Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ye Olde Watch Giveaway

• 05-01-2019 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

So the long and the short of it is that I have some very old watches that I've never worn and am probably unlikely to wear- around 4 or 5 of them. I thought there might be some who'd appreciate them in a way that I never have and that rather than selling them, it might be nice to give them away to someone here who can give them a new home.

I'm not entirely sure how we'd work this but what about anyone who wants one can chirp in here. Once there's a shortlist of names then other users can vote for who gets it. That way we know it'd be going to someone who appreciates them. The only stipulation is that you must be a watches & timepieces regular. If there are any flaws in the plan, please let me know.

First off is the Poljot below. It's in working condition with light-medium scratching to the perspex, nothing heavy that would take away enjoyment of the watch.

469608.jpg

469609.jpg

469610.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

That's a great gesture K_H.

Just a thought, it would probably be a good idea to put up the general size of the watches. Just in case the particular watches are outside of someones comfort zone. Someone may like the look of one of the watches but end up not wearing it due to not liking the size.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Very nice idea and very generous.

I don't want this watch (already got one)...but I thought it might be worth mentioning for those who don't know that this a mechanical alarm watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

hitemfrank wrote: »
    That's a great gesture K_H.

Just a thought, it would probably be a good idea to put up the general size of the watches. Just in case the particular watches are outside of someones comfort zone. Someone may like the look of one of the watches but end up not wearing it due to not liking the size.

Hmnnn I have no idea what size it is I'm afraid except to say it does wear on the smaller side. If anyone is more familiar with the type of watch, feel free to add some details.
    peasant wrote: »
    Very nice idea and very generous.

I don't want this watch (already got one)...but I thought it might be worth mentioning for those who don't know that this a mechanical alarm watch.

Thanks peasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

AKA a buzz watch!
    Very nice idea indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Instead of simply giving it away, how about an exchange for another watch of roughly similar value? Or a (say) 3 month loan before passing it on to someone else on here?

• Advertisement

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Instead of simply giving it away, how about an exchange for another watch of roughly similar value? Or a (say) 3 month loan before passing it on to someone else on here?

The loan thing would I suspect get messy very quickly. In regards to exchanging them for something of a similar value, they are old watches which won't be to everyones tastes so i think you're really appealing to a smallish audience.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Having read a few articles on mechanical alarm watches based on the above, count me in!

I'll announce the list of interested parties on the 12th, which will have been a week after the original posting. So far there's just two people interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

I'd love that watch. I'd like to give it to one of my friends that's getting into watches. I have away about 10 watches (all digital casios tgar cost about €20) to friends over the Christmas to try and spark some interest in them great idea well done. Put my name on the list there my man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭893bet

I holiday watch like TZ have is a nice idea I think

• Advertisement

Okie dokie so folks, it's down to you now, the contributors of this forum to vote for who you want to receive the watch. The interested parties are:

artanevilla
    2shea
    hitemfrank
    RiderOnTheStorm

I'll abstain from giving a vote, so vote away.

Once this has been concluded we'll start on the next watch which is a bit more of a looker than the Poljot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Artan did some research... he gets my vote :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

If I am lucky enough to get this watch I will donate the value of the watch to a charity of OPs choice.

Looking at eBay I don’t think 50 would be an unfair price for it. Open to correction, maybe Wibbs can comment? (Please be kind....)

So 3 days later and artanevilla is the only vote. Winner by default!

Will send you a pm now.

So 3 days later and artanevilla is the only vote. Winner by default!

Will send you a pm now.

Finally my vote counted somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Haha congratulations

Thanks for all your support folks. OP has selected Barnardos as his charity. I will process the donation in the morning.

If I am not happy with the watch on arrival I will donate to a charity he DOESN'T want. :p

No bamboozle.

470503.PNG

Right, I had forgotten to pop artanevilla's watch in the post... I'm that forgetful- that's done and dusted now. Second up is this Raketa. It's about 38-40mm and quite deep. Perspex is in a good quality condition. Same rules as before apply- chip in if you want it, then the regulars get to vote for whom they want to receive it.

471653.jpg

471654.jpg

471655.jpg

471656.jpg

471657.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Like that Raketa.

Very simple, but distinctive design. The Cyrillic date is cool too.

• Advertisement

Lord D gets my vote... he spelt Cryllic correctly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Lord D gets my vote... he spent Cryllic correctly :)

While that's very generous of you, I wasn't throwing my hat in.

I have a Vostok and a Poljot and I'm not looking to expand my Russian collection.

But it is a very nice piece.

You did make me check the spelling though, as I posted that from my phone which seems to take perverse delight in autocorrecting the oddest things.

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Lord D gets my vote... he spent Cryllic correctly :)

Not sure if you're being a clever cheeky fecker or if that was an auto correct of some sort. Probably the former!

Not sure if you're being a clever cheeky fecker or if that was an auto correct of some sort. Probably the former!

Ha defo an auto correct mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I'm not a regular poster here so I guess I can't be counted but this thread had reminded me of my love of old soviet watches.

I've a couple of zakaz vostoks I'll have to get back wearing them :)

So a week since I posted the Raketa and no-one is interested, really? Shall we give up on this thread (I've a few more I was planning on posting here).

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

So a week since I posted the Raketa and no-one is interested, really? Shall we give up on this thread (I've a few more I was planning on posting here).

I'm interested if you dont mind a new poster getting it :)

It's a shame there hasn't been more interest, it's a good idea.

I put myself forward last time and planned to skip some before trying again if something caught my eye.

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    I'm interested if you dont mind a new poster getting it :)

Seeing as there's been no-one, then no problem.
    hitemfrank wrote: »
    It's a shame there hasn't been more interest, it's a good idea.

I put myself forward last time and planned to skip some before trying again if something caught my eye.

Shall I put you down for this?

• Advertisement

Seeing as there's been no-one, then no problem.

Shall I put you down for this?

I'll pass on this one - I'll let someone else have a chance at it.

Thanks for the offer though.

Advertisement