Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All our packaging: how to reduce it substantially?

Options
  • 26-12-2018 12:26am

So, leaving aside the obvious food waste, I'm fairly floored by the amount of cardboard, paper and plastic I've been putting in the recycling bins today. And I'm certain many people are feeling similarly about all their own waste (just had a big chat with the next door neighbour, who brought the topic of waste up).

I'm a strong believer in the Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility: for each additional unit (e.g. a toy car) of a product consumed a person's satisfaction declines. In other words, a kid isn't, for instance, getting anything like the same sort of satisfaction from cars 5, 10, or 15 as he is from car 1. In a nutshell, we all could do with far fewer presents, with far less paper and cardboard and all the rest and our satisfaction would probably not decline much, if at all. I've always been very conscientious about recycling, ever since I lived and worked in Scandinavia in the 1990s, an experience which was a huge eyeopener in how we as a society could be much more intelligent about our waste.

Anyway, while for cultural reasons to do with "expectations" I may not win the debate even in my own home about buying fewer presents next year, how can I reduce the impact of all this consumerism on our planet? I sense that there is a huge revolution needed in our packaging culture and it will have to be done at an EU-wide level at least. There's no way it could succeed on a voluntary basis because the fancy packaging will have the marketing edge and thus undermine attempts by companies to act more environmentally in their packaging. However, I cannot envisage all the extraordinary packaging of products today continuing indefinitely. I still remember when two of the local pubs used to sell sweets - bon, bons, Cola Cubes, etc - out of big jars, so anybody who thinks the current level of packaging has always been with us is very mistaken.

There is definitely a massive cultural change needed in terms of the "I have to buy a present for..." mentality. Can we not start a campaign to make it acceptable to give presents with far less packaging? Governments are giving tax breaks to businesses all the time, why not tax breaks to reduce waste? (Or else just change the law and compel them to be more ethical) It could be a superb business opportunity to facilitate a consumerism with far less plastic/cardboard/paper etc.

In the meantime, though, what is the next level up from conventionally recycling almost everything? Even our quotidian milk back in the 80s was in glass milk bottles - remember this? - which we washed and put back out for the milkman - not it's just plastic container after plastic container, every single day in the vast majority of homes. There are so many products like that now that really are no credit to our society but it seems to be the "lower cost" option to create more waste, when most of us would agree that we should inventivise a more efficient, less wasteful use of resources.

Would you support moves to dramatically reduce packaging, single use plastic etc? 187 votes

Yes, dramatically (such waste reduced by 50% or more)
    0%
    Yes (such waste reduced by 25%)
    97%
    GraysonzenithbyteseamusrtronrameiretuxyPsygnosisPherekydesKilOitdudaraAkrasiaAglomeradojam_mac_jamFGRvictor8600kenmcJupiterKidKillerShamrockKorvanica 182 votes
    No, it's currently acceptable
    2%
    Riesen_Mealmickdw2011abcscamalertSpaz 5 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Carlingford Locked

You’re wasting your time. The capitalist system works if we keep consuming more and more and no politicians are going to tell us to spend and consume less, those who do are ridiculed. People are not a willing to lower their standard of living or make inconvenient changes. Greed and laziness conquers all. The waste of Xmas is just a pumped up version of normal day to day consumption.
    Basically things will continue as are until resources run scarce and war and fascism and chaos takes hold.
    Happy f*cking Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Stop having kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

So, leaving aside the obvious food waste, I'm fairly floored by the amount of cardboard, paper and plastic I've been putting in the recycling bins today. And I'm certain many people are feeling similarly about all their own waste (just had a big chat with the next door neighbour, who brought the topic of waste up).

I'm a strong believer in the Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility: for each additional unit (e.g. a toy car) of a product consumed a person's satisfaction declines. In other words, a kid isn't, for instance, getting anything like the same sort of satisfaction from cars 5, 10, or 15 as he is from car 1. In a nutshell, we all could do with far fewer presents, with far less paper and cardboard and all the rest and our satisfaction would probably not decline much, if at all. I've always been very conscientious about recycling, ever since I lived and worked in Scandinavia in the 1990s, an experience which was a huge eyeopener in how we as a society could be much more intelligent about our waste.

Anyway, while for cultural reasons to do with "expectations" I may not win the debate even in my own home about buying fewer presents next year, how can I reduce the impact of all this consumerism on our planet? I sense that there is a huge revolution needed in our packaging culture and it will have to be done at an EU-wide level at least. There's no way it could succeed on a voluntary basis because the fancy packaging will have the marketing edge and thus undermine attempts by companies to act more environmentally in their packaging. However, I cannot envisage all the extraordinary packaging of products today continuing indefinitely. I still remember when two of the local pubs used to sell sweets - bon, bons, Cola Cubes, etc - out of big jars, so anybody who thinks the current level of packaging has always been with us is very mistaken.

There is definitely a massive cultural change needed in terms of the "I have to buy a present for..." mentality. Can we not start a campaign to make it acceptable to give presents with far less packaging? Governments are giving tax breaks to businesses all the time, why not tax breaks to reduce waste? (Or else just change the law and compel them to be more ethical) It could be a superb business opportunity to facilitate a consumerism with far less plastic/cardboard/paper etc.

In the meantime, though, what is the next level up from conventionally recycling almost everything? Even our quotidian milk back in the 80s was in glass milk bottles - remember this? - which we washed and put back out for the milkman - not it's just plastic container after plastic container, every single day in the vast majority of homes. There are so many products like that now that really are no credit to our society but it seems to be the "lower cost" option to create more waste, when most of us would agree that we should inventivise a more efficient, less wasteful use of resources.

+1 to this.Far too much packaging. With kids especially you start to drown in the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

You’re wasting your time. The capitalist system works if we keep consuming more and more and no politicians are going to tell us to spend and consume less, those who do are ridiculed. People are not a willing to lower their standard of living or make inconvenient changes. Greed and laziness conquers all. The waste of Xmas is just a pumped up version of normal day to day consumption.
    Basically things will continue as are until resources run scarce and war and fascism and chaos takes hold.
    Happy f*cking Christmas.

Indeed sure now we have the chamber of commerce criticising met eireann for giving a weather forecast that caused people to stay out at home and not go out and consume like good capitalists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Capitalism means you can buy what you need with ease, it means people can set up their own businesses, it means competitive prices - capitalism doesn't just mean greed and hyper consumerism.

But I agree the waste at Christmas is crazy and the amount of packaging is also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Marley and Marley

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Stop having kids.

Correct.

Every single problem the world faces regarding waste of resources stems from there being far too many people on the planet.

If the worlds population had stayed where it was in 1900 everything would be fine.

Of all the things you can do to help the environment not having children is by far the best, nothing else comes close to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Correct.

Every single problem the world faces regarding waste of resources stems from there being far too many people on the planet.

If the worlds population had stayed where it was in 1900 everything would be fine.

Of all the things you can do to help the environment not having children is by far the best, nothing else comes close to it.

You wonder would the rate of technological advancement have been as swift without the extra few billion people working.

Presuming we follow the same tehnological progress, then humanity would eventually use all resources and we'd find ourselves in the same spot, just a two or three hundred years in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I just need to start not forgetting the 456 plastic bags I leave in my boot 'for the next time I got to Tesco'.

Just a little story. Decided to do a declutter after Christmas too many clothes so off I went to my local clothes recycling bin.Someone had jammed the bin drawer with what seemed to be a duvet all wrapped up in a bag. Then went to another clothes recycling centre same story all the bin drawers jammed with bags of clothes or god knows what that people couldn't even be bothered to unpack and place in the bin item by item.Then as the bins were jammed there were bags and bags of clothes just left by the side of the bins.I wouldn't do this so brought mine home again. Do people not know how to use bins or is it just being lazy? Anyway point being we do have too much stuff. Went supermarket shopping today and the amount of cardboard and packaging is crazy.I don't think anyone cares though or do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Capitalism means you can buy what you need with ease, it means people can set up their own businesses, it means competitive prices - capitalism doesn't just mean greed and hyper consumerism.

But I agree the waste at Christmas is crazy and the amount of packaging is also.

Sure if we lived I a world where it was all little high street shops and the like.

We live I a corporate mega conglomerate world. And they feed on greed.

• Advertisement

Maybe we couldn't afford the prices and would buy less, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I was actually just saying today it's shocking how often we've to empty the bin. i don't even know what packaging i'm using

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Odelay

Maybe instead of buying new, buy some of the kids presents in a thrift shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Blaizes wrote: »
    Just a little story. Decided to do a declutter after Christmas too many clothes so off I went to my local clothes recycling bin.Someone had jammed the bin drawer with what seemed to be a duvet all wrapped up in a bag. Then went to another clothes recycling centre same story all the bin drawers jammed with bags of clothes or god knows what that people couldn't even be bothered to unpack and place in the bin item by item.Then as the bins were jammed there were bags and bags of clothes just left by the side of the bins.I wouldn't do this so brought mine home again. Do people not know how to use bins or is it just being lazy? Anyway point being we do have too much stuff. Went supermarket shopping today and the amount of cardboard and packaging is crazy.I don't think anyone cares though or do they?

I think some people do care and some stores certainly react. It might be a small gesture in the grand scheme of things but at least it is something. Just because it's almost pointless doesn't mean we shouldn't even try.

Regarding clothes, clothes are absolutely worthless once the tag is cut off. The planet is drowning in unused clothes and synthetic fabrics are fairly complicated to recycle.
    Clothes do not have resale value. I'm quite conscious when buying clothes, I try to avoid synthetic fabrics for the most part and I buy very very little because I don't wanna have a wardrobe full of "nothing to wear".
    When I had my second child I decided to not buy everything but get stuff second hand. I bought 90% of the clothes from people that hopelessly overbought. A lot of the things still had tags on. I remember paying 20 Euro for a big bin liners full of almost new clothes on several occasions and every single mother I bought from said they spent stupid money on the stuff and they regret it.
    We should all encourage our family and friends to be more aware of what we buy to put on. You can only wear one pair of pants and one pair of shoes at the same time. We don't need 20.

Same with toys and presents, I always try to encourage people to either chip in for one "big" present or buy the kids something they actually need. Even though we're barely buying toys we have so many.

Gotta start somewhere.

I'd also have no problem giving up comfort in order to produce less waste.

Yes absolutely agree with you since having kids I find there is so much stuff around and far too many toys.Birthday parties don't help if one child gets invited to twelve parties per year for example that's at least ten new toys. We're drowning as a society in stuff we don't actually need. Before kids and when I was single it was far easier to be a minimalist. But I'm going to get back to it and clothes are another thing as you say far too many floating around due to mass production and some of very poor quality, one wash and ready for the bin.I try to buy better quality items as well that will last and go well through the wash. I enjoyed clothes shopping before but in recent years I can see that it is all a con and money drain.I hate trying on stuff in crowded shops and going though rails and rails of clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My wartime generation could teach a lot.. We wasted nothing. And the habits die hard. Old clothes end up as dusters and floor cloths. Paper waste lights the fire. Cardboard goes on the vegetable patch to mulch down. Turf ashes are cat litter....

The plastic milk cartons with the tops off make excellent planters. And they make great bird feeders and nest boxes. Leave the tops ready to put back on to make mini greenhouses..

Of course we had rationing. Limited all we bought.
    Saving coupons for a new dress..

Cloth /string shopping bags. etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

But the problem with capitalism is that its all about the profit and nothing else and there is virtually no constraint and no other rationale. So we invent sh1t that nobody needs just to sell it and nobody cares how much resources it takes to make it and what happens to it after. Ability to make money with it is all the justification it needs.
    On top of it capitalism requires constant growth meaning we have to go through sh1t at an ever increasing rate just to keep going. Add to that population growth and you know this isn't going to end well.
    Only when resources start to actually run out and our seas and lands are fvcked up we will look back and say wtf we were going through stuff like crazed junkies. We as a species as a society are actually behaving like crazed junkies.

Capitalism has brought us prosperity but it has also perverted itself and has some inherent flaws. The major one being that there just isn't an infinite amount of resources to use and landscapes to lay to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Odelay wrote: »
    Maybe instead of buying new, buy some of the kids presents in a thrift shop?

Even better. Why don’t you make it yourself from bits of shït people have dumped?

Plus we have lot of cheap junk coming from China.For example I couldn't find my good computer mouse and bought a one euro fifty one.Well one bang on the floor and there it was in bits. Whereas the good one might have withstood the bang on the floor.But there you go my fault for buying the cheap one but the good products that you pay more for will probably last longer in the long run and is worth the extra money and won't be clogging up landfill after a single use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

People these days loves convenience more than ever, due in part to the fact we seem to be more busy. The hassle of bringing bananas over to be weighted and then to print a sticker is often trumped by just grabbing a bag of them with a bar code on it.

The packaging thing has started to get to me also. Such a waste. I'm making an effort to buy loose veg now.

Kids are getting so many toys now at Xmas etc that they hardly appreciate half of them.

• Advertisement

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    People these days loves convenience more than ever, due in part to the fact we seem to be more busy. The hassle of bringing bananas over to be weighted and then to print a sticker is often trumped by just grabbing a bag of them with a bar code on it.

The packaging thing has started to get to me also. Such a waste. I'm making an effort to buy loose veg now.

Kids are getting so many toys now at Xmas etc that they hardly appreciate half of them.

That's it though people are so busy...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Change has to come from the producer. I can only get what's in the shop. We should not fill the green bin every 2 weeks. Its just passing the buck on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Stop having kids.

9352_4a98_620.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Plastic waste for food products is completely over the top and it's the one that fills your bin every week. For example you want some tomatoes but you get six in a plastic tray wrapped in non recyclable plastic wrap. Why is that necessary? Just have them loose buy as many as you need and put them into a bio degradable bag (like supervalue are doing) It's the same across most food products just excess packaging waste everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Plastic waste for food products is completely over the top and it's the one that fills your bin every week. For example you want some tomatoes but you get six in a plastic tray wrapped in non recyclable plastic wrap. Why is that necessary? Just have them loose buy as many as you need and put them into a bio degradable bag (like supervalue are doing) It's the same across most food products just excess packaging waste everywhere.

To protect the produce from being mauled and damaged. Tomatoes are fragile. And too many fingers handling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Tomatoes are dead easy to grow in your garden; no packaging need come anywhere near them ... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Unfortunately thin film plastic is not recycable in Ireland, so it can’t go in the green bin (even though it is technically possible to recycle it). Just more rubbish for the bin.

And a lot of people don’t realise that recyclables should be placed loose in the bin e.g. not in bags. If it’s too hard to sort recyclables, they’re often just dumped into the general waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

In Lidl the organic fairtrade bananas are wrapped in a paperband while elsewhere they're in plastic bags. How is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I always get the frustration-free packaging when ordering something. Less plastic and the cardboard can easily be recycled by putting it in the paper bin for collection.

Advertisement