Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are those my feet?

• 03-11-2018 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭

So here goes, another DCM novice graduate :cool: setting up a log:

I'm male, mid-thirties with no sporting background since my school days. I'm blessed to be a father of two, and it was their arrival that finally motivated me to get up off the couch a few years ago. Running was my chosen activity, and after a couple of false downs, I finally stuck with it and I've now been running regularly since May 2017. Up until this summer, running regularly meant 2-3 times a week, with weekly totals being 10-12 miles. With the help of the DCM Novices thread I followed the Boards plan and completed DCM last weekend.

DCM 18 race report is here
    The short version is that I loved it, despite struggling for a few miles towards the end.

I've already signed up for DCM next year, with the aim of going sub 4. Before that though, over the next 6-8 months I'd like to concentrate on the shorter stuff. I've been reading last years grads thread, and I'm excited by what lies in store over the coming months.

I'm creating this log to chart my progress. I've made a lot of progress over the past 12 months, but it's hard to quantify from memory alone. Hopefully this log will help me track my next 12 months, and beyond.

PB's:
    5k | 23:18 | Feb '18
    10k | 48:29 | Mar '18
    10 mile | 1:23:17 | May '18
    HM | 1:54:00 | Oct '18
    Marathon | 4:13:21 | Oct '18

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Welcome to the world of logging. Another one for me to follow. Best of luck with the year ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Great to see another log start. Hope you have a great time getting more PBs over the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

PB's:
    HM | 1:54:00 | Oct '18

Yay - another log.

Hope you've a great 2019 watching these PBs tumble :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Best of luck with the new log, great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Great to see you in the logs A! Good luck with the new goals :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Welcome to the logs A! I will enjoy reading about what you do next :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Just spotted this now A, best of luck with it and the new goals! (Loving the log name btw! :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

Yay! Delighted to see you’ve started a log. Excited to keep up with this, we have a similar plan for the year ahead and similar times so will definitely be interested to see what happens! Sounds like you’ve a good way with words too, best of luck A.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Thanks for the warm welcome to this neck of the woods, much appreciated!

I didn't do much in the first week after DCM, save for a brisk 20 minute walk on the Thursday. Stepped things up marginally this past week.

Monday - Brisk 30 minute walk
    Tuesday - Brisk 30 minute walk
    Thursday - 2 miles @ 10.43 min/mile
    Sunday - 3 miles @ 11.15 min/mile

On the Thursday and Sunday runs I just ambled along at whatever felt like a very easy pace on the day. For comparison sake, my actual marathon pace was 9.36 min/mile. Both runs felt good, and it was great to get out again. The plan for the coming week is along similar lines, maybe 3 runs for a weekly total of 10-12 miles.

Current short term plans are another 2 weeks of handy stuff, maybe a few strides the second week, with a parkrun on the 24th November being my first serious effort after DCM. After that I'm planning on starting the grads base building plan the first week of December.

I think I've mentally recharged somewhat this week. Spent the first 10 days after DCM absolutely buzzing, and it felt like I was thinking about running 24/7. But in the latter part of this week I think I've managed to emerge from my running bubble now and again. I've also noticed that my appetite is still at pre-DCM levels. I would never have been a massive eater, but I'm certainly putting away the grub at the moment.

That's a perfect plan. Stick with it and you will reap the rewards long term. Well done.

• Advertisement

Another pretty quiet week for me as marathon recovery continues.

Tuesday - 2 miles very easy (11:01/mi). Had planned on 3 miles, but it got dark quickly and I made the call that 2 miles was enough. The joys of running on country roads.

Thursday - 4 miles very easy (10:46/mi). Went with a local running group. My OH and sister go regularly, but I only went a couple of times previously. It's a big group, with all kinds of paces, and I can see great camaraderie in the group, so I will hopefully go back more regularly. Stuck to my own pace on this occasion anyway, which was a bit of a no man's land between groups.

Friday - 2 x brisk 15 minute walks. Car was in for a service, so I walked from and to the garage. Felt a twinge in my left Achilles during the walk. Took that as a reminder to get back to the stretching and foam rolling. I also have a small ball I roll under my foot, so gave that a good workout Friday evening. No repeat of the Achilles pain since.

Saturday - 4 miles easy with 4 x 30s strides (10:09/mi). This run was penciled in for Sunday, but plans were made for a few pints on Saturday night and I didn't fancy a hungover run, so changed the run to Saturday. It felt good to run at a slightly faster pace, albeit briefly. The first stride was a shock to the system, as my legs didn't know what hit them. I was fine after that though. None of the strides were exactly textbook, but it's a start. Felt a soreness in the big toe of my right foot. Suspect it may be due to the running shoes, so I'll monitor for now.

The week ahead figures to be quiet on the running front. I work a shift pattern and this weeks schedule makes it tricky to squeeze in runs. I'll get in a few walks, and hopefully a couple of easy miles one or two days, before giving my local parkrun a lash on Saturday.

I've been thinking about cross-training recently. During marathon training I did a home power yoga DVD half-a-dozen times, so I will probably re-visit that. Swimming is the other activity that I've been considering. Running wise, I've been looking at races for 2019. My shift work makes to tricky to fit in some of the races I'd like, but I've some races from 5km-10mile earmarked before DCM training starts in July.

Post DCM: Week 4

Monday - Brisk 30 minute walk

Tuesday - 3 miles easy/moderate pace (10:10/mi)

Wednesday - Brisk 30 minute walk

Friday - 2.5 miles easy pace (10:21/mi)

Saturday - Clonmel Parkrun (24:08)
    After 27 days, this was my first real effort run since DCM, and also my first time running at anything close to 5k pace since an 8km race last May! I was a bit apprehensive about this beforehand, as 07:xx minute miles are kind of inconceivable when all you've ran for months is 10:xx and the odd 09:xx. Clonmel parkrun is 2-and-a-bit loops of the perimeter of a racecourse, with a looong uphill drag to be tackled twice. I took the first loop pretty conservatively, then gradually upped the effort as the run went on. Finished in 24:08, which is close enough to my 23:26 parkrun PB, so I was very happy.
    Splits were 8:38; 7:41; 7:26 and 5:59 for the last .07 of a mile. Avg pace 7:52/mi.

I really enjoyed racing this, and running fast. I'd forgotten how much fun it is. I was away with the OH for Saturday afternoon and night, and had booked a "deep tissue massage" where we were staying. I went with that one because I figured it would be good for my legs. Turns out it was a back massage! Didn't do me any harm anyway, felt nice and loose afterwards.

I'll maintain the easy paces this week, while adding in an additional run in preparation for the start of base building next week. On the cusp of 1,000 miles for the year too!

Time to catch up on the past fortnight:
    Monday 26th November: 3 miles easy (10.34/mi)
    Tuesday 27th November: 4 miles easy (10.20/mi)
    Thursday 29th November: 3 miles easy (10.20/mi)

Those runs were at nominal easy paces, I was just going by feel really. On the Friday I worked out my training paces for the base building plan, which put the above paces in the easy/moderate bracket. To work out my paces I used the recent parkrun, and also the half marathon I ran during DCM training. Both race times gave me training paces within a few seconds of each other, so I'm happy enough to roll with those for the moment. The paces are probably a touch on the conservative side, given that the parkrun was on a hiily course, and not a 100% flat out effort, but I figure it's no harm to use those paces for a couple of weeks. I've a 4 mile race on Stephens' Day, so I'll recalculate the training paces following that. Anyway, back to the runs:

Saturday 1st December: 4 miles easy (11:18/mi)
    Monday 3rd December: Base Building Day 1, 45 mins very easy (11:58/mi)

When I saw the easy and very easy paces that the calculator threw out, I thought they looked so slow, and they were. Took a bit of getting used to, but felt fine after 10 minutes, and I managed to hold myself at the prescribed pace for the remainder of both runs. Unfortunately, I came down with a cold on Tuesday and that put paid to my running for the remainder of the week. I'm recovered now, and plan to get out this evening for a very easy 45 minutes. My work schedule will make regular running a challenge over the next few weeks, but I hope to squeeze in enough to keep the base building plan on track.

In better news, I passed the 1,000 mile for 2018 last weekend, so I figure it's a good time to introduce a monthly mileage table to the log.
    I've gone back as far as my Garmin records allowed, which neatly brought me to January '16:

Month|2016|2017|2018
    January|21|5|51
    February|19||51
    March|27||62
    April|3||55
    May|1|18|74
    June|2|38|96
    July||33|129
    August||49|137
    September|1|25|179
    October|4|42|136
    November|6|40|34
    December||51|
    Total (mi)|83|301|

Following a rest to see off a cold last week, I re-started the Base Building plan this week.

Sat 8th Dec - 45 mins very easy: 3.7 miles @ 11:58/mi

Sun 9th Dec - 60 mins progression run (easy to MP), plus cooldown: 7.1 miles @ 10:31/mi average pace

This was my first attempt at a progression run, and also my first attempt at using my watch to set-up a session. Unfortunately, I setup the second step as 15 miles duration, rather than 15 minutes. From there, it's a long story, but I ended up running the correct paces, but more from memory than the watch. Also, got stopped for directions by a motorist during the MP bit, which was annoying. I didn't enjoy this one as much as I would otherwise have, just because I spent so much time having to remember paces.

Mon 10th Dec - 45 mins very easy: 3.8 miles @ 12:01/mi

Tues 11th Dec -

Weds 12th Dec - 40 mins easy + 10x100m strides + cooldown: 7.4 miles @ 10:50/mi average pace

I really enjoyed this one. Felt it a bit in the legs afterwards, but nothing too out of the ordinary.

Thu 13th Dec - 90 mins easy 45 mins easy: 3.9 miles @ 11:19/mi
    This was supposed to be a 90 minute easy run, and that was my intention setting out, but I just felt awful after about 2 miles of this one. I've come to the conclusion that I went out with too many layers on and just overheated. I debated for a good mile whether or not I'd keep going, but in the end decided to finish off a smaller loop than planned. Actually felt better over the closing mile or so, once the decision had been made to cut the run short.

Fri 14th Dec - 45 mins very easy: 3.7 miles @ 11:55/mi
    I'm working all day Saturday, and with the weather forecast to be terrible, I decided to kick off week 2 of the base building plan yesterday instead. It was a nice rain soaked run, and I showed no further ill-effects of the previous days' aborted run. I'm getting pretty good at running slow.

In other news for the week - I've finally made the move to porridge, and surprisingly enough I'm liking it so far!
    Plan for this week is just to keep on with week 2 of the Base Building plan. I'm enjoying following a plan again.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

This was my first attempt at a progression run, and also my first attempt at using my watch to set-up a session. Unfortunately, I setup the second step as 15 miles duration, rather than 15 minutes. From there, it's a long story, but I ended up running the correct paces, but more from memory than the watch. Also, got stopped for directions by a motorist during the MP bit, which was annoying. I didn't enjoy this one as much as I would otherwise have, just because I spent so much time having to remember paces.

I'm forever setting runs up skewways. If it happens again, you can hit the lap button on your watch and it will skip to the next segment.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I'm forever setting runs up skewways. If it happens again, you can hit the lap button on your watch and it will skip to the next segment.

Thanks. I figured out that about the lap button alright, but I discovered it 9 minutes into the planned 15 minute segment, and of course I still wanted to complete the planned 15 minutes. This meant that I spent the last 6 minutes of each segment running different paces to what the watch was telling me too. Just too much mental space wasted on working out paces, but at least I learned a bit about the watch. :cool:

It's great to hear you're enjoying the plan. Nice week there!

Sat 15th Dec -

Sun 16th Dec - 45 mins moderate (+ warm-up and cooldown): 6.5 miles @ 10:32/mi average pace
    I was looking forward to this one, but it turned into a bit of a struggle. It was done at the end of a long day at work, and I think I wore a layer too many again.

Mon 17th Dec - 45 mins very easy: 3.8 miles @ 11:50/mi
    Slightly faster than my usual very easy pace, but still within the prescribed range. I just settled into this pace and locked in at it. I'm surprised how easy I'm finding it to run slow.

Tues 18th Dec -

Weds 19th Dec - 40 mins easy + 5 mins threshold + cooldown: 5.8 miles @ 10:52/mi average pace
    The threshold bit was nice. I always look forward to these type of sessions where a bit of speed and variety is injected into things.

Thu 20th Dec - 90 mins easy: 7.9 miles @ 11:19/mi
    Longest Run since DCM!

Fri 21st Dec -

Sat 22nd Dec -

A bit of a scaled down report this week. I just tipped along at the base building plan with no major dramas. I'll be taking a mini pause on the plan now for a week or so, due to Christmas festivities and also a 4 mile race on the 26th. Couple of scoops scheduled for tonight, so hopefully I'll be in shape to get in a run tomorrow. I've seen Huzzah! and ReeReeG try a workout as a sharpener before a race (6x1min @ VO2 max, 2 min recoveries), so I'll give that a whirl tomorrow hopefully.

Then it's the 4 miler on Stephen's Day. Not sure what to expect there to be honest. I think it's a flat enough course, but it's been so long since I've raced short distances properly that I've no idea what I'm capable of. Sub 32 mins should be well doable, sub 31 probably a realistic target, and sub 30 a tad out of reach just yet. I'll know more after this one I guess, and have new training paces to work off hopefully. Post race I'll try a few recovery miles the day after, then back into week 3 of base building next weekend, all going well.

Sun 23rd Dec: 6 x 1 min @ VO2 max, with 2 min recoveries. 48 mins, 4.42 miles @ 10.52/mi avg.
    As I mentioned last week, this session was used as a tune-up of sorts for the forthcoming 4 mile race. Target VO2 max pace was 7:30 - 7:22. None of the reps fell within that range, but most were close enough; 7:31, 7:14, 7:33, 7:14, 7:51, 7:33. Really enjoyed this one, felt good to stretch the legs, although I did wonder how I was going to manage to hold a 7:30 pace for 4 miles.

Mon 24th Dec:

Tue 25th Dec:

Wed 26th Dec: Clonmel AC Stephen's Day 4 miler. Official time: 29:13
    Got into Clonmel about 45 minutes before the start. Knocked out a few stretches and got in a bit of light jogging to warm up. Lots of people were commenting on the decent weather, as apparently previous years had been hampered by poor weather. This was my first attempt at a 4 miler, and also my first attempt at a short race since last May. I had a plan to go 8:00 and 7:40 for the first two miles, then depending how I felt either keep at 7:40 for a 31:00 finish, or pick it up if I could and try sneak a sub 30. But all that went out the window as I tore out the gate at a 7:10 pace. The pace felt manageable, but I did worry that I'd pay for it over the closing stages so I tried to hold the pace in check a touch. Felt my shin aching around the mile mark, but that wore off pretty swiftly. I maintained a good pace to halfway but as we turned for home, the breeze was now into our faces. I tried to reign myself in slightly over the third mile, to leave something for a finishing burst. By the time the final mile came around it was just a matter of grinding away and maintaining the pace. Crossed the line very happy that I'd smashed my sub 30 dream target. Mile paces were 7:12, 7:24, 7:24, 7:17. This was a nice course, net downhill and a great turnout of over 500 runners. I'll have another pop at this distance in April or May in another local race. That'll be a hillier course, but I've a time to aim at now.

Thu 27th Dec: 20 mins recovery at 11:46/mi = 1.78 miles.
    This was my first spin on the latest addition to my running equipment - a treadmill. I was pretty stiff following the previous days exertions and this helped loosen me out a good deal. I did learn a lot about treadmill running as a result of this initial foray. Basic stuff like open a window, and don't hold onto the bars, as well as paces. As I live in the unlit countryside, the treadmill should be useful from time to time.

Fri 28th Dec:

Sat 29th Dec:
    I had penciled in a 60 mins very easy for this day, but I was still feeling it a bit in the legs following the 4 miler, so decided an extra days rest would serve me better.

Sun 30th Dec: 60 mins very easy. 5.22mi @ 11:30/mi.
    Back into the base building plan at week 3. I was feeling much better now, and glad I took the extra days rest. My new very easy pace is 10:35 - 11:21, almost a minute faster than previously. This run was slower than that, possibly due to a hillier route than I've used recently, an adjustment to the new paces, and still a bit of the 4 miler in the legs.

So, low enough mileage over the Christmas break so far, but some good stuff in there I reckon. The next target is a local 5km on 20th January, followed by the Dungarvan 10 miler on February 3rd. That will mark the end of the base building plan, which I'll follow up with the 5k/10k grads plan. I'm hoping to get in a race every 4 weeks or so over the first 6/7 months of 2019, mainly in the 5k/10k range once the Dungarvan 10 miler is done.

Updated PB's table:
    4 mile | 29:13 | Dec '18
    HM | 1:54:00 | Aug '18

Fantastic, well done!! Great to blow the target completely out of the water - a nice late Christmas present :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great progress made this year, I really wish you joined me on the 4.10 train at DCM, but I’d say you do to at this stage. Keep it going into 2019.

eyrie wrote: »
    Fantastic, well done!! Great to blow the target completely out of the water - a nice late Christmas present :D

Thanks C, I was really happy with it. It was nice to be back in a race situation again too, they are a great buzz.
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Great progress made this year, I really wish you joined me on the 4.10 train at DCM, but I’d say you do to at this stage. Keep it going into 2019.

Thanks for taking an interest, I really appreciate it. Yeah, I'm sure I would have fared better on the day if I had joined your DCM train, but the way things worked out I learned a lot about myself, setting targets, pacing and listening to advise :pac:, so it was a valuable experience from that perspective.

Well done A, great racing!!

Fantastic racing - really well paced and congrats on exceeding your expectations. I knew your paces were too easy and that it wouldn't be long before you'd new paces to train with :)

Wow - fantastic race. That was brilliant. Best of luck for 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Just wanted to add my congrats on the race A though I'm not a bit surprised. I knew you were fast! Well done, its very much deserved.

Great to see your progress and attitude to both training and racing. The consistency will pay big dividends in the long term. Keep her lit.

Brilliant way to round out the year with that race!

Thanks very much to everyone for all the positive comments recently, they are really appreciated and it really does give me a boost to see people taking an interest in my progress. Thanks again!! Anyway, back to the running:

Mon 31st Dec: 60 mins progression run, 7.51 mi @ 9:59/mi avg pace.
    I broke this into 4 x 15 minute blocks from easy to MP. I used planned MP (9:09) as if had I used actual MP (9:36) there would have been very little scope for progression. Enjoyed this run, and kept paces in correct ranges throughout.

Tue 1st Jan 60 mins very easy, 5.42 mi @ 11:04/mi
    This was an early morning run by my standards (09:00) and I really enjoyed. Roads were quiet with the day that was in it, and this was just a lovely run. I hope to get in some more early morning runs when possible as I really enjoyed this one. Paces spot on.

Wed 2nd Jan:

Thu 3rd Jan:
    50 min mix (9 easy, 1 hard), 7.8mi @ 10:14/mi avg.
    Now this was fun. Speeds for the hard segments were 7:16; 6:41; 6:48; 6:12; 6:48. Those paces come in between Aerobic power and Anaerobic endurance when referenced against my current training paces. Effort felt right and I felt suitably recovered for the next rep each time. However, I did feel it in the legs for the next days long run.....

Fri 4th Jan: 1 hour 45 mins easy, 9.76 mi @ 10:45/mi.
    This was a slog. Paces came out in the very easy range as opposed to easy as per plan. But that was all I could muster. I figure a few factors contributed to this being a tough one:
    1 - The previous days efforts.
    2 - I chose what was a hilly enough route. Rookie mistake.
    3 - This was my longest run since DCM.
    4 - This was my first week training with new paces, so I would have been covering more ground all week anyway, so an accumulative fatigue worked against me.

Felt like pulling the plug on this run a few times during it, and maybe I should have, but I persevered and got it done. 3 weeks of the base building plan down.

Sat 5th Jan:

Sun 6th Jan: 60 mins very easy, 5.52 mi @ 10:52/mi
    This was my first opportunity to run on grass in quite a while, so I took advantage. A pretty boring run, but legs felt reasonably fresh.

So this week brought an end to 2018, meaning it's time to update my mileage table. Very pleased to pass the 1,000 mile barrier for the year. 1,500 seems like a reasonable goal for 2019, but we'll see how it goes.

Month|2016|2017|2018
    January|21|5|51
    February|19||51
    March|27||62
    April|3||55
    May|1|18|74
    June|2|38|96
    July||33|129
    August||49|137
    September|1|25|179
    October|4|42|131
    November|6|40|34
    December||51|84
    Total (mi)|83|301|1083

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

That was a brilliant race performance on St. Stephen's too, congratulations. Great progression over the last 3 years and a lot more to come this year too no doubt about it! You're one to watch ;)

Well done for sticking with the long run when it got tough.

Another decent week this week. A bit of a start/stop beginning to the week due to fitting runs in around work, but that suited anyway as I was conscious of watching the legs following a bit of a struggle during last week's LR.

Mon 7th Jan: Brisk 30 mins walk

Tue 8th Jan: 55 mins moderate, 7.90 mi @ 9:31/mi avg pace.
    I added 10 mins warm-up and cool-down onto this. My moderate pace is 9:14 - 8:58 and the splits came in as 9:19, 9:10, 9:00, 9:00, 8:59, 8:59 and 8:50, so bang on really. My PMP miles in DCM training were in and around this pace, so it felt familiar, and really good. I loved this run. It was a great buzz pumping out the miles at a steady pace, but not feeling under too much pressure.

Wed 9th Jan:

Thu 10th Jan:
    60 mins very easy, 5.5mi at 10:55/mi
    Don't remember anything about this run. I can pump out 60 mins very easy on auto-pilot at this stage.

Fri 11th Jan: 45 mins easy, 5 mins threshold, 6.37mi @ 10:12 avg pace.
    My threshold range is 7:51-7:40, but my split for that segment came in at 7:57, so pretty close but not quite there. I think I may need to pick the pace up during the last 30s or so of the easy bit, so that I'm up nearer threshold pace when that 5 mins starts. Anyway, felt good during this.

Sat 12th Jan: 1 hour 45 mins easy, 10.14 miles @ 10:22/mi.
    Went to a local wood with the family for a picnic and ran home. The route was net downhill and this was a vast improvement on last weeks LR struggles. My upper back did feel tight over the closing mile or two which I'm taking as a reminder to return to a decent level of stretching, which has slackened somewhat.

Sun 13th Jan: A few pints Saturday night led to a quiet Sunday. No running was planned anyway.

Mon 14th Jan: 60 mins very easy, 5.4 mi @ 10:56/mi.
    A nice enjoyable run to kick off Week 5 of the base building plan. The weather has been so mild lately, ideal for running.

I had planned on doing a local 5km race this Sunday, but I'm reconsidering now. My main target in the short-term is the Dungarvan 10 miler on Feb 3rd, so if I skip the 5km I'll be finishing out the base plan, then have a week to mini-taper into the 10 miler. If I do the 5km then I'll miss some of the base plan runs, and it also works out trickier fitting in runs around work. Leaning towards skipping the 5k at the moment anyway.

I love those moderate runs, it's such a nice level to be working at - enough to add a bit of interest, but never feels hard!

A bit late with the update this week.

Tue 15th Jan
    70 mins progression run (easy to MP)
    Including cooldown I covered 8.49 miles at an even 10 mins/mile average in 1 hour 25 mins.
    I was working a block of night shifts this week, and I'm blaming the changing sleep pattern for my lack of focus during this. Paces weren't great and I found myself losing concentration a lot and slowing down as a result. Divided the 70 minutes into four 17.5 minute chunks.

Paces for each section were:
    1 - 10:14, 10:15 - range was 10:32-10:10
    2 - 10:15, 9:56 - range was 10:08-9:46 (the first split here was during a long drag)
    3 - 9:34, 9:35 - range was 9:44-9:22
    4 - 9:13, 9:17 - range was 9:20-8:58

Average paces look ok there, but it was a lot more inconsistent than that in reality.

Wed 16th Jan
    Rest

Thu 17th Jan
    40 mins very easy; 3.50 miles @ 11:26/mi
    This was my second go on the treadmill. Supposed to be 60 minutes, but I could only squeeze in 40. I'm not finding the treadmill much fun so far, and even very easy pace feels like a lot more work compared with on the road.
    That said I wouldn't have got in any running without the treadmill, so it is coming in handy.

Fri 18th Jan
    50 mins easy, plus 4 x 200m @ 5k effort.
    Including cooldown I racked up 7.62 miles in 79 minutes.
    The paces for the 5k effort were 7:48, 6:20, 7:50 and 7:31. I was aiming for 7:22 - 7:02, although I was more interested in maintaining form (whatever that means!) and controlling the effort.
    First split was too short as I heard the watch beep and thought I'd covered the 200m, I hadn't. Turns out 200m is longer than I'd thought.
    Second split was way too fast, but third and fourth felt about right, although they recorded as slower than intended. I enjoyed this one.

Sat 19th Jan
    2 hours easy. 11.91 miles covered at 10:20 mins/mile average pace.
    This was ok. A bit of a slog towards the end as the legs got tired, but grand overall.

Sun 20th Jan
    Rest

So that's 5 weeks of the base building plan in the bank. I had toyed with the idea of a local 5km race on the Sunday, but in the end I just stuck with the plan. On the final week of the plan now, and then I'll have a bit of a taper before the Dungarvan 10 miler on Sunday week.

Mr. Guappa wrote:
    Turns out 200m is longer than I'd thought./quote]

I've suffered this realisation myself a few times!
    Well done!

• Advertisement

This update is a tale of two halves, first the good:

Mon 21st Jan
    60 mins very easy: 5.44 miles @ 11:02/mi

Tue 22nd Jan
    Rest

Weds 23rd Jan
    65 mins moderate. Moderate range is 8:58-9:14, and my splits were 9:23, 9:13, 9:05, 9:12, 9:11, 9:09 and 9:17.
    Added 10 mins each of warm up and cooldown to take me up to 8.9 miles for the session.

Thurs 24th Jan
    Rest

Fri 25th Jan
    60 mins very easy: 5.43 miles at 11:03/mi.

Sat 26th Jan
    45 mins easy, 5 mins temp, 20 mins c/d.
    I covered 6.68 miles at 10:30/mi avg. pace, and the tempo was bang in range at 8:11/mi.

Sun 27th Jan
    90 mins easy: 8.72 miles @ 10:21/mi.
    The plan called for a 2 hour run, but with an eye on the Dungarvan 10 miler this weekend, I decided to knock 30 minutes off that.

So that was a nice 35 mile week which brought an end to the base building plan. I really enjoyed the plan and felt in a good place after it. The plan for this week was to follow the final week of the 10k/half grads plan ahead of the race on Sunday.

But on Monday evening I hurt my ankle. I think I overdid it on a few stretches and just slightly tweaked something. It was still not right on Tuesday, so I kept weight off and rested it as best I could. There was also a lot of ill-advised googling of potential injuries. Luckily by Wednesday it was much better, and better again by Thursday. I've taken a cautious approach and not chanced running on it yet, although it feels fine. I also cracked my head off the garden shed this week which was ultra painful, and both kids have been sick, so a hectic week! I'm planning on getting in maybe 45 mins easy tomorrow to test it out the ankle, and all going well there it'll be onto Dungarvan.

I completed this race in 1:23:27 last year, so I'm hoping to go under 1:20 this year. The runfastcoach calculator puts me at 1:17:26 based on my recent 4 miler, but that seems a bit optimistic. I figure I'll go out at 1:20:00 pace (8:00/mile) and take it from there at halfway.

Janey. Mind yourself. Good luck on Sunday!

Good luck. Have to say, you do a great job keeping easy "easy". Hope you feel strong on Sunday!

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Janey. Mind yourself. Good luck on Sunday!
    Thanks!
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Good luck. Have to say, you do a great job keeping easy "easy". Hope you feel strong on Sunday!
    Thanks. I think running in the quiet countryside helps me keep it easy. I can just amble along at a constant pace, but I do find anytime my route takes me through the local town that I quicken up a touch. I think there's more distractions in town which take my concentration and pace slides up as a result.

Mini update from today's run:
    45 mins very easy, with 4 strides thrown in the middle. 4.28 miles at a 10:32 average pace.
    Most importantly the ankle felt fine. Legs felt pretty dead though, I'm not sure if that was as a result of the mini layoff or what, but hopefully I'll have a bit more pep in my step come Sunday!

Seen as January is in the rear view mirror I'll update my mileage table. Very happy with how the month went overall.

Month|2016|2017|2018|2019
    January|21|5|51|131
    February|19||51
    March|27||62
    April|3||55
    May|1|18|74
    June|2|38|96
    July||33|129
    August||49|137
    September|1|25|179
    October|4|42|131
    November|6|40|34
    December||51|84
    Total (mi)|83|301|1083

Best of luck on Sunday :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Best of luck tomorrow. You're doing great training. Think about going out slightly ahead of the 80 Pacers, be well able.

Best of luck tomorrow, trust the training. Run well!!!

Race Report: John Tracey Dungarvan 10 miler

As mentioned previously I was targeting sub 80 mins here. I felt like this should be achievable, but there was a lingering doubt in the back of my mind about holding an 8:00 pace for 10 miles. I'd forgotten there was pacers for this, so when tbukela mentioned this my plan was set. I'd tuck in with the 80 min pacers for the first 5 miles, then hopefully pick up the pace a touch from there on in.

I got to Dungarvan in plenty of time, so strolled down to the race HQ and then completed a 15 min warm up at very easy pace. As the start time approached I took up a position just a bit behind the 80 pacers, and we were off right on time. By the time I got through the start line the pacers were already a nice bit ahead, but I just knew all I needed was to maintain that distance for the first 5 miles, and hopefully reel them in after 6 or 7 miles. The first half mile was very bunched and I tried my best not to zigzag and let the gaps come to me. Once we made it out onto the Youghal road things opened up and I settled into a nice rhythm. I remember being surprised when we passed the 2 mile marker. Went through the first two miles in 8:06; 8:03.

It was back onto narrower country roads for mile 3, which had a nice downhill section where i made up some ground on the pacers. I was around a Watergrasshill AC athlete for most of the middle section of the race. I'd pass him, then half a mile later he'd be in front of me again. There was the odd bit of breeze through some of these sections, so I tried to tuck in behind someone when possible, although I'm pretty tall so not sure how effective that was. I just maintained the 8:00 pace through miles 4 and 5, keeping the pacers in sight all the while. Took on a gel as I passed through the water station at mile 5. I still felt strong at this point, although the effort had increased since mile 2. I went through these miles in 7:49; 8:00: 8:02.

Entering the sixth mile I knew I was right on plan through halfway and now was the time to pick things up. Upped the pace a touch and just maintained it as best I could. I didn't want to go too mad just yet, as I knew there was a nice pull ahead after 8 miles, so i was happy to tip away at a 7:45 type pace for these few miles. Mile 7 featured a lovely downhill section, where I could have went a bit faster maybe, but it's one of those that is nearly too steep. Passed the first of the 80 pacers on this section. Mile 8 flattened out and I found it tough enough going for a while along here. Anytime doubts crept in I just tried to lift my head and concentrate on keeping a good form, and it seemed to do the trick. Went through those miles in 7:51; 7:46; 7:45.

Mile 9 brought us back onto the Youghal road and a good surface. Although this is a very tough long drag I had fond memories of it from last year as I was strong going up there and this year was a similar story. I gritted the teeth and just stormed up the hill, passing lots of people. I felt super strong for this mile. Into the last mile and I took a semi breather for the first third after the effort I had put into getting up the hill. I was still motoring nicely though, and picked up the pace for the final stretch. I kept thinking the finish was closer than it was, but another corner kept appearing. Kept the boot down anyway and got there in the end. Last 2 miles were 7:39 and 7:15.

Official time and watch time were 1:18:22. That's a 5 minute improvement on last year, which I'm very satisfied with. It's nice to see some progress. Of course my three year old wasn't overly impressed with a 5 minute improvement, as he innocently suggested that maybe I'll win the next race. Back down to earth pretty swiftly then!

Wow - you really flew it it the end! Brilliant racing. Very well done.

Looking forward to you winning it next year now :D No pressure!

Lovely, controlled running and a cracking PB to boot. Congrats!

Great stuff, serious chunk off from last year!

Well done, that’s a nice chunk to take off your PB, great stuff!!! I sympathise with you on the unimpressed kids front, get the same off our two.

It was a pleasure to read your race report A. Well done! You're flying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭yido1882

Well done A, that's a big PB.

I think you'll have plenty more PB's this year with the way you're going

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Great report and a really well paced race. Congrats on a great PB.

• Advertisement
Advertisement