Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When does Christmas begin and end?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

otnomart wrote: »
    For me it used to start on the 8 Dec,
    then, during my Dublin days, I picked this lovely Christmas bug and now I find perfectly legit having decorations up from the 3 Nov onwards.
    Again for me it ends on 6 Jan,
    but I do think that lights should up during the all of Jan, when they are much needed by all.
    I don't hate January: love to see the days getting longer, and I try to treat myself more during this month, just because.
    One treat for example: when I lived in Dublin, I used to go see the Turner watercolors at the National Gallery, they are on show only during Jan, and it is the same in Edinburgh.

3rd November?:eek: That's even before most of the shops put them up. I would say you have an extreme case of the Christmas bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

3rd November?:eek: That's even before most of the shops put them up. I would say you have an extreme case of the Christmas bug.
    Sorry I wasn't clear.
    I don't do it myself, but I find it perfectly legit and I don't bat an eyelid in case anyone does it.
    (I might just start using a Christmas mug around that time).

and let's not forget that most Christmas markets start the week-end closest to the 24 Nov!

Advent and the 12 days just go too fast for me !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Jude13

Our Dec's are coming down tonight, tomorrow and hopefully doesnt spill over into Saturday. We need a spring clean in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Reading through this thread had me thinking of christmas when I was a kid & I definitely remember my mum & dad leaving ours up until the 6th at least & if that fell midweek they'd tend to leave them up until the following weekend. Though there was one year we were back in school & when we came home my mum had taken them down & packed them away & we were all so disappointed not having been involved.

I do however remember that we would never have put them up as early as we do nowadays, it was always around the 11th - 14th they'd go up, never earlier than 2 weeks before anyway. How times seem to have changed, even they now get theirs up early December, but like ourselves take them down earlier also.

I'm still amazed that every year I think of it being a quick job both getting them up & down & it ends up taking a lot longer than that!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Just saw this in the Guardian:
    How to make your Christmas decorations work all year
    The party season may be over, but the worst of the dark days and bleak weather are still to come. Here are five ways to repurpose baubles, tinsel and lights to prolong the festive cheer
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2019/jan/02/how-to-make-your-christmas-decorations-work-all-year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

Christmas finishes for me when I see the Lakeside BDO darts on the telly. After a Christmas of watching nothing but the PDC world championship, I get an awful empty feeling when I walk into the living room (without all the decorations) and the BDO darts on the TV :-(

otnomart wrote: »
    Just saw this in the Guardian:
    How to make your Christmas decorations work all year
    The party season may be over, but the worst of the dark days and bleak weather are still to come. Here are five ways to repurpose baubles, tinsel and lights to prolong the festive cheer
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2019/jan/02/how-to-make-your-christmas-decorations-work-all-year

I presume you noticed the bottom piece of the article you linked to, ie. the part where the Guardian is requesting donations.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I presume you noticed the bottom piece of the article you linked to, ie. the part where the Guardian is requesting donations.:rolleyes:

:confused: that is on every article they put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

My late father's birthday was 'Little Christmas' 6th January so everything stays 'til then.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

mansize wrote: »
    i took down my decs last night.
    Fnaar fnaar

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

My trees went up on the 26th of November this Christmas and will come down on Sunday. I do find them a bit sad after Christmas but I make a big deal of the 12 days for my son and we have a number of Twelfthnight traditions we do tomorrow to officially finish Christmas.

I am itching a bit to get going on the undecorating though as it’s a MASSIVE job. As well as my main tree I have a porch tree, hall tree, kitchen tree, tiny playroom tree and felt tree. Every room in the house is fully decorated, as is the car and my camper van. It takes about a week to get them up and hours upon hours to get them back down. And if it’s not done in the proper order it only makes it harder to put them up the next year.

Once my son is in bed tomorrow night I’ll pack up all his ‘magic’ advent stuff, which includes all the kitchen decorations and the toy Christmas village. Then on Sunday morning I’ll get as much taken down as I can before going out for Little Christmas lunch.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just once I’d like to experience Christmas at yours iguana. :)

You really know how to make it so special.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Aw thanks but we all make our Christmasses special. I'm cursing my OTTness tonight. S is wide awake (his sleep routine has been turned upsidedown over Christmas but is especially dire since NYE) and I have a tonne of "magic" work to do tonight ahead of our special Twelfthnight breakfast and last hurrah of the magical menagerie I've built up. I just want to go to sleep and I'm so frustrated.

Just seen this and could not not share it:
    "EastEnders viewers want Mel to take down her Christmas tree"
    https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/eastenders-viewers-want-mel-to-take-down-her-christmas-tree-37759215.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I'm taking my decorations down this weekend. Tree is looking a little withered having had it up since Nov 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

I had the last of my mince pies for breakfast last Friday, so it's officially over now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I still have Christmas cake & pudding - it definitely improves with age and I have about 6 mince pies in the freezer for when I need cheering up :)

Effects wrote: »
    I'm taking my decorations down this weekend. Tree is looking a little withered having had it up since Nov 1st.

A little? I thought I was late in taking the decorations down the weekend of the 12th/13th January. You don`t live in Lapland do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

We ate the last crumb of the Christmas biscuits yesterday. And put a shrivelled end of fruitcake out for the birds.
    All over now!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Day Lewin wrote: »
    We ate the last crumb of the Christmas biscuits yesterday. And put a shrivelled end of fruitcake out for the birds.
    All over now!

Over or just slowly beginning again ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Recliner

A little? I thought I was late in taking the decorations down the weekend of the 12th/13th January. You don`t live in Lapland do you?

We're taking down the decorations and tree tomorrow. A slight bit of laziness on our part in fairness but also I hate the bare look when they're all gone. It's an artificial tree though so it still looks good.

Advertisement