Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Runireland.com Awards 2018

Options
  • 09-01-2019 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭

Saw runireland posted the results of their public vote today. I must say I was surprised by some of these especially given the quality of some of the races nominated in each category.
    I haven't run most of these but is it a case of the races targeting the general masses scooping the popular vote?
    I can't say I've heard great things about darkness into Light and is the best 10k in the country really the mini marathon?

Best 5k: Darkness into Light
    Best 5 Mile/8k: Clontarf 5 Mile
    Best 10k: Womens Mini Marathon
    Best 10 Mile: Irish Runner 10 Mile
    Best Half Marathon: Achill Half Marathon
    Best Full Marathon: Dublin Marathon
    Best Ultra Marathon: Connemara 100
    Best Triathlon/Duathlon: Ironman 70.3 Dun Laoghaire
    Best OCR Event: Hell and Back
    Most Scenic Route: Achill Marathon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Saw runireland posted the results of their public vote today. I must say I was surprised by some of these especially given the quality of some of the races nominated in each category.
    I haven't run most of these but is it a case of the races targeting the general masses scooping the popular vote?
    I can't say I've heard great things about darkness into Light and is the best 10k in the country really the mini marathon?

Best 5k: Darkness into Light
    Best 5 Mile/8k: Clontarf 5 Mile
    Best 10k: Womens Mini Marathon
    Best 10 Mile: Irish Runner 10 Mile
    Best Half Marathon: Achill Half Marathon
    Best Full Marathon: Dublin Marathon
    Best Ultra Marathon: Connemara 100
    Best Triathlon/Duathlon: Ironman 70.3 Dun Laoghaire
    Best OCR Event: Hell and Back
    Most Scenic Route: Achill Marathon

The Clontarf 5 is a bit of an eyebrow-raiser alright.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Races that appeal to the general runireland user. Haven't browsed through that site properly in years, was always the go to place for a race calendar.
    Ironman Dun Laoghaire winning the triathlon category says a lot...way better races out there than a 300 euro half Ironman.
    Connemara 100 winning best ultra marathon? Really? 28 finishers in 2018, how many people voted for that over other nominated races?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Not going to start naming races but some of those winners are a complete joke!! Would have liked to see the race options for each category. Like RQ I haven’t visited the site in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Running in Ireland blog will be announcing their race of the year awards soon. I'd expect the race winners on thst site would be "better" races.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

OOnegative wrote: »
    Not going to start naming races but some of those winners are a complete joke!! Would have liked to see the race options for each category. Like RQ I haven’t visited the site in years.

I had a quick look to see if I could find the list of nominees but can't seem to. But there was plenty of quality in there for example I voted Adare as best 10k, Charleville as best HM etc. And I recall there being quality nominees in each category and some which made me seriously raise an eyebrow.

• Advertisement

I had a quick look to see if I could find the list of nominees but can't seem to. But there was plenty of quality in there for example I voted Adare as best 10k, Charleville as best HM etc. And I recall there being quality nominees in each category and some which made me seriously raise an eyebrow.

The 5k winner for example, done in aid of a fantastic charity, but is it a 5k race? It’s a walk more than a race is it not?

OOnegative wrote:
    The 5k winner for example, done in aid of a fantastic charity, but is it a 5k race? It’s a walk more than a race is it not?

And a crowded one at that. I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly but I'm sure some Boardsies did it and reported nothing but bad things.

And a crowded one at that. I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly but I'm sure some Boardsies did it and reported nothing but bad things.

I think that was Run in the Dark rather than Darkness into Light?

OOnegative wrote:
    I think that was Run in the Dark rather than Darkness into Light?

Haha now that you mention it... I think you're right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Duanington

Haha now that you mention it... I think you're right

I can confirm - I think I was principal moaner on that one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Running in Ireland blog will be announcing their race of the year awards soon. I'd expect the race winners on thst site would be "better" races.

Not really. I'd expect the winners to be the races that mobilise their votes best on social media.

I've seen a fair few races looking for people to vote for them, that won't make them better races. The best races I've run are small club races around the country but will never win awards like this.

The categories for that one were a bit strange as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

adrian522 wrote: »
    Not really. I'd expect the winners to be the races that mobilise their votes best on social media.

I've seen a fair few races looking for people to vote for them, that won't make them better races. The best races I've run are small club races around the country but will never win awards like this.

The categories for that one were a bit strange as well.
    Maybe so. I checked back at a few of their nominations over the past few years I see good big races from like Raheny 5 mile, Ballycotton 10 mile, Athlone Flatline Half, Donadea 50k popping up but the winners seem to be the big money races in the majority of cases. You're right about the small club races been the best ones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Connemara 100 winning best ultra marathon? Really? 28 finishers in 2018, how many people voted for that over other nominated races?

:rolleyes: yeah... but the run Ireland creator doesn't need to practice the award speech to the Con 100 RD in a mirror... that would be the actual ceremony. Handy, eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Enduro wrote: »
    :rolleyes: yeah... but the run Ireland creator doesn't need to practice the award speech to the Con 100 RD in a mirror... that would be the actual ceremony. Handy, eh!

Didn't they sell Runireland to Active a few years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Didn't they sell Runireland to Active a few years ago?

Yup, hence my phrasing. Still no need to throw the mirror out though. Follow the "Website By" link at the bottom of the site.

Enduro wrote: »
    Yup, hence my phrasing. Still no need to throw the mirror out though. Follow the "Website By" link at the bottom of the site.

I still don't think your comment was entirely fair, though.

I ran the Conn 100 a few years ago and absolutely loved it. Not sure about it being the best ultra in Ireland, that's very much a matter of taste and personal preferences, but compared to the other category winners it's definitely one of the more deserving ones.

^^^

Having said that, I'm sure we can all agree that votes on social media sites aren't to be taken seriously, and are no reason to start arguing.

Would be curious to hear people's opinions on what the best races are in the various categories. I haven't a notion about some of the categories but I voted Adare as best 10k (local bias) and Charleville as best HM. Can't remember how I voted for the 5k, I think Borrisoleigh.

Would be curious to hear people's opinions on what the best races are in the various categories. I haven't a notion about some of the categories but I voted Adare as best 10k (local bias) and Charleville as best HM. Can't remember how I voted for the 5k, I think Borrisoleigh.

5k Leinster - Bob Heffernan, St Cocas 5k, Patrick Bell 5k, Castlepollard 5k.
    10k Leinster - Dunshaughlin 10k, Race Series 10k, Clonee 10k.
    10mile Leinster - Trim, Mullingar, Kilcock.
    Half Leinster - Bohermeen, Mullingar.

Outside of Leinster, the Seeley Cup in Belfast in late November is a must. Stacked field & very fast route, if your looking for a PB get to this race.

OOnegative wrote:
    Outside of Leinster, the Seeley Cup in Belfast in late November is a must. Stacked field & very fast route, if your looking for a PB get to this race.

Is that the one you need to qualify for? Cheers for that list. I'm ademant I'll be running some leinster races this year. Good reference to have.

• Advertisement

Is that the one you need to qualify for? Cheers for that list. I'm ademant I'll be running some leinster races this year. Good reference to have.

If I can run it you don’t need to qualify!!! Your thinking of the Armagh 5k i’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

^^^

Having said that, I'm sure we can all agree that votes on social media sites aren't to be taken seriously, and are no reason to start arguing.

Would it not be as good as any other method? If there even IS another method. Easy to manipulate I suppose, but all walks of life seem to have dodgy award systems (not always linked to social media) that allow everyone to market themselves as ‘award winning’. Restaurants. Films. Running events. Craft Butchers. The list is endless. Experts tune them out, newbies get fooled once or twice, then become experts. And it continues.

Advertisement