Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford developments

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Muttley79

https://www.wlrfm.com/2018/12/07/former-kilmeaden-cheese-factory-to-be-demolished/#
    This could be a huge development that's badly needed in kilmeaden since this factory closed down.i have heard rumour in the past few months of talks maybe a branch of Jameson distillery could be located here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Phelan will be on Deise AM soon I think.

David Cullinane talking now - the proposal I mentioned above has been edited to remove the 3 + 3 structure outlined, they are starting again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

.......Tumbleweed.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

What is the legal issue...just out of idle curiosity?

I'm beginning to wonder if anyone really wants this development at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Good to see something happening with the old garage site on the cork road ,anyone know whats being built?

I looked at the planning permissions part of the Councils website and its a mixed use development, a couple of apartments over some office/retail units I think

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭azimuth17

What is the legal issue...just out of idle curiosity?

I'm beginning to wonder if anyone really wants this development at all!

The widespread "rumour" in local business circles is that another hotelier has a claim for adverse possession in the High Court.

There's couple on that site the Folly/Williamstown road traffic light junction.

Probably need to start crane watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭914

Muttley79 wrote: »

Cranes
    One at St Patricks Hospital
    One at UHW
    Two at Beliew (not sure if they are still there)

Off the top of my head that's the only one's that I can think of

Hopefully we will see a few on Michael St and the North Quays in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Think there is one near the entrance to Templers Hall as well

https://photos.app.goo.gl/y36tsSsrxp9DXoNx5
    Anybody know what's going on with the old kilmeaden cheese factory.they are demolishing it at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

https://photos.app.goo.gl/y36tsSsrxp9DXoNx5
    Anybody know what's going on with the old kilmeaden cheese factory.they are demolishing it at the moment

Glanbia said going to demolish it, no other plans...in hope of selling it I'd reckon.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Glanbia said going to demolish it, no other plans...in hope of selling it I'd reckon.

http://www.munster-express.ie/business/hopes-for-investment-at-former-cheese-factory-site/
    Hopefully something good comes of it as it's got big potential

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

On the back of the recent announcement by Glanbia on Belview, I asked Paudie Coffey on Twitter if there were any plans for Kilmeaden a few weeks ago:

"Not yet unfortunately, but the site has strong infrastructural and utility assets. I understand Glanbia are undertaking demolition works to make the site more attractive for marketing and redevelopment".

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Contractor on site, with a brief to raise buildings to foundation level and stockpile rubble on site.
    Bare minimum really.

I thought there were plans to develop a brewery there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I thought there were plans to develop a brewery there.

I think they were hoping Midleton might consider it as they were running out of space in Midleton, but they were looking at other sites too, such as Youghal.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭curmudgeonly

hardybuck wrote: »
    I think they were hoping Midleton might consider it as they were running out of space in Midleton, but they were looking at other sites too, such as Youghal.

Difficult site for maturation sheds with the steeply rising ground and no sea influence for taste.

Would be a good site for a technology hub of some sorts for the south east region.which if Waterford airport get the green light could work out very well,wishful thinking I know but fingers crossed yeah just never know what might happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

News & Star front page is about a €100m Boland development on land currently used by Whitfield as an overflow car park. 55,750 sq m office space, 2,400 retail, hotel/leisure centre, medical facility and green space.

https://www.facebook.com/WaterfordNewsandStar/photos/a.126898284063638/2232210270199085/?type=1&theater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

JohnC. wrote: »
    News & Star front page is about a €100m Boland development on land currently used by Whitfield as an overflow car park. 55,750 sq m office space, 2,400 retail, hotel/leisure centre, medical facility and green space.

https://www.facebook.com/WaterfordNewsandStar/photos/a.126898284063638/2232210270199085/?type=1&theater

If you read the paper its actually behind bolands garage its going ,and the car park next to whitfield is already been used as a overflow car park for bolands and that will be used for more showrooms.

More development news, with Kilbarry/Lacken Road focused plan which takes in mix of residential and public (nursing home, medical centre shops, etc)

https://www.waterfordlive.ie/news/home/376117/waterford-set-for-100-million-investment-for-almost-1-000-houses-and-apartments.html
    Waterford City South Councillor John Cummins has welcomed the news that a Waterford contractor is to be awarded the contract to construct a road and services from the 6 crossroads roundabout towards the Lacken Road.

It is anticipated this will open up the prime land bank to cater for €100+ million worth of development consisting of 800 houses and apartments, a 90-bed nursing home, medical centre, café and crèche.

The road is being funded under the government's Local Infrastructure Housing Activation Fund (LIHAF) which seeks to unlock land zoned for housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

More development news, with Kilbarry/Lacken Road focused plan which takes in mix of residential and public (nursing home, medical centre shops, etc)

https://www.waterfordlive.ie/news/home/376117/waterford-set-for-100-million-investment-for-almost-1-000-houses-and-apartments.html

Where abouts is this going?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Deiseen

er1983 wrote: »

Kilbarry/Lacken Road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭914

er1983 wrote: »

Where David Flynn is building at the moment, behind the Musgrave business Park

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Great thanks

Large scale developments on the dunmore road worth 80 million euro seems to be a hotpoint.people are up in arms about the extra traffic it would bring to the area.on the other hand Waterford badly needs housing and it needs to expand rapidly soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Large scale developments on the dunmore road worth 80 million euro seems to be a hotpoint.people are up in arms about the extra traffic it would bring to the area.on the other hand Waterford badly needs housing and it needs to expand rapidly soon.https://waterford-news.ie/2019/05/31/dunmore-road-dismay-at-knockboy-development/#.XPErdoXsW8s.facebook

For a City like ours which is clearly growing it is criminal we do not have multiple bridges. A bridge out that way is badly needed.

If the NQ goes ahead the traffic in Ferrybank will be crazy during and after the build. Even little ol Kilkenny has 3 bridges in the town. Makes no sense we only have the one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

alta stare wrote: »
    For a City like ours which is clearly growing it is criminal we do not have multiple bridges. A bridge out that way is badly needed.

If the NQ goes ahead the traffic in Ferrybank will be crazy during and after the build. Even little ol Kilkenny has 3 bridges in the town. Makes no sense we only have the one.

Not really a valid comparison regarding bridges, the river width is completely incomparable, we not including the ten or so small bridges over the johns river. Agree though a bridge out ballygunner way would be useful, how useful is another thing, nobody would be heading north because everything is south of the river. We badly need the houses and density of housing too, is there a way to build them without ten or so apartment blocks, at the moment we are not used to apartment blocks in the suburbs, to that extent anyway. The traffic argument cant be used to block these things IMO, waiting for the govt to increase road capacity before they are built is beyond unlikely. Would be Great to see some sort of greener/public transport way to get people to city centre/school ideal, how that happens is debatable and unclear.I think for now the best most cost efficient thing as others suggested might be to build a road from ballygunner to airport road.

Advertisement