Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parental leave bill

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hi, thanks for flagging this. What are the key changes proposed? Why do you think they are needed? What's the counter (employer side) view?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for flagging this. What are the key changes proposed? Why do you think they are needed? What's the counter (employer side) view?

The key change is this will increase parental leave from 18 weeks to 26 weeks. This does not need to be consecutive so it can be taken in chunks or even single days and is also unpaid so i don't believe any employer opposing it has much of a leg to stand on.

I cant really understand the governments sudden opposition to it either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭FionnB

Very interesting! My mail from a few weeks ago was shunted around several different departments until I finally received a vague and unhelpful reply to say they couldn't tell me when it will come into law and they understand it is being amended. But it went through Dail months ago so I don't understand this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 muffinman11

The bill will increase the time of parental leave from 18 weeks to 26. For me my work only allows me to take this as one days leave a week, which is what I wanted to do anyway. I find it amazing as I have one day extra to spend with the kids and one less day to pay for creche. My employer still expects me to get my five days work done in the four days which I do as my work load actually increased a bit not decreased. So they are not loosing out. I'm sure some employers may loose out. In my dh work they can take parental leave in blocks of weeks so a lot of people use it to take extra time off when their kids are on mid term break etc but obviously it's unpaid. I just find it great to have a better work life balance. A five day week and never seeing my kids would be so hard and with creche fee's already so expensive it may not be worth my while working at all. Anything that can help with flexibility for parents is great and keep more women in the work force.
    Anyone who agrees please get on to work td's. Desperately want this to be passed!

Advertisement