Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'trampoline wars' FG Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Necro wrote: »
    Folks, I wonder is there appetite round these parts for a murder/mystery type RPG? (Would post in RPG discussion but not sure how many regulars read that thread :P )

I know sometimes the fantasy/sci fi element of RPGs can put people off but there are normal, more Werewolfy type ones as well. Thinking of co-ordinating with Fourier when he has some free time to run a short, low pressure(posting wise) one if there's interest.

Is Werewolf not a murder mystery type deal?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Watching Airline USA. It’s my new favourite TV show. (Some) Americans are stooopid.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yeah, pretty much. So something similar in fashion to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

RPGs are more open world. Its the difference between playing a game of cards with set rules (ww) and taking part in an open collaborative story telling game (D&D) imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Holy **** you guys, anyone with a passing knowledge of Irish should listen to these guys.

They're Irish language rappers from Northern Ireland and they're just brilliant. I've had to get translations from the husband for some of it but they're just so so clever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Pter wrote: »
    RPGs are more open world. Its the difference between playing a game of cards with set rules (ww) and taking part in an open collaborative story telling game (D&D) imo.

Depends on the game really. Given how far from proper werewolf what you already play is (with all the roles and hidden mechanics and changes during play to keep the party rolling till friday irrespective of what it does to a potentially successful solution) it's actually probably not that big a jump.

Did one around 12 years ago, it plays a lot like werewolf - Closed environment (a boat or a train for example), period dress a must, all players submit an idea for their character and why they're in the closed environment. Once underway there's a "night 0" for chit chat, but come the morning everyone has very specific instructions for what they are to be doing at the time of the murder, which they have to role play, and which naturally sets everyone up as suspicious, then they had to come together and try not to get murdered while trying to solve the murder.

Necro - would there be a "lynch" mechanic to remove the suspected murderer from play once identified, or would you keep everyone who wasn't dead in the game (which leads to a core team of trustworthy players that the killer is kind of forced to go after)? Also, would there be a designated Poirot type who's beyond reproach but keeps finding bodies (I'm convinced Poirot is a serial killer)?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Banjo wrote: »
    Necro - would there be a "lynch" mechanic to remove the suspected murderer from play once identified, or would you keep everyone who wasn't dead in the game (which leads to a core team of trustworthy players that the killer is kind of forced to go after)? Also, would there be a designated Poirot type who's beyond reproach but keeps finding bodies (I'm convinced Poirot is a serial killer)?

........Maybe.......;)

Lads if we are talking about a scenario where we all show up somewhere in costume to play a game. I AM SO IN!!

The theme is Little Mermaid - go!
    diy-low-cost-cosplay-anucha-saengchart-25-57838aa0bbb72__880.jpg

Depends on the game really. Given how far from proper werewolf what you already play is (with all the roles and hidden mechanics and changes during play to keep the party rolling till friday irrespective of what it does to a potentially successful solution) it's actually probably not that big a jump.

You've not played One Night Ultimate Werewolf then? There's about 10 players but you can mix up the players as much as you like with roles. In fact the rules suggest that you take out the boring villagers and werewolves as soon as everyone is comfortable because the roles are much more fun to play with and make the game more interesting.

So I don't actually think what we do with the games here and the mechanics is too far removed from the original Werewolf game.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, but ONUW is not original WW either so I'm not sure where you're going with this. I can only assume I've caused some offense? Just trying to reassure people that they might find adapting your WW to an RPG framework would not be much of a change of pace so they should check it out.

Damn it, this is harder than selling those damned pre-soiled underpants. I think I'm more suited to a support role than sales.

Fair enough, but ONUW is not original WW either so I'm not sure where you're going with this. I can only assume I've caused some offense? Just trying to reassure people that they might find adapting your WW to an RPG framework would not be much of a change of pace so they should check it out.

Damn it, this is harder than selling those damned pre-soiled underpants. I think I'm more suited to a support role than sales.

No I'm not offended at all, I'm just saying that "original" werewolf has already been expanded and developed further by the game-makers. So I'm just saying that I don't think our version of WW has strayed too far from what the gamemakers themselves are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    No I'm not offended at all, I'm just saying that "original" werewolf has already been expanded and developed further by the game-makers. So I'm just saying that I don't think our version of WW has strayed too far from what the gamemakers themselves are doing.

1) When you are playing one night werewolf, and a wolf team is decimated, you congrats the villager for playing spectacularly.

2) When a wolf team clean sweeps it, you congratulate the wolf team for playing spectacularly.

3) If the seer dies first, some players may show genuine emotion, but some players may fake sad emotion about the dead seer but be jumping for joy on the inside.

4) Now what happens if the mod decides to tell everyone to close their eyes and then swaps out a NRV for another seer, because they don't think the seer should have died first.

1, 2 & 3 are things that happen in werewolf.
    4 is no longer werewolf. Its just a makey upy game not following the correct structure of the game.

In 4, the wolves were over joyed because their worst enemy was taken out, making it more possible to get that very elusive clean sweep. But here we don't want to allow great play to happen, because it might shorten our games down.

In most games, if similar happened, it would be called cheating.
    listing of few games where it would be called cheating;
    chess
    draughts
    poker
    scrabble
    etc..

Mod

Lads. Off topic thread. Stop talking about D&D and WW.

I realise I've commented too but please move further game talk to the relevant discussion threads for each game.

Mod

Lads. Off topic thread. Stop talking about D&D and WW.

I realise I've commented too but please move further game talk to the relevant discussion threads for each game.

I think what I'll do is discuss it with Fourier and sort out logistics and come back with a sign up thread for those who are interested, save clogging here up again :D

Discussion has been taken to WW discussion thread sKeith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Discussion has been taken to WW discussion thread sKeith.

what?

Oh, you moved stuff.
    could you let it play out and move stuff after the thread has settled, its hard to keep track when your conversations just seperates off from your thread of thoughts.

Whoops rogue quote. I've moved your response to Mick and his original response re refs cheating to the ww discussion thread.

sKeith wrote:
    Oh, you moved stuff. could you let it play out and move stuff after the thread has settled, its hard to keep track when your conversations just seperates off from your thread of thoughts.

I had moved it a while ago in fairness. I'll take the suggestion on board though.

Necro, where was it you were telling me was a must in Cambodia the other night? some beachy place? or was it Vietnam

• Advertisement

Think it was Dollymount Strand, wasnt it?

Necro, where was it you were telling me was a must in Cambodia the other night? some beachy place? or was it Vietnam

Sihanoukville.

Otres-Beach-One.jpg

Spent almost a month there back in 2011. Was amazing and super cheap!

Also worth a look if you're in Cambodia -

Angkor Wat: An old temple complex, architecture is amazing and the designs of the different temples (there's tonnes of them) is unreal.

Here's the main one:

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzAzMS85MjAvb3JpZ2luYWwvc2h1dHRlcnN0b2NrXzExMDkxNzg4My5qcGc=

And if you're in Phnom Penh for a more macabre attraction go and see the Killing Fields. Think the likes of Auschwitz and Dachau but probably worse and more sustained genocide. Very sombre place.

One of the monuments to the dead has literally piled the skulls inside it:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQCR4gYZVSczMGsb3u3N5V6tl7kp2QgStck8QhZX_2ieutfXoxa

Here's one I took myself of the Killing Fields actually (attached as it's probably gonna come up massive).

Also worth a look if you're in Cambodia -

Angkor Wat: An old temple complex, architecture is amazing and the designs of the different temples (there's tonnes of them) is unreal.

Here's the main one:

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzAzMS85MjAvb3JpZ2luYWwvc2h1dHRlcnN0b2NrXzExMDkxNzg4My5qcGc=

Thanks!

I like how flat Angkor Wat and it's surrounds look, the feckin Valley of the Queens in Bali nearly killed me!

I'm still not 100% sure on where I'm going yet but I need to get my mind made up on the next few weeks to get the A/L approved. I might just do a beach holiday and to hell with cultural enrichment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Ah happy Cambodia memories :) Get a bike guide if you can. The speed they go you'll either feel REALLY ALIVE or you'll crash and die really quickly.

Wasn't Sihanoukville where they do the deep fried forest tarantula?

fixxxer wrote: »
    Ah happy Cambodia memories :) Get a bike guide if you can. The speed they go you'll either feel REALLY ALIVE or you'll crash and die really quickly.

Yeah, they do it in Siem Reap (the town beside Angkor Wat) as well.

Can't say I partook in that custom tbh :pac:

I actually have no photos from Sihanoukville - had my phone stolen while I was there :(

Went on one of those booze cruises out to a nearby island though, was unreal.

fixxxer wrote: »

Jaysus, I got a bike pickup from my hotel to the Gili Island ferry in Padang Bai last year, I HATED it and it was probably less than a KM! Didn't help that I had my full backpack strapped to me at the same time pulling me backwards.

Jaysus, I got a bike pickup from my hotel to the Gili Island ferry in Padang Bai last year, I HATED it and it was probably less than a KM! Didn't help that I had my full backpack strapped to me at the same time pulling me backwards.

We hired a driver in a 4 by 4 actually. Cost us 15 US dollars each for 4 days.

The driver was a cool guy, took us to where the natives eat. Huge bowls of food for less than 2 dollars. Was really fun.

Afterwards then we went clubbing, again a really cheap place for drink but was absolutely packed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Sihanoukville.

Otres-Beach-One.jpg

Spent almost a month there back in 2011. Was amazing and super cheap!

Id probably avoid it now tbh, strangely I was there in 2011 also, went back in 2016 and it's still nice but full of hippies off their heads on various drugs!

Koh Rong was great though, so it might still be worth a crack

Advertisement