Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

This is a campaign for 4 years worth of recruitment with probably 20-30 positions available this year. I doubt they are gonna do medicals this year for people who won’t be taken on until 2023.

Then again who’s gonna put life on hold and wait till 2023 for this job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

of course they wouldn't... and even better for people applying then... I spotted back that they can apply again in 6 months, so people who don't get in on this phase, have another 2 or 3 cracks at it

edit: probably 50-80 people for interview then in this phase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

L1011 wrote: »
    Have seen tweets from people using the tests as a general aptitude test without any intent of going further. If that's in any way widespread the figures need to be taken with a pinch of salt

The tests are not general apptitude tests. So, they wont be getting general scores. The assessments are highly specific to 1) driving trains 2) certain characteristics that IR are seeking outside of driving trains, but shown to correlate with successful train drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Lads you want to give up the aul grass now as it’s detected in your system for ages incredible the amount of people fail Medical’s because of it

Lads you want to give up the aul grass now as it’s detected in your system for ages incredible the amount of people fail Medical’s because of it

And go easy on the drink the oul CMO loves his liver function tests!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

dar100 wrote: »
    The tests are not general apptitude tests. So, they wont be getting general scores. The assessments are highly specific to 1) driving trains 2) certain characteristics that IR are seeking outside of driving trains, but shown to correlate with successful train drivers

Yes, but people will take them for sh1ts and giggles, not intending to take it further. The second round, if they bother taking it, will weed the less serious out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

And go easy on the drink the oul CMO loves his liver function tests!!!!

It's the prostrate exam that's the worse.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    It's the prostrate exam that's the worse.

If your old enough!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Hair test or urine test?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Hair test or urine test?

Give up now and you should be fine I'd say. The medical won't be for a while. If you're worried about a hair test then get your hair cut before the medical!

• Advertisement

Finished the stage 2 tests. Answered as best I could. But I wasn't sure if they were looking for people who never break any rules, as it's safety involved, or people who can bend a little and have a bit more give with colleagues breaking rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lledlledlled

Does anyone know when we can expect stage 2 results?
    Best of luck to all who applied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Effects wrote: »
    Give up now and you should be fine I'd say. The medical won't be for a while. If you're worried about a hair test then get your hair cut before the medical!

I didnt even get accepted. Just curious as to what kind of test irish rail do.
    I know for most pilots its hair test. Seems to be similar for train drivers in terms of how strict and thorough the medicals are.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭336699

Only applied for this earlier this evening!

If I get through Stage 1, how long are you given to complete Stage 2?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

336699 wrote: »
    Only applied for this earlier this evening!

If I get through Stage 1, how long are you given to complete Stage 2?

Cheers
    Today the 15 th I think

You have until 15th January 2019 at 23:59 to complete the test(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Hard to know what they are looking for.... The person that always follows the chain of command and goes up the line to ask or the person that does their own thing a bit.

I approached it with the follow the rules and obey supervisor at all times angle but that doesnt seem to have worked. I'm out.

poteen wrote: »
    I approached it with the follow the rules and obey supervisor at all times angle but that doesnt seem to have worked. I'm out.

Out after round one?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭walsh.peter

Effects wrote: »
    Out after round one?

Sorry to hear. Did you get an e-mail today ?

Sorry to hear. Did you get an e-mail today ?

Sorry, I was just checking with the other poster who said they were out.

I know they said they'll let you know in a few weeks. Just wondering if you get a faster response if you don't pass round 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CiboC

I just finished all the round two tests now.

I appear to be a bit of an outlier to most, being a male approaching 50, but I got through the first round....!

The second set of tests were grand, ordinary humans are obviously not meant to ever get to the end of the letter blocks in test 3.

For the rules test I found it easier to go in reverse - look at the questions and then scan the rules text to pick out the answer. Doing it this way left me with about 6 minutes at the end to review all the answers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

Good idea about going in reverse - - I did part 2 last Sunday and that tactic seems so logical now you say it

As for approaching 50 - that was me a few years back:)

Best of luck all

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭336699

Got the email, passed Stage 1 and have until 23:59 tonight to do Stage 2, ugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

336699 wrote: »
    Got the email, passed Stage 1 and have until 23:59 tonight to do Stage 2, ugh!

Good luck. Give yourself a good 2 hours to complete so you can have a little break. The 30 questions section is mind-numbing. But at least it's not timed.
    (The other two sections are timed but don't take too long)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Just completed stage 2 there myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

done stage 2 there. few weeks now to wait for results.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Clever8619

Really good informative thread. I've done both tests. Parts more difficult than others like many aptitude tests.

Just wondering if you were to pass stage 2 what is stage 3? What does it entail and any idea where the medical requirements could be found?
    Regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Clever8619 wrote: »
    Really good informative thread. I've done both tests. Parts more difficult than others like many aptitude tests.

Just wondering if you were to pass stage 2 what is stage 3? What does it entail and any idea where the medical requirements could be found?
    Regards.

Retesting of S2 I would imagine, in controlled environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 071Class

Clever8619 wrote: »

Regards.

Stage 3 is doing similar tests, but in a controlled environment where they can ensure that it was you doing the first set of tests in Stage 2, so in theory, the results should be broadly similar in both tests. Also, I believe the miniSTAAT becomes a full STAAT in Stage 3 i.e. 9 tests as opposed to 3 tests in the miniSTAAT. MiniSTAAT is used to weed out individuals before they use the full STAAT, according to OPC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Clever8619

Anyone any idea of the medical requirements? Where I could find them? Many thanks in advance.

Advertisement