Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ReOPENed>>>Leaving Cert Reform. The propaganda begins >>>See Warning>>>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

clunked wrote: »

Yes, all sorts of 'reports' & 'working papers' on the NCCA website. There should be a thorough review of how the JC 'reform' is going before they start dismantling the LC. 'Continuous assement' is not the easy option students seem to think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Head of the NAPD is exceptionally biased on this topic. Very worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭amacca

It should sit nicely with grade inflation in third level institutions and "meeting targets"

Was the survey "what do you want" distributed widely amongst teachers....I haven't heard any of my former colleagues mention it......hundreds of response doesn't exactly represent a fair sample to my mind...defintely not something decisions like this should be based upon.

I wonder if the questions were leading or chosen specifically to favour an outcome and what body independently assessed this

Was there any mention of high contact hours, high pupil teacher ratios, poor resourcing, promotion system as open to abuse as it always was (perhaps moreso favouring the bull**** merchants) and how reforms might take this into account if they truly are reforms and how failure to even acknowledge never mind do something about these issues might impact on delivery

Was feedback given that shows nuanced comments/any other section responses were taken into account etc

You'd get fairly tired of surveys saying what the creators want them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

I don't know anybody who answered this survey either. Some students are in favour of Continuous Assessment as some of them don't fully understand it, but that's fair enough. The biggest clue that the results are skewed is the result that apparently 51%of students are in favour of their own teachers correcting the work for final marks. None of my students have ever even been slightly in favour of this. They know the drawbacks of it and how it will totally change the relationship between students and teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Imagine having the gaule to try and push this through when we are in the middle of a shambolic JC reform that will have to backtracks on within 5 years.
    All you have to do is look at voice for teachers on Facebook over the weekend. Post after post of stressed out teachers, caused in no small part by 'reform'. We have, and have had, one of the worlds leading education system. Why are we so intent on wrecking it and dumbing it down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Lads just saw this on the main page and genuinely curious.

What is the main reason that teachers don't want to correct their students exams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

troyzer wrote: »

What is the main reason that teachers don't want to correct their students exams?

Clearly there could be bias, or accusations of bias. Why would we remove anonymity.

Clearly there could be bias, or accusations of bias. Why would we remove anonymity.

But sure it works in universities?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Nermal

Why does anyone care what students think? Of course they want an easier, less stressful exam. So what? Exams are hard. Life is hard. HTFU.

The LC is a beacon of objectivity and fairness in a country that has historically had a problem with a ‘who you know’ culture. Long may it stay so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Much larger groups of students in general, a large lecture hall is not a small school room.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

troyzer wrote:

Purely the extra work the poor things.

Ridiculous we still use a system where teachers train students how to pass exams. The leaving cert is nothing to do with teaching and learning.

But yea lets not give the teachers extra work.

Ffs no wonder we have one of the worst education systems in the developed world.

Much larger groups of students in general, a large lecture hall is not a small school room.

I graduated with 14 people.

I knew my lecturers by their first names, got absolutely hammered with them and I even had dinner with my project supervisor and his wife in his house.

I never once felt like he wasn't able to be objective and in the end I came just short of first class honours which I needed for a PhD I was targeting.

It's just laziness to suggest it can't be done in schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

The thing is, we have always been correcting student exams, so no teacher would mind that remaining.

Correcting your own students' state exams which can have an impact on college progression... I'd prefer the system to be standardised and anonymous across all of the schools in Ireland to give everyone a fair shot.
    Now I know that there's socio-economic disadvantage meaning that some students don't have the same access to grinds and all that, but I don't see that as being connected to teacher certification.

clunked wrote: »

Breaking News Headline: Majority of teenagers say "That's so unfair!".

By the way, I'm not saying I agree with continuous assessment in schools.

I think there's a lot of merit to the blunt but largely fair leaving cert. Although grinds and the performance of private schools show that you can still pay your way to success.

And I also don't care that teenagers want continuous assessment, of course they do.

But I also think that I studied German in school for six years and can't speak the language. Irish for 13. My French is better than my Irish and I only started a few months ago.

There is something broken in the current system. It is not educating young people, it's preparing then for an exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

I knew my lecturers by their first names, got absolutely hammered with them and I even had dinner with my project supervisor and his wife in his house.

I never once felt like he wasn't able to be objective and in the end I came just short of first class honours which I needed for a PhD I was targeting.

What course was that? Because that's why it's a lot easier to be objective.
    But instead of having 200 on your course , the Leaving Cert has 50 000+ others on your course.

Do you want each teacher to set their own papers?
    Who is going to compare all of the papers throughout the country and ensure they meet the same criteria and more importantly who is going to pay them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭brookers

I have children who will be sitting the leaving cert in a few years. Would love if they dropped Irish as a compulsory subject. Then concentrate on the subjects they like. More subjects like film and TV studies, IT, web design, you tube all that kind of stuff. History, Geography, economics, the sciences. Languages that are useful. Do Irish if you love it or like it. Social studies, races religion. Open up the whole thing, bring out the best in people. Not all kids want to go to Trinity and get 700 points....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Teachers are products of the system. They benefited from the LC and the points system and they don't want to see it changed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

You've answered your own question. Your supervisor knew you, hence you got the result you did.

judeboy101 wrote: »

You've answered your own question. Your supervisor knew you, hence you got the result you did.

I failed to get the result I wanted/needed.

It wasn't a favourable one given by a supervisor who liked me.

In fact, it was my low grade on the final project which brought me down below a first.

• Advertisement

I think there's a lot of merit to the blunt but largely fair leaving cert. Although grinds and the performance of private schools show that you can still pay your way to success.

And I also don't care that teenagers want continuous assessment, of course they do.

But I also think that I studied German in school for six years and can't speak the language. Irish for 13. My French is better than my Irish and I only started a few months ago.

There is something broken in the current system. It is not educating young people, it's preparing then for an exam.

1. You can pay for grinds and private school but in June everything is equal and sits the same exams in the same conditions with allowances made if you have disabilities or illness and the guy from the council house has the same opportunity on the day as the princess from the mansion.

2. The biggest reason we can't speak Irish is we don't. Of course your French is better - you're using it every day.

3. The biggest problem with the leaving cert is parents and media spouting on about how much pressure its putting on the snowflakes children. STOP , and stop with the talk about it being the be all and end all. Every teacher I know goes in to the profession with the aim of educating the students and helping them to grow as people as well as prepare them for the terminal exam.
    But if every single year the same Sh*te about points is been spouted in the media instead of encouraging people to fill out the CAO and also look at other options such as going into an apprentice ship in traditional trades or accounting etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

In fact, it was my low grade on the final project which brought me down below a first.

Never, said anything about liking, I said you got the result you got because your supervisor knew you

1. You can pay for grinds and private school but in June everything is equal and sits the same exams in the same conditions with allowances made if you have disabilities or illness and the guy from the council house has the same opportunity on the day as the princess from the mansion.

2. The biggest reason we can't speak Irish is we don't. Of course your French is better - you're using it every day.

3. The biggest problem with the leaving cert is parents and media spouting on about how much pressure its putting on the snowflakes children. STOP , and stop with the talk about it being the be all and end all. Every teacher I know goes in to the profession with the aim of educating the students and helping them to grow as people as well as prepare them for the terminal exam.
    But if every single year the same Sh*te about points is been spouted in the media instead of encouraging people to fill out the CAO and also look at other options such as going into an apprentice ship in traditional trades or accounting etc.

1. Everything is equal in June but the rich kids will have had better teachers and grinds along the way. It does make a difference. Not that I think continuous assessment would be any better. But I don't think the current system is class proof in that way. Although it's certainly better than many other systems.

2. I don't use French every day. I practice it on memrise the odd time.

3. There's a lot of Truth in what you're saying here but all I can say is from my experience (did my leaving cert in 2011) it was entirely the teachers putting the fear of God into my year. None of my family had ever been to University so there was no real pressure there. I also was also too buried in Angry Birds and Temple Run to care about the latest Irish Times article on the CAO. What I knew, I got from my teachers. And they put a huge amount of pressure on us.

I also don't agree that teachers are there to grow pupils as adults. You might get the odd one who goes the extra mile, does extra curricular work etc. but these weren't very common for me.

Trades etc. were never discussed as an option. LCA was openly shunned.

judeboy101 wrote: »

Never, said anything about liking, I said you got the result you got because your supervisor knew you

Right, that's a pretty outlandish claim. I got my grade because I worked hard and deserved it.

You're aware that universities also have an external examiner who checks over your project and interviews you to see if you're a spoofer?

This could be incorporated into the leaving cert.

Does that mean we have to be getting absolutely hammered with students now? :pac:
    Just kidding...

So let's go through it then.

Q1. You'd be happy for me to grade one of my own classes' leaving cert exams.

Q2. Would you be prefer to see the pay increment system changed to a performance based metric?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I have worked in the north for over 20 years and been through the whole process of teacher assesed work at GCSE and A - level. Currently the whole system is going back to fully external assessment with less teacher input or control.
    There is no point comparing third level with secondary level.
    One thing the North still has (less so in Britain) is modular courses which I do like. It gives pupils information on where they are at and can act as a wake up call before terminal exams.
    Why can the Irish system just not look across the water without repeating the same mistakes

Does that mean we have to be getting absolutely hammered with students now? :pac:
    Just kidding...

So let's go through it then.

Q1. You'd be happy for me to grade one of my own classes' leaving cert exams.

Q2. Would you be prefer to see the pay increment system changed to a performance based metric?

1. I don't know yet. Just interested to hear the counter arguments.

2. No. Teaching is a job like any other. I don't appreciate the right wing zealots who think the whole world should work on commission. That being said, teachers should face performance reviews and get bonuses. But also get sacked if they're crap. We've all had teachers who were just shocking and shouldn't be allowed to keep teaching.

1. I don't know yet. Just interested to hear the counter arguments.

2. No. Teaching is a job like any other. I don't appreciate the right wing zealots who think the whole world should work on commission. That being said, teachers should face performance reviews and get bonuses. But also get sacked if they're crap. We've all had teachers who were just shocking and shouldn't be allowed to keep teaching.

So if my students get better grades I get a bigger bonus.

1. Everything is equal in June but the rich kids will have had better teachers and grinds along the way. It does make a difference. Not that I think continuous assessment would be any better. But I don't think the current system is class proof in that way. Although it's certainly better than many other systems.

And that s the point exactly - It's all well and good saying change the system but no one can come up with anything that is going to be fairer to date.

2. I don't use French every day. I practice it on memrise the odd time.
    Do you practice Irish the odd time - its not really that its specific to you but the general "weren't taught properly" is a bit of a lazy generalisation. Like I have a college education but I didn't truly understand some of the topics until I was using them on a daily basis years later.
    3. There's a lot of Truth in what you're saying here but all I can say is from my experience (did my leaving cert in 2011) it was entirely the teachers putting the fear of God into my year. None of my family had ever been to University so there was no real pressure there. I also was also too buried in Angry Birds and Temple Run to care about the latest Irish Times article on the CAO. What I knew, I got from my teachers. And they put a huge amount of pressure on us.
    Again, its not specific to you but this gross generalisation is the same spin about pressure coming from the people who are creating the pressure .
    I also don't agree that teachers are there to grow pupils as adults. You might get the odd one who goes the extra mile, does extra curricular work etc. but these weren't very common for me.
    It depends on what the extra mile is, very often it can be challenging a pupil in class trying different ways to motivate them , not necessarily out on a rugby pitch or coaching a choir.
    Trades etc. were never discussed as an option. LCA was openly shunned.

Yep, this would be a big bug bear of mine (And most teachers) is the lack of guidance counsellors which were cut in the recession and even then the role was supposed to include counselling as a main part of the post instead of a dedicated career guidance teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Not true. All teachers in this country have the same qualification. Rich kids, as you put it have the resources to access fee paying schools. They come from families where parents are interested in their education and progression to third level. There is a drive there to succeed. Kids going to grind schools are not subjected to any magical teacher, they are expected to learn off bundles of notes on a 12-13 hour working day for the year. Kids accessing fee paying education are in classes with other kids from a similar background, so the overall vibe is to be competitive and do well.

Your average kid going to a community school in a town where there is only one secondary school encounters a very different situation, and a wider range of ability and support from home for the attending students. A more variable set of results - but it doesn't mean the teachers are crap.

Plenty of poorly performing teachers in fee paying schools too, only it is masked by the ability of the parents to pay for grinds.

Advertisement