

They should be, the message in their music is more relevant today than it was back then, way ahead of their time and better than 90% of the plastic music for plastic people that's played

That's very interesting. It does go a long way back indeed. But it's getting a bit over-done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

My favourite bit of censorship ever was some rapper smoking a cigar, and MTV has blurred out the smoke coming off the cigar, but not the cigar itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I bought the Money for Nothing compilation in about 1992 and the f*ggot verse was cut out entirely. During live performances (e.g. live Aid in 1985) the verse was there but generally with f*ggot changed to "queenie" which itself might be deemed offensive today. As might the "chicks for free" lyrics.

Love that song.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Despite the song being almost 34 years old, I only first heard the full length version with the "little ******" bit in recent years.
    I have the CD bought pretty much when it first came out and have listened back to that track. The f@ggot lines are definitely in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Is ****** blocked on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

troyzer wrote: »
    Is ****** blocked on boards?

Hmm, apparently it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Brothers in Arms was the first vinyl album I ever bought

My favourite bit of censorship ever was some rapper smoking a cigar, and MTV has blurred out the smoke coming off the cigar, but not the cigar itself.

Yep, that's what we are dealing with now... Lunatics that think the world should be non masculine in every way, just placid and pink with blue hues of serenity mashticated in a smooth covering of boxed thinking and fear of what a human being might say.

Brothers in Arms was the first vinyl album I ever bought

And what a beautiful album that was. The guitar was really top quality.

Alun wrote: »
    I have the CD bought pretty much when it first came out and have listened back to that track. The f@ggot lines are definitely in there.
    Oh on the album yes of course, but the radio edit omits that part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

And what a beautiful album that was. The guitar was really top quality.

Walk Of Life ruins the album. So out of place.

Walk Of Life ruins the album. So out of place.

Yes, but there will always be one in every part of life.

Radio is on its way out now any way, most songs are badly put together, love songs that make you feel energetic to get up and switch to a different channel only to enter another frequency to hear the same downer love song of which almost makes you feel down. The 80's pirate stations were the best, no adds just music, instead of all talk, no music as what is the case today on radio. Radio is almost dead. Nova is the last one, but that could and will go to 15 minutes adverts and no music soon. maybe it's time to shut-down the FM radio spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The original post displays a fundamental ignorance and lack of awareness regarding the concept of radio edits and single versions.

The are at least four versions of Money For Nothing.

The Brothers In Arms album came out in May 1985. The vinyl version has a 7:04 version of Money For Nothing. F****t lyric included. The CD had longer mixes of selected tracks - Money For Nothing is 8:25. Fa***t is in the house.

The Money For Nothing single emerged at the end of June 1985. The 7" includes the single edit which runs for 4:38. No fag**t lyric.

In 1988, Dire Straits released a best of album called Money For Nothing. To promote same, Vertigo put out a single on both 7" and CD that featured an even shorter edit (4:05) of Money For Nothing. No fagg*t on that either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

No consideration given to the fact that in the song he's mocking the people who had called someone a fag.

The lyrics are saying:

You called that guy a fagg0t, and now he's minted, with his own jet, while you're still here hauling microwave ovens and kitchen appliances.
    And he's still got his own hair.

Its a complete mockery of narrow mindedness, and ignorance.

But oooh it uses a bad word.

Edit; motion to ban the line 'yeah buddy thats his own hair'.

Baldist.

Advertisement