Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VAT increase

Options
  • 08-01-2019 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed an increase in prices due to the VAT increase from 9% to 13% ?
    A Deli counter in a garage I sometimes drop into had a sign explaining the price increases being due to the VAT increase. However, the increase on a €1.50 item would be, by my calculations, about 5.5 cent. Actual price increase was 25 cent, though.
    Now, I'm of the belief that a business can charge what it likes and increase its prices as it sees fit. What I have a problem with is a business increasing its prices significantly and blaming it on the government when the government are only responsible for a small portion of the increase.

Anyone else see anything like this going on?
    Are business absorbing the increase?
    Are they passing it on?
    Or are they using it as an excuse to hide price increases?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Has anyone else noticed an increase in prices due to the VAT increase from 9% to 13% ?
    A Deli counter in a garage I sometimes drop into had a sign explaining the price increases being due to the VAT increase. However, the increase on a €1.50 item would be, by my calculations, about 5.5 cent. Actual price increase was 25 cent, though.
    Now, I'm of the belief that a business can charge what it likes and increase its prices as it sees fit. What I have a problem with is a business increasing its prices significantly and blaming it on the government when the government are only responsible for a small portion of the increase.

Anyone else see anything like this going on?
    Are business absorbing the increase?
    Are they passing it on?
    Or are they using it as an excuse to hide price increases?

Been discussed already, they can increase prices to what people are willing to pay.

Many are using the vat increase as an excuse.

Many never dropped the price previously and increased over the years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Been discussed already, they can increase prices to what people are willing to pay.

Been discussed where? Haven't seen it.

As I said, I completely accept the above statement.

What I don't accept is lying to customers that the increase is due to the VAT increase when only a small portion of the increase is due to that. It's dishonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Been discussed where? Haven't seen it.

As I said, I completely accept the above statement.

What I don't accept is lying to customers that the increase is due to the VAT increase when only a small portion of the increase is due to that. It's dishonest.

Here a link.,..

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057942012/3/#post109068222

Advertisement