Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Galway man missing since Tuesday.

Options
  • 11-01-2019 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭

Galway man Robert Myrtle also known as Robert Murray has been missing since Tuesday, some folk had spotted him at the Spanish Arch in Wednesday evening. Knowing the man myself he is very close to his family and its not like him to be out of touch this long. Perhaps he is just at a very longish party somewhere in the country hopefully, but if you hear about his whereabouts or see him please don't hesitate to contact Millstreet Garda station as his family is very concerned.

49690705_10218828926659399_5072630932360396800_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=b91bbba3c1d55a09581bbaf1c78ffba7&oe=5CB6B46D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Update on this is he is still missing, there has been unconfirmed sightings of him on Wednesday and Thursday. If anyone could help with any info on tracing this guy please join this Facebook group and post. Thanks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I hope you find him soon. I was in the same horrible situation a few years back. My thoughts are with you all. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Tina82

hope you come home safely to your family and friends Robert x

Someone posted a description of him the last time he was seen in the group.

'Rob's height is 6ft,and he is broadly built. (so he is not thin nor 5ft)
    Green eyes with brown speckles. Short straight dark hair. When he left home he was wearing
    1)Maroon long sleeved tshirt
    2) Lightly rolled up jeans
    3) Green kaki jacket
    4)shoes were dark made with soft material.

And a new poster with more info.

50715976_2285103911721648_7099544128123305984_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=e0871692f33a15128cd407eb2ce7594b&oe=5CCAC887

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Are the recent coast searches for someone seen entering the river possibly related?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

We don't know yet, let's not speculate until there are official sources.

flazio wrote: »
    Are the recent coast searches for someone seen entering the river possibly related?

I don't think so as there is unconfirmed sightings of him on Wednesday, Thursday and Tuesday yesterday as well. The water incident I think occurred on Tuesday last week as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/search-of-shoreline-to-resume-in-bid-to-find-missing-salthill-man/

I don't know if there was any news from the search today but they mentioned going out again Saturday if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

It's such a pity CCTV takes so so long. :( The funny thing is, 4/5 closest Friends would sooner recognize their friend faster than Police-time spent on it! Such a good-looking lad. I do hope he is found soon. Xx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

<offtopic>

• Advertisement

It seems some new footage came about and an eye witness, a taxi driver saw a lad in a green jacket smoking a cigarette sitting on O'Brien Bridge and appears that he lost balance and fell backwards into the water. Family and Garda have also been looking at footage of the incident from CCTV of the lad on the bridge and falling backwards, the family have confirmed that its is indeed Robert. So sad to say it looks like this will be the final search to bring in his remains. RIP Robert Murray.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Omg that's terrible rip to the young man. I hope they make changes to the area to ensure nobody else can slip into the river in this manner

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Omg that's terrible rip to the young man. I hope they make changes to the area to ensure nobody else can slip into the river in this manner

Some, including coroners, have been saying for years that there need to be better barriers on the bridges and at key waterfront spots. The Harbour Board are the only ones who took any notice, and erected fences despite the whining of heritage proponents.

The usual retort is "but it won't stop anyone who's determined, spend the money on mental health".

This case clearly shows that there are people who it will save. Just build the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It seems some new footage came about and an eye witness, a taxi driver saw a lad in a green jacket smoking a cigarette sitting on O'Brien Bridge and appears that he lost balance and fell backwards into the water. Family and Garda have also been looking at footage of the incident from CCTV of the lad on the bridge and falling backwards, the family have confirmed that its is indeed Robert. So sad to say it looks like this will be the final search to bring in his remains. RIP Robert Murray.

Very sad news. RIP Robert.

I'm wondering how long did it take the taxi man to come forward? I would think if I witnessed that I'd be stopping the car in the middle of the road and reporting it immediately? Surely CCTV could've been checked immediately after such a report, then his family would've been saved the horrific limbo they've been in for the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Very sad news. RIP Robert.

I'm wondering how long did it take the taxi man to come forward? I would think if I witnessed that I'd be stopping the car in the middle of the road and reporting it immediately? Surely CCTV could've been checked immediately after such a report, then and his family would've been saved the horrific limbo they've been in for the past few weeks.

The taxi driver reported it immediately - that was why there was a major search at something like 3am on Thursday last week.

The "new" CCTV is probably digitally-enhanced to a point where they can identify who it was: on Thursday the didn't know, and some where even doubting if the taxi-driver really saw what he thought he saw.

I have removed some unconfirmed posts until there is an official source.
    PM me with source and I will reinstate the posts.

An official source is now available, thread reopened an posts reinstated as promised..

https://connachttribune.ie/body-discovered-at-renmore-beach-identified-as-missing-city-man-robert-murray/
    February 5, 2019
    The body discovered on a beach in the city last evening has been identified as that of missing man Robert Murray.
    The discovery was made at Ballyloughane beach in Renmore at around 8 last evening

RIP

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

So sorry folks. I'm glad your search is over. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

RIP young man.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

R.I.P

• Advertisement
Advertisement