Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Those tests, the one with the letters, I couldn't finish but was concentrating on getting what I marked off right so hopefully that doesn't impact too much. Other ones were fine, the 30 question one made me go off my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

In the initial questions about having any convictions etc it asks about colour blindness.

I had to pass a colour blindness test 20 years ago in order to do my apprenticeship. Obviously I passed it.

A couple of years ago I had another test as part of a general eye test and the optician said I had a touch of colour blindness. I've just done an online test now which I passed but some of the colours took me a while to get.

How important would you think this might be???

Obviously I can tell a red light from a green light so I'm not going to crash but I see different shades of brown as dark greens or dark purple.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Rootsblower

khaldrogo wrote: »
    In the initial questions about having any convictions etc it asks about colour blindness.

I had to pass a colour blindness test 20 years ago in order to do my apprenticeship. Obviously I passed it.

A couple of years ago I had another test as part of a general eye test and the optician said I had a touch of colour blindness. I've just done an online test now which I passed but some of the colours took me a while to get.

How important would you think this might be???

Obviously I can tell a red light from a green light so I'm not going to crash but I see different shades of brown as dark greens or dark purple.

Fail the colour blindness test at the medical stage(assuming you get that far) and it’s goodbye. The colour blindness test for drivers is very strict

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

On the IE website itself, Dart is described as Dublin's electric rail system, system as in singular. No other area in the country has an electrified rail line, so the correct answer has to be one. They didn't ask about branch lines or anything else you are blathering on about to try and come across as superior.

"The "Dublin Area Rapid Transit" is our only electrified rail line. From early morning to late at night, fast and frequent DART services operate along the Dublin coastline from Malahide and Howth in the North to Greystones in the South."

Are you unable to count?

I said there was one.

You are trying to argue against me, by saying that there is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Ran out of time on the RAAT got to question 25 or so. Found them a little hard to follow so kept double checking.

The IR-LDSJT was handy enough doing the right thing and common sense.

The mini Scaat I'm assuming it's impossible to finish the who page, or at least I didn't?

Also I'm guessing it submits automatically when I finish all 3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭weadick

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Whatever happened to starting on the platform and working your way up? Sorry for asking.

That would be great if anyone knew how to get that job...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Whatever happened to starting on the platform and working your way up? Sorry for asking.

There aren't many entry level positions left to get staff from, the cleaning, security etc have been contracted out, manual gates are almost a thing of the past and there's been a recruitment freeze for years. There's a chronic shortage of drivers so it's sh1t or burst time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Just having a look there, Looks like there application site crashed.. Woops

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

There aren't many entry level positions left to get staff from, the cleaning, security etc have been contracted out, manual gates are almost a thing of the past and there's been a recruitment freeze for years. There's a chronic shortage of drivers so it's sh1t or burst time.

There have been numerous gatekeeper positions advertised over the last 2/3 years. Many of the successful candidates have already progressed.

They may be looking for more soon enough.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

There have been numerous gatekeeper positions advertised over the last 2/3 years. Many of the successful candidates have already progressed.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Drop in the ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Siptu issued something today to Irish rail in relation to external recruitment

Don't be expecting jobs in a hurry here, this could cause delays

Unsure if Nbru issued anything yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

weadick wrote: »
    That would be great if anyone knew how to get that job...

Apply for the summer staff roles, they are using them to back fill positions. You can then apply for any other positions that may take your fancy.

Siptu issued something today to Irish rail in relation to external recruitment

Don't be expecting jobs in a hurry here, this could cause delays

Unsure if Nbru issued anything yet

They don't have a leg to stand on seeing that they had no issues with the hiring of summer staff even at the time of pay issues. The union did zilch then so why are they getting involved now? They are supposed to represent all members and not just drivers.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    They don't have a leg to stand on seeing that they had no issues with the hiring of summer staff even at the time of pay issues. The union did zilch then so why are they getting involved now? They are supposed to represent all members and not just drivers.

Well according to their notice that's actually their issue

They have stated on a documented I saw a little earlier that there is interest in the driver positions from Irish rail internal staff aswell as Dublin bus and bus Eireann staff.

They said in their documented the positions should've been advertised first on the internal system before taking it public like they did just over two years ago when they only advertised these jobs withing CIE.

So essentially they want it internal advertising, not public, yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

They have stated on a documented I saw a little earlier that there is interest in the driver positions from Irish rail internal staff aswell as Dublin bus and bus Eireann staff.

They said in their documented the positions should've been advertised first on the internal system before taking it public like they did just over two years ago when they only advertised these jobs withing CIE.

I thought there was interest within DB and BE alright but not IE.

They can still apply for it. They already hired from within a while back and even advertised in Dublin bus and bus eireann. Some bus drivers have already expressed an interest in applying this time.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I thought there was interest within DB and BE alright but not IE.

Word got around that the people on platforms etc were told to go apply online for it too

I'd say it's just a few moaning heads who have no desire to apply anyway but and the union is stupidly listening to them. It would be nice if they even bothered to send us out theses memos seeing that we pay the subs etc.

They can still apply for it. They already hired from within a while back and even advertised in Dublin bus and bus eireann. Some bus drivers have already expressed an interest in applying this time.

And many of us have applied for it online just incase

But at the moment there's no option to apply via the internal channels which is the issue

The unions are backing up saying we should be able to transfer across if suitable from the tests etc. So we should keep service status etc.

This has not been advertised internally this time round and there seems to be an issue with getting answers from management

• Advertisement

I'd say it's just a few moaning heads who have no desire to apply anyway but and the union is stupidly listening to them. It would be nice if they even bothered to send us out theses memos seeing that we pay the subs etc.

Well I got an email from my rep about it

And no to be honest the ones moaning want to go, I'm moaning but did apply already online again just incase

There's an awful lot of people that want out of BÉ and Dublin bus

We could easily filll the 100 positions internally and people on internal would still be people left over

Word got around that the people on platforms etc were told to go apply online for it too

They would have to do that anyway to get the tests done. Mind you, some can't drive a broom properly never mind doing a test. If they have an issue with the tests then they aren't suited to the job.

Well I got an email from my rep about it

And no to be honest the ones moaning want to go, I'm moaning but did apply already online again just incase

There's an awful lot of people that want out of BÉ and Dublin bus

We could easily filll the 100 positions internally and people on internal would still be people left over

Could you get 100 suitable and head screwed on drivers who won't spad on the first day driving and end up being stood down and put on a gate somewhere. The company needs new blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

They would have to do that anyway to get the tests done. Mind you, some can't drive a broom property never mind doing a test. If they have an issue with the tests then they aren't suited to the job.

Are cleaning staff not employed by ISS not IE?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Is the progression level from bus to train driver good, most drivers I know of have only come from IE.

BE and DB staff must be worried, much better talent outside CIE ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Both staff do cleaning, ISS a better one at that....

And many of us have applied for it online just incase

But at the moment there's no option to apply via the internal channels which is the issue

The unions are backing up saying we should be able to transfer across if suitable from the tests etc. So we should keep service status etc.

This has not been advertised internally this time round and there seems to be an issue with getting answers from management

It's not that much of a sought after job within Irish rail anymore,, the money is grand but you can't move for new rules and regulations. I've talked to a few drivers and they have all said the same thing, don't go for the driving. It's never interested me anyway. It seems to interest mainly the new staff and the bus drivers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

So is it 45k all in. Does your pension come out of this also?. Also is there overtime on occasion and if so is it paid on top of gross salary or included in it.

Just asking as I'm above the 45k in my current job but this is somthing that really intrigues me but the financial side is holding me back a bit.

It's not that much of a sought after job within Irish rail anymore,, the money is grand but you can't move for new rules and regulations. I've talked to a few drivers and they have all said the same thing, don't go for the driving. It's never interested me anyway. It seems to interest mainly the new staff and the bus drivers etc.

We've an awful lot of new staff in both Dublin bus and bus Eireann, who funny enough also came from the "outside" just like I did when I was new.

Plenty of level headed people in both companies.

It may not be sought after in IE but in both bus companies an awful lot of people are happy to jump for it.

The two bus companies aren't safe anymore don't forget, Dublin bus losing routes and BE losing even more because the NTA want to dismantle both of them and with private operators on the up an awful lot of people are worried about their jobs, so of course we're going to be very interested in moving over.

I don't know what'll happen in regards to this anyway but we'll wait and see !

• Advertisement

Yes.

Advertisement