Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kippers

• 12-01-2019 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I sorely miss kippers but have never come across these delightful smoked herring anywhere in Ireland. Is it only an English thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

tesco stock them

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

As do SuperValue (vac-packed), & Lidl/Aldi too, I think. But try a local fishmongers first if you have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rusty the athlete

Tried most of these outlets in Tralee, but no luck. I guess Kerry folk are just not turned on by kippers. Ill check Dublin out on my next visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Can you not get them canned?

Can you not get them canned?
    No way man! They are not brined or usually stored in any liquid medium. I am pretty sure they would be completely spoiled with such treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Tried most of these outlets in Tralee, but no luck. I guess Kerry folk are just not turned on by kippers. Ill check Dublin out on my next visit.

Tesco have them online, talk to the shop manager next time you are in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

No way man! They are not brined or usually stored in any liquid medium. I am pretty sure they would be completely spoiled with such treatment.

Pretty sure I have seen John West ones in most places
    https://www.john-west.co.uk/kippers-in-brine/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Evel Knievel

Book yourself into Harveys Point for a little break away, and have them cooked fresh and served to you at your breakfast table.
    Best kippers I've ever tasted.

Book yourself into Harveys Point for a little break away, and have them cooked fresh and served to you at your breakfast table.
    Best kippers I've ever tasted.
    Sounds awesome, the temptation is too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Had them only recently ... tesco, vacuum packed in butter... Yummy!

vastly prefer smoked coley,

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

There was even a play written about kippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Tesco and SuperValu Ive seen them, haven't seen in Aldi or Lidl. Usually they have just smoked mackeral

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

*shrugs* I had some today. Was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I've bought kippers in Marks and Spencer before, there's one in Killarney I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Space Dog wrote: »
    I've bought kippers in Marks and Spencer before, there's one in Killarney I think?

Indeed yes and I have bought kippers in Tesco in Killarney

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Got some lovely ones in Wright's in Howth at Christmas. Any large supermarket or decent fishmonger should have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Search for a local smokehouse online. I know you can order them online from Union Hall.
    I wouldn't normally think of ordering food online but they must be the ideal perisheable food for postal deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eamonn8448

Dunnes NCR have them at the fish counter saw them today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

The tinned ones (in oil) aren't bad at all.

Tesco do them v.nice.

Supervalue Westport have them regularly - they are excellant though they do insist on calling them Smoked kippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Saw them in Nolan’s Clontarf last week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement