Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should cycling two abreast be allowed?

Options
  • 13-01-2019 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭

Should out of competition cycling, two abreast, be allowed on public roads?

Should cycling two abreast be allowed? 646 votes

Yes
    67% 433 votes
    No
    14% 96 votes
    Not sure
    18% 117 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Hoboo

GRENADE !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Hoboo wrote: »
    GRENADE !!!

I know, why did I bother responding? :pac:

Yes, it allows for safer overtaking of cyclists.

Is that because in theory it will make the pack shorter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Garda say cycling two abreast should only occur when safe to do so and in some locations it should not be done at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Is that because in theory it will make the pack shorter?

I think it's because when there is on coming traffic cars will not take the risk to squeeze past. I think if two lads are out for a cycle, there's no car coming and passing them would be safe except that they are two abreast they should try and go single.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Already regretting responding to this thread. I’m out! :) I do NOT have the energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Seems like you've little enough to be worrying you. I literally can't remember the last time I met a pair of cyclists riding abreast. I'm fairly sure that I had overtaken them seconds later though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

As we all know us cyclists are vermin and we should be exterminated with extreme prejudice. That’s what I learnt from the last 74 threads on this topic anyway, feel free to correct me.

I’m just skipping a few pages in the debate here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Wombatman wrote: »
    Garda say cycling two abreast should only occur when safe to do so and in some locations it should not be done at all.

Which Garda? Sounds like they need to read the road traffic act.

It's perfectly safe. I'm held up more often by slow moving cars than I'm ever held up by slow moving bicycles . Most people are, yet they don't get in a flap about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It should be mandatory for groups, it takes far too long to overtake if they are single file.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    It should be mandatory for groups, it takes far too long to overtake if they are single file.

Try passing 60+ on a country road, 2 abreast, in one long line, it's 120m to get from back to front. No problem with 2 abreast, although the one at the back should be calling file if there's a backup of cars, it's the bunching that makes it dangerous, split packs up and give cars a chance to get by two smaller groups. The local clubs when training do this, it's the casual Garmin sponsored ones that act dangerously, certainly in my neck of the woods.

Try passing 60+ on a country road, 2 abreast, in one long line, it's 120m to get from back to front. No problem with 2 abreast, although the one at the back should be calling file if there's a backup of cars, it's the bunching that makes it dangerous, split packs up and give cars a chance to get by two smaller groups. The local clubs when training do this, it's the casual Garmin sponsored ones that act dangerously, certainly in my neck of the woods.

Surely this would be in competition though. Why form these obstructive big groups at all if not in competition?

Surely this would be in competition though. Why form these obstructive big groups at all if not in competition?

Any of the clubs I know of will split up into smaller groups based on ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,933 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Some people get out cycling as a social thing.
    Hard to be social if you can't talk to other cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I'm sorry but the title reminds of that old primary school drawing of two men holding one between them.

I'll get my coat ...

flazio wrote: »

Using headsets probably much safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

flazio wrote: »

They should go to a coffee shop if they want to talk.

Using headsets probably much safer.

Since two abreast is already safer in most cases I don't think headsets are needed just for the short periods on narrow lanes.

They should go to a coffee shop if they want to talk.

What wrong with talking while cycling?
    In groups you will already have someone beside you as that is the safest position to take. Might as well talk to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Yes, makes it easier to take out 2 cyclists at once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

So what do you propose instead?

Should the cyclists cycle in single file so they can be easily overtaken on a narrow country road DESPITE oncoming traffic? And who cares if the cyclist ends in a ditch as a result, right?

Is that the outcome expected?

Was there a one-horse sulky on the road (instead of two-abreast cyclists) would it be safe to overtake?
    If not - then you should wait and proceed at the pace of a vehicle in front of you until it is safe to overtake.

I'm amazed by the amount of people that can overtake a tractor or even a combine harvester no problem but 4 cyclist cycling 2 abreast is too challenging for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It’s been a while since there’s been a person on bikes bashing thread. Well done op. You managed to reinvent the wheel.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

To be clear, cycling 3 abreast is allowed when the cyclist on the outside is overtaking two on the inside

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You managed to reinvent the wheel.

Which one? Front? Back? Steering? Or maybe you think it will turn into a wheely good thread?

Ignorance. Its not the local clubs guys, they're out with cars and going hell for leather. These guys are stopping for cake on a Sunday morning, only day they're out.

Absolutely no way should it be allowed, causing needless hold ups for cars and other vehicles where you could get past one easily but two abreast makes it too tight to get past with oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I really enjoy being on the back roads and cyclists never ****ing giving way even past large driveway entrances, with a trail of cars behind them.

Stuck up jerks...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Should out of competition cycling, two abreast, be allowed on public roads?

Yes as it’s safer.

Should single occupant cars be allowed during rush hours ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Beasty wrote: »
    Which one? Front? Back? Steering? Or maybe you think it will turn into a wheely good thread?

Steering wheel. It looks like it's been replaced with a one directional device. The only way the thread will go now is down.

Advertisement