Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All our packaging: how to reduce it substantially?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes (such waste reduced by 25%)
    Blaizes wrote: »
    Yes, it's so wrong to blame the older generation.Plastic was very scare back then, as a child I remember my Mum wanting to buy some tupperware bowls to make Christmas pudding in but they were expensive, guess it was only the start of plastic leading us to where we are today.I get really annoyed when a new toy comes into the house cardboard and plastic packaging and cable tie things to hold the toy in place.There is no end to it and we would really need to stop buying in order to make a change. Plastic toys must be a huge contributor to the plastic in our oceans.

In my childhood there were no plastic washing up bowls or mixing bowls etc. Everything was enamel, metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes (such waste reduced by 25%)
    That is not really recycling though only giving them more use,the plastic still needs to be disposed of eventually and when you buy again, you get more of the same. Also, cardboard is often taped together with plastic and there are chemicals in the cardboard that can be harmful. the milk bottles and meat trays have various different plastic components, some are not recyclable. Only one type of plastic can be recycled.A lot of packaging is made from different components and thus unrecyclable.

May I ask then what you expect us ordinary folk to do? You are scolding the wrong folk. Realistically. Especially those like myself who are housebound and cannot choose where we shop etc? We reuse, which is one form of recycling . and all we can do. Sincerely and caringly. Which is all we can do. OK? OK! we leave the campaigning to you young ones and do all I can here. Been mulching with cardboard for decades... Bless you. Offline now so ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

why are you assuming all blame? we are all responsible and it's only consumer led demand that will move manufacturers. If we ask for change we can force food manufacturers to change our choices. I've seriously started looking at what I'm buying and I'm also asking in shops for plastic free goods. I know I don't always get it, they now know I as a customer want change. We can all do our bit. I think one of the biggest problems with packaging is the stuff that can't be seperated, like plastic glued to cardboard or tins lined with plastic. We can look out at what we buy and make a different choice. You must be fed up looking at all the plastic coming in on the tide. It's interesting seeing what bits are floating about. like the plastic rings from milk cartons and whole plastic bottles f shampoo, and little tiny bits of flotsam. 20 years ago, I used to love to beach comb, I used to collect seaglass, that's gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Graces7 wrote: »
    May I ask then what you expect us ordinary folk to do? You are scolding the wrong folk. Realistically. Especially those like myself who are housebound and cannot choose where we shop etc? We reuse, which is one form of recycling . and all we can do. Sincerely and caringly. Which is all we can do. OK? OK! we leave the campaigning to you young ones and do all I can here. Been mulching with cardboard for decades... Bless you. Offline now so ...

Are you drunk or something?

Advertisement