Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UNCHARTED film adaptation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,625 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

“Here to steal treasure and your heart”

Definitely his MO throughout the games.

No idea why this is branded as an Uncharted movie, and not just a new Tom Holland movie. Because they’ve zero clue beyond the character names.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,957 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Steal your heart?

Oh boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,438 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Surprided Sony haven't tried to use Spider-Man in the promotion of this to try and get some box office buzz.

To traverse the UNCHARTED pathways of your heart, to discover the Treasure within us all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think what's a real shame is that there is genuine potential for a good Uncharted movie but any desire for it will be killed by this. It seemed so easy too, it's amazing that they seem to have fucked it up so badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Went to see this tonight with somewhat low expectations after reading the reviews online but it was actually very entertaining. A solid 7/10.

There's nothing groundbreaking here and the story is a little ropey in parts but it doesn't take itself too seriously, it's entertaining, has a few laughs, looks good and has good chemistry between the leads, what more do you need from an action/adventure/comedy.

So if you are a fan of the games or never played them, and were thinking of seeing this but put off by the reviews I'd encourage you to give it a go. I'd love to see it do well and make a franchise out if it.

While it can be light hearted fare and be an ok action/adventure/comedy, the only important metric is; Is it a good Uncharted film?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Some fans of the game will probably be disappointed, I don't think Nate and Sully have similar personalities as their characters in the game, particularly Sully.

Saying that, it's still a very entertaining film, I hope it does well and they get to make a few more of these films where we might get more of the Nate/Sully dynamic from the game.

A lot on here seem to have made up their mind it's crap before even seeing it. A quick search on Twitter and people's responses are very positive from both fans of the game and the general public too which is good to see. So to the sceptics in here I would say give it a chance and it might surprise you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,957 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Letterbox reviews so far have it sitting bang in the middle, being rated neither crap nor stellar. Which seems about as good as most video game adaptations can ever achieve: middling'ness.

Though my own personal rankings of video game movies had a surprise bolter towards the top with Werewolves Within. I think its low budget and Lowe expectations meant the filmmakers had some space for creativity and flourish many sibling adaptations are rarely allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭santana75

Went to see this yesterday and I really enjoyed it. Checked out the reviews later and was surprised to see that they were almost universally bad. This is a fun film, perfect Sunday afternoon matinée stuff, can't understand why it's getting such a bad rap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Brought the kids to this yesterday. As above really, a decent little action movie. Kind of a Indiana Jones meets the Goonies vibe to it. I know nothing about the games but worth a watch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

And that's the important thing.

Personally I don't have an interest really. For me, the games were cinematic enough in their own right. And some things just cannot shift from one medium to another easily. Even if they seem to be easy enough. For example, the plane/net sequence. Great fun in the game. But looks silly in the trailer/extended sequence. There is a lot more tolerance for laws-of-physics mangling in a game than in live action. There is a chase sequence in the 4th game which is fantastic. Involving swinging through barriers, skiing on mud, driving over rooftops, hopping from trucks to jeeps etc. All the while shooting and killing as many people as possible :) Great fun in game. Would look like a total CGI-fest live-action that would totally take you out of the moment. The games are so OTT that, if they were to live up to the game then they would (And possible do) look silly. If they fo for a more grounded version then are they true Uncharted movies?

The Last of Us has a MUCH more "grounded" feel as a game (You are still going around killing people and zombies etc but not the OTT set-pieces that Uncharted games are famous for). So I have high-hopes for the TV series.

I say good luck to them and I hope they do decent business. As said, Videogame movies never are going to be nominated for best movie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Niska

Wasn't expecting much, but saw it last night and it was a lot of fun.

Not a great movie by any stretch, fairly predictable, but the set pieces do look good,

especially the flying ships and the cannon shot.

Plus nice cameo from Nolan North.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Went in with zero expectations but came out really enjoying it. Plot holes you could walk through like but got a few chuckles out of me and the main cast all bounce great off each other. It’s just dumb fun and nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Brought the youngest as she loves Tom Holland. Had never played the games and enjoyed it for what it was: a light-hearted Sunday afternoon adventure. I can see it being the same sort of staple of the free-to-air channels as Romancing the Stone or Matthew McConaughey's Fools Gold.

I guessed that the cameo from the guy who does the voice in the games was exactly that despite not knowing him or the game

• Registered Users Posts: 14,444 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Really enjoyed this (love the video game series)

Happy that this wasn’t a complete 1:1 with the video games however

Girlfriend who is not into video games and doesn’t know anything about Uncharted enjoyed it too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Interesting thoughts. Unexpected but glad, I must admit. As I said, not really that interested in the movie. I enjoy the games immensely but the idea os a Tom Holland version didn't float my boat (Pun intended). I have nothing against the actor. Think he's a fantastic Spiderman but would have preferred someone a bit older. Not sure who. I know when the idea of a movie was first floated about after Uncharted 2 everyone was on about Nathan Fillion (He was the ONLY choice really) but time moves on, Fillion is too old (Could have been Sully :D ) and Holland is the hottest thing at the moment. But hey, that's just me. I know it's doing middling money (And about to be crushed by The Batman) and reviews have been a bit sniffy (But not NEARLY as bad as most game adaptations). But I'm glad that the people who go to see it are having fun. That's what Uncharted is all about. OTT fun (With a MASSIVE bodycount in the games.)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,438 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That was terrible.

Yeah pretty bad.

Bland as fcuk.

• Advertisement

Look; I like Holland and think that his Parker is fantastic but it just does not work here. I mean Fillion is just too old but that is the kind of delivery they should have been going for

My wife, would not know a PS3 from a SNES, has no idea of the games and turned to me and actually said "Why is Nathan Fillion not playing this role?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭Homelander

I thought it was pretty fun. Incredibly dumb, but the decent energy between Wahlberg and Tom Holland makes up for it I think. I'd say it's a solid 6/10 movie - bit of harmless Sunday afternoon fare. I'd watch more.

It is but did not need the Uncharted name. Could have just been "Not Mapped" instead

Wholly unoriginal "Indiana Jones" meets "Da Vinci Code" mashup that didn't work well enough imoo and the really dumb helicopter / ancient shipwreck finale just capped it off really

Poor enough sequel set-up attempt post-credits also

There is a bit of a gap in the market "maybe" for this sort of film if it was done more successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Watched it there. Not the worst movie you will see but not the best movie you will see too. Is what it is.

Post edited by B.A._Baracus on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Fairly pish poor but I guess I am not the target audience. If I was a 13 yr old gamer I might find it better.

Just amazed how much these actors get paid for mostly CGI work and spitting out on liners rather than meaty dialog. Fair play to them I guess.

Post edited by magic_murph on

• Registered Users Posts: 85,625 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I just saw Peter Parker try to be a pirate explorer, hard to see Holland as anyone but Spiderman even though Holland and Wahlberg worked well

Was that Ruth Negga, if not her twin

I think it needed a older Drake

• Registered Users Posts: 28,889 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Do you mean Tati Gabrielle from The 100 and The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,444 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I still think looking back, that I really enjoyed this

I love the video game series - really enjoyed the movie. Very much a ‘just enjoy the fecking thing and don’t go in looking to moan’ type stuff

I do like Holland and Wahlberg too tho

• Advertisement
Advertisement