Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UNCHARTED film adaptation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

edolan wrote: »
    I've always thought that Wahlberg is likeable in Four Brothers, Shooter and Three Kings.

Thought Wahlberg came across as a right tool in Four Brothers and dont remember him having much of a personality in Shooter (not exactly a good sign). Haven't seen Three Kings but he was also sh*t in The Other Guys. He cant pull off comedy, he is the same angry d*ckhead in most everything he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Saw this the other day and it perfectly sums up Wahlberg's acting range;

This film will be ****e!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Who cares about Drake...who would play Sully?! I reckon the best fit would be this guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Thought Wahlberg came across as a right tool in Four Brothers and dont remember him having much of a personality in Shooter (not exactly a good sign). Haven't seen Three Kings but he was also sh*t in The Other Guys. He cant pull off comedy, he is the same angry d*ckhead in most everything he does.

Four brothers was a **** movie full stop. I cannot stand Andre 3000.

I thought Wahlberg was hilarious in The Other Guys and he is excellent in The fighter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Good new everyone!
    Prof._Farnsworth.jpg
    David Russell has dropped out of directing Uncharted over creative differences:
    Variety wrote:
    A pair of tentpole-sized studio projects have lost their helmers, as David O. Russell exited "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune" over creative differences with Sony while Albert Hughes ankled Warner Bros.' live-action remake of the Japanese manga epic "Akira."

Though Russell was set to both write and direct "Uncharted," Thursday's departures would seem to be more of a blow to "Akira," the bigscreen take on the 1988 animated cult classic considered extremely difficult to adapt.

Hughes had been attached for more than a year to "Akira," which has been struggling to get an A-list male lead like Keanu Reeves, who was recently offered the role but passed. "Uncharted," meanwhile, is based on the juggernaut PlayStation 3 videogame franchise that Sony is still eager to develop for the bigscreen.

Russell had seemed excited about the Columbia Pictures project, speaking frequently and enthusiastically about it as he made the rounds to promote "The Fighter" during awards season. But creative differences between him and Sony developed and the sides parted amicably, insiders say.

Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer penned the first draft of "Uncharted," which Sony is still very high on, though the studio has already begun a search for another scribe. While there has never been talent formally attached to "Uncharted," Russell had been looking to reteam with "The Fighter" star Mark Wahlberg; project was also rumored to co-star Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci. But with a new writer and director coming aboard, producers Avi Arad, Ari Arad, Charles Roven and Alex Gartner will likely start from scratch.

Now lets hope they get someone who has actually played the game direct it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,209 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

On one hand the news is good given the direction he was taking it. On another I was curious to see how an eccentric director like Russell would have tackled it. If they now get Nathan Fillion on board, I'm happy to move on though.

The Akira news, though, is immensely satisfying. That film deserves to be sent to the deepest darkest recesses of development hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,612 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Get Nathan Fillion and Joss Wheddon now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Young Nathan? Don't really understand the logic behind that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Really strange choice to go with a young Nathan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

siblers wrote: »
    Young Nathan? Don't really understand the logic behind that

Well in Uncharted 2 and 3 you get to play as young Nathan so I'm sure the film will explain some plot holes the way the game does....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

yeah I thought the bit with young Nathan in 3 was among the best in the game

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nathan Fillion made an Uncharted mini-movie (15 minutes long) - he plays Nathan Drake. Watch it before Sony issue a C&D. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,434 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Now I would pay to see the full length version with Nathan and Stephen after watching that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Is this a deadpool type thing?

Hope so would love to see more of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Is this a deadpool type thing?

Hope so would love to see more of this.

Yeah my guess is they are trying to snowball the hype, to get things kickstarted similar to deadpool.

I'm a big Nathan fan, but i dont think that shorts gonna green light anything, sadly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

nix wrote: »
    Yeah my guess is they are trying to snowball the hype, to get things kickstarted similar to deadpool.

I'm a big Nathan fan, but i dont think that shorts gonna green light anything, sadly :(

Would be better than the young Nathan movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,881 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Liked the nods to the Uncharted franchise towards the end as it went from cutscene to gameplay.
    Though Nate ran like the middle aged man Nathan is. :)

The main bad guy needs to be in more. Always thought he has a great voice from when he was in Banshee.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭siblers

That short is pretty awful, feels like some run of the mill TV action series you'd see on Sky One or CBS Action. Didn't seem to capture any of the atmosphere or feel of the game

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, it looks like cosplay. And Fillion is getting a bit too old for this now. Not sure if this was just a bit of fun or a proof of concept. If it was the latter, then it wasn't very good. I can't imagine a studio being impressed by the over the shoulder FPS camera angles.

The games are basically movies anyway and ones which borrowed heavily from other films. There's nothing to be gained in adapting them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,951 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, I bare no ill will to the game franchise, but given its already an intentionally cinematic game, what's the point of a movie? The comparisons will only be more obvious to make, and unless the movie adaptation is frontloaded with the very best talent, it'll only hope to disappoint at the hands of whatever hack they cart in to direct / write it.

IE, exactly what happened with Tomb Raider.

It would gain a **** load of money, follywood dont care if it will be anything different from the games. Heck just look at the resident evil movies to see how little they give a **** about being faithful to the game franchise.

Just throw some explosions and cleavage in and it will make a killing behind the Uncharted name :(

Though I'm hoping Naughtydog are preventing that from happening, or would sony have the control over that more?

Myself, i think it would do better as a TV series, and maybe thats what Nathan is trying to show with this short?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,951 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It would gain a **** load of money, follywood dont care if it will be anything different from the games. Heck just look at the resident evil movies to see how little they give a **** about being faithful to the game franchise.

Just throw some explosions and cleavage in and it will make a killing behind the Uncharted name :(

Though I'm hoping Naughtydog are preventing that from happening, or would sony have the control over that more?

Myself, i think it would do better as a TV series, and maybe thats what Nathan is trying to show with this short?

But would it? Tomb Raider is a pretty apt comparison here: it was an adaptation of the more recent, intentionally cinematic reboot of one of the more well-known videogame properties, yet while its stats are decent enough it hardly set the box office alight. Another one of those films whose foreign takings eclipsed domestic, while the "2x" rule for calculating the final budget means it didn't even make its production budget back. It also slunk by on shoulder-shrugs for reviews, and a broadly lukewarm audience reception.

The Resident Evil films make gangbusters because their budgets are much tighter (last year's 'the Final Chapter' had half the production budget of Tomb Raider), while at the same time is a series that, for all its faults, happily embraces the schlocky, z-movie heritage from which it & the game IP was born. It's the exception that proves the rule.

Otherwise, game adaptations just don't work, and wish Hollywood would leave well enough alone. They're nearly always on a hiding to nothing: few of the IPs have a fanbase that translates into cinema footfall anyway, and if you can't recreate the visceral thrill of actually playing a game - what's the point?

If anything, it's TV where the more narrative focused games should focus; if networks wanted to pick up an adaptation of Bioshock, Half-Life or so on - that could give pause for consideration.

pixelburp wrote: »
    But would it? Tomb Raider is a pretty apt comparison here: it was an adaptation of the more recent, intentionally cinematic reboot of one of the more well-known videogame properties, yet while its stats are decent enough it hardly set the box office alight. Another one of those films whose foreign takings eclipsed domestic, while the "2x" rule for calculating the final budget means it didn't even make its production budget back. It also slunk by on shoulder-shrugs for reviews, and a broadly lukewarm audience reception.

The Resident Evil films make gangbusters because their budgets are much tighter (last year's 'the Final Chapter' had half the production budget of Tomb Raider), while at the same time is a series that, for all its faults, happily embraces the schlocky, z-movie heritage from which it & the game IP was born. It's the exception that proves the rule.

Otherwise, game adaptations just don't work, and wish Hollywood would leave well enough alone. They're nearly always on a hiding to nothing: few of the IPs have a fanbase that translates into cinema footfall anyway, and if you can't recreate the visceral thrill of actually playing a game - what's the point?

If anything, it's TV where the more narrative focused games should focus; if networks wanted to pick up an adaptation of Bioshock, Half-Life or so on - that could give pause for consideration.

Tomb raider has been done before though, and they just done the same thing with it again also, which is why it was a pile of poo.

Uncharted on the other hand, the last uncharted is the PS4's highest selling game, that alone will put bums in seats if you spam that in the marketing. It made nearly a million more than Monster hunter world (but that is multi platform) and thats already getting its own movie.

Now i myself would prefer if they didnt make it, but at the same time wouldnt mind if they did, I'm a sucker for exploration action packed scavenger hunt movies à la Indiana Jones.

Tomb raider has been done before though, and they just done the same thing with it again also, which is why it was a pile of poo.

Uncharted on the other hand, the last uncharted is the PS4's highest selling game, that alone will put bums in seats if you spam that in the marketing. It made nearly a million more than Monster hunter world (but that is multi platform) and thats already getting its own movie.

Now i myself would prefer if they didnt make it, but at the same time wouldnt mind if they did, I'm a sucker for exploration action packed scavenger hunt movies à la Indiana Jones.

Right. Indiana Jones. Exactly. That's the precise reason why Tomb Raider failed again, and why Uncharted isn't a sure-fire hit. Strip away the quips, the frippery, and most importantly, the interactivity, what you're left with are uninspired Indiana Jones knock-offs; no different than any other attempt to make an off-brand version - such as the Nicholas Cage 'National Treasure' films.

I don't buy the argument that 'highest selling game' means a thing to box-office viability, that's kinda the point I was gearing towards. Video games just don't demonstrate the kind of invested fanbase that (say) book adaptations might possess & often follow into the cinema. And while video-games have never been more mainstream, why would I want to pay €15 to watch a 2 hour cutscene that has (probably) taken liberties with the story I already know - and can take part in?

The Tomb Raider franchise is one of the largest there ever was, and Lara Croft mania was an actual thing that transcended the medium back in the late 90s. Still didn't translate to box office domination, even the first time around with the Jolie films. They did fine, well enough for a sequel, but faded quick enough.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Right. Indiana Jones. Exactly. That's the precise reason why Tomb Raider failed again, and why Uncharted isn't a sure-fire hit. Strip away the quips, the frippery, and most importantly, the interactivity, what you're left with are uninspired Indiana Jones knock-offs; no different than any other attempt to make an off-brand version - such as the Nicholas Cage 'National Treasure' films.

I don't buy the argument that 'highest selling game' means a thing to box-office viability, that's kinda the point I was gearing towards. Video games just don't demonstrate the kind of invested fanbase that (say) book adaptations might possess & often follow into the cinema. And while video-games have never been more mainstream, why would I want to pay €15 to watch a 2 hour cutscene that has (probably) taken liberties with the story I already know - and can take part in?

The Tomb Raider franchise is one of the largest there ever was, and Lara Croft mania was an actual thing that transcended the medium back in the late 90s. Still didn't translate to box office domination, even the first time around with the Jolie films. They did fine, well enough for a sequel, but faded quick enough.

Well id argue that the reason Tomb raider struggled (on both ventures) is because the only notable character from the Tomb raider games is Lara. Everything else had to be made up, so it was always going to be tough to create other characters from nothing and try and formulate a comradery between those and Lara.

With Uncharted, you have a handful of notable characters already; Nathan, Elena and Sully, then you can throw in Samuel and Nadine and the other countless villains/characters that the fans will cheer for and that the remaining target audience will find interesting.

They have a lot more content with character and story to bring it to life than Tomb raider ever did, so i can actually see it taking off. Sure Tomb raider had characters throughout the games but they were so basic and under developed in comparison to what Uncharted pumped out.

Now i agree with everything you're saying, with follywoods track record, they will more than likely sh!t the bed. But if any game has a chance to do well and kickstart a successful movie franchise for a wide audience, its this one.

EDIT: Also to note, Uncharted is a playstation exclusive franchise, so there is still alot of the gaming community untapped. PC, xbox and Nintendo die hards that dont buy playstations, and then the rest of world.

‘Uncharted’ Movie Director Confirms the Film Is ‘Close to the Starting Line’
    A movie based upon Naughty Dog’s “Uncharted” series is still moving forward and will likely be director Shawn Levy’s next project.

Talking to The Playlist, when asked about his upcoming schedule Levy confirmed: “The closest to the starting line is “Uncharted” in that it’s a massive title.”

“We now have a very good script and we have our star in Tom Holland,” Levy added. “That is now subject to schedule and additional casting. But I would say as of right now, that seems to be the most near horizon.

“And it’s a movie I’m very excited about.”

Sony’s held the film rights to “Uncharted” for several years, evolving through many different crew and cast teams until Spider-Man star Tom Holland was announced as the adventure movie’s lead last year.

It’s thought the movie will act as a prequel to Nathan Drake’s story, with Holland appearing as a younger version of the Drake we know from the game series.

Last month, director Allan Ungar teamed up with actor Nathan Fillion to make an incredible 15-minute “Uncharted” fan film, complete with a fully realized combat scene and Drake’s characteristic wisecracks

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/uncharted-movie-update-1202903178/

‘Uncharted’ Movie Director Confirms the Film Is ‘Close to the Starting Line’

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/uncharted-movie-update-1202903178/

Shawn Levy has left

• Advertisement

It's back on with a new director Dan Trachtenberg replacing Shawn Levy Trachtenberg directed 10 Cloverfield Lane.

Advertisement