Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gum. patches. vaping. comparison?

Options
  • 19-12-2018 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Do ye have any thoughts on the best way to get off the smokes. Do ye find vaping better than gum & patches? Smoke 20/day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Itdepends wrote: »
    Do ye have any thoughts on the best way to get off the smokes. Do ye find vaping better than gum & patches? Smoke 30/day

Tried all the gums and patches.
    Hated the taste of the gum and the patches didn't work for me at all.
    Picked up a basic vape pen in February 2014 and from that day on have not taken a drag off a smoke.
    For me personally vaping was the only thing that got me off the smokes after years of trying everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

20 a day man since I was fourteen, at age 41 after trying gum, patches, that drug I can’t remember the name of, I discovered vaping, thank god!

Get a small good quality one, don’t use tobacco flavored juice, stick with it, you may get a cough or chest infection initially, don’t blame the vape, it’s your lungs clearing out the tar and crap.

After about a week you will feel better and find smoking repulsive,

I put €50 in a jar every week since, up to €17000 now.....seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I smoked 20 a day for the best part of 25 years and tried going cold turkey and the patches a few times but it never worked. A random Youtube recommendation led me to the Indoor Smokers vape review channel and I decided to give it a shot and haven't looked back since. Once you have a decent setup and juice sorted out, the money you start saving really is mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Itdepends

Glen Immal wrote: »
    20 a day man since I was fourteen, at age 41 after trying gum, patches, that drug I can’t remember the name of, I discovered vaping, thank god!

Get a small good quality one, don’t use tobacco flavored juice, stick with it, you may get a cough or chest infection initially, don’t blame the vape, it’s your lungs clearing out the tar and crap.

After about a week you will feel better and find smoking repulsive,

I put €50 in a jar every week since, up to €17000 now.....seriously
    No further motivation needed

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Phill_M

Yeah the gum didn't work for me, patches gave me a rash etc.

Managed a few months a few times going cold turkey but the only thing that lasted long-term was vaping and now I have no interest in smoking.

I'd just say, don't get a crappy cheap plastic thing for 2 quid. I started on a cigalike VIP that was pure crap, went back on the smokes. But nowadays a basic starter kit from a proper vape shop or website is miles ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Itdepends

Vapes it is then. dabbled with the gum and patches before and just didn't do it. So yeh everyone seems to be winning with the vapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭dball

What they all said above

Go for it and make it work. It’s as easy as 1 2 3. After 3 or 4 days youlll be kicking yourself for not trying it years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

For me, the patches & microtabs were a temporary fix, always went back on the cigs after 3 or 6 months, muscle memory & the whole hand to mouth thing is what fecks the whole thing up, the physiological side of nicotine addiction is the hardest

Vaping full time 5 years now, mix of cigs & vape for a month or so at the start, wouldn't put a cig in my mouth now.

Definitely do a bit of research on what to buy, avoid cheap starter kits even though that's what I started with, I don't use anything too fancy, an Aspire Nautilus mini, works for me, get a couple of batteries, it may take a while to find juices you like, I like the sweet ones, don't like the tobacco ones but give it a little time, you won't look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I've tried it all, I continued smoking while trying the gum and patches which led to a nasty nic OD at one point. My skin turned green right around where I had a patch on at one point. I also tried the nic spray, horrid stuff, tastes like pepper and dries your throat right out. After bad experiences with these I gave one last shot to the just then released smokegreen cig-a-like vapes - before I knew it I'd gone 3 months without a smoke, that's when I began to research vaping a lot more. That was 5 years ago, not so much as had a pull on a cig since.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

As much as I love vaping I have to mention Champix. It's a drug that makes you not want to smoke. It's only available on prescription. You take it for a few months until you feel you don't need it anymore.

I gave up for a year with it. twice. Each time I failed I started smoking whilst locked over xmas. You can't really blame the drug for that.

There are side effects. I got really trippy vivid dreams. Not nightmares or anything, just vivid dreams.

I have friends who gave up with it as well. One got panic attacks (She already had generalized anxiety disorder). The rest suffered no side effects beyond vivid dreams.

It's something you should talk to your GP about and they can give you far better advice than I can.

• Advertisement

^If nothing else is working, could definitely be worth a shot. I know two people it worked perfectly for, and 3 or 4 people that say it was useless, but they didn't follow the guidelines properly as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

tryed everything from patches to tablets to reading books,off the smokes a few years now thanks to vaping..get to a good vape shop,have a chat,buy a decent vape and some decent liquid.and most of all choose the right strength juice,some folk just buy the strongest liquid as they think its the safest bet.its not and will turn you off,but as i say have a chat with your local vape shop,and best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

Itdepends wrote: »
    Do ye have any thoughts on the best way to get off the smokes. Do ye find vaping better than gum & patches? Smoke 20/day

Well vaping can actually be a pleasurable experience, more pleasurable than actual smoking.
    There is absolutely no comparison between gum patches and vape.

Just another point that i shall add,when i quit smoking i had realy bad withdrawls,i could sleep for 8 plus hours every night,come 12 mid day id be falling asleep again,i had "quitters flu".and also my breathing went bad for a while ..but one of the biggest withdrawls i had was a sore mouth,sore gums,blisters and sores in my mouth,now the reason i mention this is a few people i know that used vaping to quit suffered some withdrawls that i did,and they blamed the vaping,also experiment with many flavors and the likes,i went from a vape pen and using vaping to quit to buying vape mods and realy getting in to the whole scene,when i did smoke i was smoking a huge amount daily i was a few years off a breathing machine,in the space of a few years i have turned that around..

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Steve666

When I started vaping, and developed a sore throat, a non-smoking, non-vaping, but very intelligent friend of mine suggested that the sudden removal of smoke and its antibacterial properties could trigger a huge re-balancing of bacteria. The bacteria in smokers mouths and lungs etc. will have altered over years of abuse, and possibly it just takes time to readjust. This wasn't based on science or anything - just a possibility that occurred to her...

@steve666 when i quit i felt 100 times worse for at least 3 mths...esp my mouth..and my breathing went realy bad,again when i looked in to it as you said there its the system clearing out.and the quitter flu,i would wake up fine,then come evening feel like i was getting a bad cold,then be fine the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Steve666

Jeez, sounds rough. Fair play for soldiering through it.

Steve666 wrote: »
    Jeez, sounds rough. Fair play for soldiering through it.

yeah but like a few folk i know they stuck it down to starting to vape,no idea the body "can" go through serious withdrawls,i also go serious gum bleeds,it would drip into me throat at night,so when i spat in the morning it was blood...convinced meself i was dying..also in my attempts to quit i also done the following

PATCHES
    yeah worked ok,but never realy took the want away,so i struggled for around 3 mths and back smoking

CHAMPIX TABLETS
    yeah worked great.but had the worse nightmares known to man,and also the most trippy dreams ever,stayed away from smokes for around 7 mths,went to a wedding and the demon beer had to go hand in hand with smoking,so i said "ill smoke for a day,"..back on them

ALAN CARR BOOK
    feck off i said,a book not a hope,read the book and did not touch a smoke for a year,but was a huge struggle,esp if having a beer,so i gave in..

VAPING
    started with just a pen,and never had one desire to smoke,vaping has now turned in to a hobby,as i have a light of high end gear,and love to sample many flavors,also great when having a beer as i can vape away..and will never smoke again,,

Some people can have a reaction to PG as well, though rare.

Everyone in my family that tried vaping had bad headaches and sore throats when first trying on early cigalike systems, and I had then again when I gave it another go on 30\70 PG\VG ratio eliquid. Once I went to subohm and high VG everything went so much better. I do get a side effect of dry skin from vaping anything with PG but I tend to ignore it because I haven't found any VG concentrates that I like for DIY.

It's definitely worth experimentation and research before deciding vaping isn't for you, because the benefits are there to be had. Shortly after quitting cigarettes, I started a very physical job that required me to be outside 90% of the day and I never would have coped had I not gotten off them. I haven't had a chest infection in over 3 years either, and I used to get them at least every once every winter. In fact, I've barely had a cold since switching.

Advertisement